Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 May 20, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyorefanuk
Imagineer

One thing I meant to ask was do you have any BA Avios points
Old 28 May 20, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Eeyorefanuk View Post
Your itinerary sounds lovely but I still feel night or 2 on way home if you don’t want do GC at the end (or could do 3/2 or 2/3)

I think Maui 5 lovely (not stayed but where you said is supposed be lovely)

Minimum 5 aulani (won’t want to leave). Cheesecake Factory opened reasonably close now in mall

Waikiki 3/4 if do not want do much site seeing and happy to go go go but not much spare time for the beach - pearl harbour?
Dukes on Sunday around 4/5pm live music on the patio - lovely vibe. People dancing

If want go dukes/their other restaurant sign up and mention honeymoon/birthday if can
I have only ever done short stays in Aulani and prefer other parts in Hawaii to Aulani - though it is LOVELY and it’s a deluxe wonderful fabulous resort which captures the heart and soul of Hawaii - I prefer other places (I know I’m a total anomaly here) and I’d shave a night off from there if I had to.

Consider doing Pearl Harbour on the day you leave Waikiki and head to Aulani - it’s on the way - be sure you keep your luggage invisible and carry valuables and documents on your person...
Old 28 May 20, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Both yes but not to stay. I do completely recommend giving yourself something to look forward to on the way home, and a two night stay would give you that

I’m not particularly recommending the Trader Sams for the night thing, especially the way we did it!

Our flight from Maui to LAX got delayed and then the luggage thingys broke (honestly we are cursed with LAX!), then the traffic leaving LAX was gridlocked to the point that what is usually a $60 trip was well over $100. We finally got to our hotel, literally threw our bags in the room and raced to Trader Sams. I think we got there at about 10.45 😂 hence we stayed until they chucked us out! Most expensive night out ever when you factor in the Uber costs...!
I’m so concerned about LAX after reading some horror stories! I was hoping we could fly from Honolulu to Santa Monica on the way back but it doesn’t seem to be a route - it would have worked perfect for doing two nights there then LAX to LHR.

I’m going to get the spreadsheet back out and see where to amend some time to fit in the two nights at the end I think
orlandoamber is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

Your itinerary sounds lovely but I still feel night or 2 on way home if you don’t want do GC at the end (or could do 3/2 or 2/3)

I think Maui 5 lovely (not stayed but where you said is supposed be lovely)

Minimum 5 aulani (won’t want to leave). Cheesecake Factory opened reasonably close now in mall

Waikiki 3/4 if do not want do much site seeing and happy to go go go but not much spare time for the beach - pearl harbour?
Dukes on Sunday around 4/5pm live music on the patio - lovely vibe. People dancing

If want go dukes/their other restaurant sign up and mention honeymoon/birthday if can
Ooo I love the Cheesecake Factory

We will definitely be going to Duke’s I think, thanks for the tip

I was looking at the Alohilani hotel again in Waikiki and they’ve got a stay four nights get the fifth free offer on, and you also get $150 credit to use onsite which can be used at Morimoto Asia. It works out to be approx £1500 ($1900) for 5 nights in an ocean view room (looks more partial view but that’s ok) over our dates plus the credit to use. It’s flexible cancellation until 72 hours before (which I think just means free cancellation). This is making me lean towards doing 5 nights there but not sure if it’s still more than we could be paying for this type of accommodation? Seems ok?
orlandoamber is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

One thing I meant to ask was do you have any BA Avios points
Unfortunately not Haven’t flown BA since 2016 and don’t have any cards or anything where you collect them.
Old 28 May 20, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by orlandoamber View Post
Ooo I love the Cheesecake Factory

We will definitely be going to Duke’s I think, thanks for the tip

I was looking at the Alohilani hotel again in Waikiki and they’ve got a stay four nights get the fifth free offer on, and you also get $150 credit to use onsite which can be used at Morimoto Asia. It works out to be approx £1500 ($1900) for 5 nights in an ocean view room (looks more partial view but that’s ok) over our dates plus the credit to use. It’s flexible cancellation until 72 hours before (which I think just means free cancellation). This is making me lean towards doing 5 nights there but not sure if it’s still more than we could be paying for this type of accommodation? Seems ok?
I think that’s VERY expensive for Alohilani!

But if you can cancel later you’ve nothing to lose.
Old 28 May 20, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m so concerned about LAX after reading some horror stories! I was hoping we could fly from Honolulu to Santa Monica on the way back but it doesn’t seem to be a route - it would have worked perfect for doing two nights there then LAX to LHR.

I’m going to get the spreadsheet back out and see where to amend some time to fit in the two nights at the end I think
Fly into LAX and Taxi/Uber it’s not that far. There are much closer beach places though.
Old 28 May 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

I think that’s VERY expensive for Alohilani!

But if you can cancel later you’ve nothing to lose.
I love the dibb for giving me other opinions, thank you As I’ve never looked at Hawaii before I’m totally not sure what to expect on prices! All of the hotels seem expensive too at the random dummy dates I’ve looked at (September 2020 and May 2021) and the Alohilani is one of the only hotels actually showing our dates so far, so I’ll keep looking but may book it on the free cancellation as a back up.
Old 28 May 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

Fly into LAX and Taxi/Uber it’s not that far. There are much closer beach places though.
Are there any other beach places you’d recommend? Sorry I feel like I’ve drained you of all west coast knowledge the past few days thank you sooo much!
Old 28 May 20, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Are there any other beach places you’d recommend? Sorry I feel like I’ve drained you of all west coast knowledge the past few days thank you sooo much!
I think my previous choices might be too low budget for you but we loved Queen Kapiolani which has sea views (if you pay), lovely staff, lovely quiet location but easy walking distance to the restaurants you’ve mentioned, 150 yards to the beach etc. I’m sure I recently saw a deal on Travelzoo which had five nights for about $500 but I might have dreamt that! The year before we had an apartment on floor 25 on Kuhio Avenue and the noise was awful, so the peace was very welcome!

It’s a two minute walk to a ‘must do’ casual eatery - Lulus