Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 May 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
loobz
Imagineer

loobz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
there are some truly lovely places to visit in the UK and we've always enjoyed our UK breaks. We have also stayed for a week in a Premier Inn and used it as a base - my children absolutely loved it and we did so much.

The weather can be hit and miss but, like in Florida, if it rains you just put on your coat and get on with it.

Would definitely do it again, the children are much older now so we would have to have 2 rooms if they came with us but I'd be happy to go just with DH for a few days.
Old 28 May 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
One of the reasons we bought a touring caravan, wonderful views, comfy accommodation, every thing we need and cheap holidays (after the initial layout). We would normally be away in it this week and have our fingers crossed for the summer.
Old 28 May 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I am sorry I have to disagree.
Before lockdown, one of the hire companies which I am a consultant for had over 20 weeks booked across the board this company has over 100 hire craft and I believe the same can be said for the Norfolk Broads.

Hire craft costs are significantly more than the pleasure craft more insurance and a higher licence fee to name but two.
I think you are agreeing with PoohBearFan. They said that hire boat companies are too expensive and you seem to saying similar in that commercial boats are all more expensive than private ones.

The basic premise is still true though, for the amount a two-week holiday in a UK narrowboat costs, you could have a fantastic holiday in Spain/Portugal and be guaranteed sunshine
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
One of the reasons we bought a touring caravan, wonderful views, comfy accommodation, every thing we need and cheap holidays (after the initial layout). We would normally be away in it this week and have our fingers crossed for the summer.
How many times have you used the caravan. When we had ours we used to count down the nightly cost

First trip, Lovely holiday only cost us £7,000 a night for the weekend (van cost £14K)

Next trip, 7 days in Cornwall, so now down to £1,500 a night

It will take 180 days before it works out cheaper than just staying in an average Marriott hotel each night
Old 28 May 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
How many times have you used the caravan. When we had ours we used to count down the nightly cost

First trip, Lovely holiday only cost us £7,000 a night for the weekend (van cost £14K)

It will take 180 days before it works out cheaper than just staying in an average Marriott hotel each night
Many caravan owners get a lot of value out of their caravan. I know Twin Mummy uses hers many times throughout the summer.

We bought a second hand van 4 years ago for £7000, it’s quite old and certainly not grand, but it’s comfortable and serves its purpose. We’ve used it regularly since then, certainly making it an affordable or even a cheap holiday.

It’s also personal choice, we love the freedom of the caravan. We like staying in open fields with beautiful views, peace and quiet and wildlife all around. Other caravan owners prefer busy sites with clubs, entertainment, pools and fun for the children. Having a caravan gives many options. I appreciate it won’t suit everyone but it can be a reasonably cheap and enjoyable holiday for many
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews

We've had it 6 years so far and been away for an average 4 weeks a year (plus shorter breaks) so think we are already up to 180+ nights.

For us it was about lifestyle as we got it when we got 2 dogs- didn't really want to leave them and we have had some fantastic holidays.
Old 28 May 20, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
We've had it 6 years so far and been away for an average 4 weeks a year (plus shorter breaks) so think we are already up to 180+ nights.

For us it was about lifestyle as we got it when we got 2 dogs- didn't really want to leave them and we have had some fantastic holidays.
We loved our caravan, only sold it when we emigrated for work.

I was just pointing out that caravans aren't cheap accomodation, unless you do use them. We did by the time we sold it, and we had a little 'un in there with us, which is much more bearable than a travelodge room share
Old 28 May 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfreaks
Imagineer

Mobile

This is our issue, we’d love to holiday more in the UK but the prices here are just ridiculous !
Disneyfreaks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

We're going to try and get some nights camping later in the summer if possible but no way am I paying some of the crazy prices I've seen.

It's not as though nice weather is always likely either, I'd rather save for something abroad next year instead.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 20, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Mobile

We loved our caravan, only sold it when we emigrated for work.

I was just pointing out that caravans aren't cheap accomodation, unless you do use them. We did by the time we sold it, and we had a little 'un in there with us, which is much more bearable than a travelodge room share
Which is why I’d put after the initial outlay. You have to know that it is something you will use, but long term it can be cost effective. One of the reasons we got it was the high price of UK holiday cottages/ hotels as we are stuck to school holidays for the foreseeable future (I’m a teacher) so we can take much more frequent holidays- last year we went away the least I think and still managed 4 weeks in total. Hoping to do at least 2 breaks over the summer if we are allowed. If not it is on my MIL’s drive in the country so we might go and stay with them- keeping socially distanced!