Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 May 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
I agree, they have always been expensive, well over £1000 a week, typically £1500 in Summer. We always used to go to cornwall, that’s why we decided to start going to Florida 😂😂

As for putting their prices up, supply and demand surely ?
But they are more expensive this year because of covid.
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Emmymouse View Post
I think it really depends on what holiday experience you're looking for.

We have two dogs - so they come with us which puts out city break style weekends. We also like to get out into the countryside or the beach and be able to be outside. Those sorts of holidays always cost significantly more than a couple of nights in Watford.
Didn’t say I stayed in Watford and it was a week but hey ho
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmymouse
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
Didn’t say I stayed in Watford and it was a week but hey ho
Didn't say you did, but my labradors still can't go to Thorpe park with me I was just raising the point that yes, you can get cheap breaks away, but it might not be the experience other people are looking for.
WDW/Coronado Springs - 24th September 2020 - 1st October 2020.
Emmymouse is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by Emmymouse View Post
Didn't say you did, but my labradors still can't go to Thorpe park with me I was just raising the point that yes, you can get cheap breaks away, but it might not be the experience other people are looking for.
Last paragraph of yours said slightly different from Watford for a couple of nights

I was trying to give a view of cheap holidays, even ones that you can take your dog to, I was just saying I have had plenty of cheap holidays around the uk, they can be found
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Uk holidays are generally quite expensive, if you consider holiday cottages then the cost to purchase in the U.K. in a sought after area will be high. The owner will then want to recoup the cost/cover mortgage or whatever. Insurances will be expensive in comparison to other countries, there will be legal requirements, staff costs will be higher etc.
Supply and demand means July to September means high demand, therefore increased price. Potentially off season the margins are small if at all.
There will be high demand now due to the uncertainties and unwillingness to travel on public transport and many in the hospitality industry are facing a very difficult time because a big proportion of the season has been wiped out. If they are able to increase their prices and people are prepared to pay it then I see no issue if it helps keep their businesses afloat.
I have a price I’m prepared to pay and if it exceeds that I don’t pay it.
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH

Edited at 12:46 PM.
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
I foolishly thought they might be desperate for business but clearly not.

Oh well - abroad we'll go when we can!
I think you are actually correct, most independents are so desperate for business (and they think we are desperate for a break) that they have put up prices.

If you think about it, a mom&pop B&B in Illfracombe (sorry to Illfracombe could have been any UK beach) will usually charge £80 a night for the peak 5 months (May-Sept) and they have 3 rooms.

Now they know they will run at 80% occupancy for that period so it's about £29K turnover they expect and then trickles for the rest of the year.

They know they are going to miss May & June now so thats now an expectation of only getting £17K. So a £12K loss on plans.

They could take that on the chin, or they could hope we are all desperate for a change of scenery and up prices for the Jul-Sept timeframe to £133 per room, and suddenly they make the same money and everyone who wants a holiday gets one (yes they paid more, but they wanted it)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
I imagine also due to the fact that they have been closed since March with no guests.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
Which is causing an increased demand for UK breaks as holidays abroad are looking less likely.

Everything is supply and demand no matter the underlying causes. Same as airline fares going up because of Thomas cook going bust. It was made out that someone somewhere pressed a miraculous button that increases prices where in reality it is all traffic based, computer software sees loads of people looking at hotel rooms/plane tickets and adjusts accordingly

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
hols2florida
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Have a look at a website called Argantel. They have 3 really nice cottages in the lovely, small village of St Agnes, Cornwall. We’ve stayed twice & would definitely go back. It’s also reasonably priced. I think the dearest is a week in August at £850, September is more like £600.
hols2florida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I've seen a Travelodge by the seaside that's £90 for a 3-night weekend break in July. We'll probably end up booking that will as it's not far from where the in-laws live and we've stayed there before.

I'm not a holiday snob by any means and have been on plenty of £9.50 Sun holidays, PI/Travelodge city breaks etc. but I wanted more of a luxury UK break with self-catering facilities, just in case pubs and restaurants aren't open. The price difference is staggering though - £90 for 3-nights at Travelodge vs £900 for Forest Holidays.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List