Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 10 Nov 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile Christmas Dinner Starter Ideas (not fish or seafood or pate)

And so other than boring soup I'm a bit stuck!

Any other ideas dibbers?

If we have dinner at home I do Yorkshire puds with gorgeous onion gravy as a starter but we're eating at mums this year where each of us is bringing a course each and so I don't feel like I can take over her kitchen to make enough yorkies for 10 of us!

I was hoping M&S may inspire me but it's all fish, seafood and pate!
mskitty is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

What about doing something like a charcuterie plate? or were you thinking something hot?
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
What about doing something like a charcuterie plate? or were you thinking something hot?
Not necessarily and that would be easy for me to prepare in advance too. Thank you
mskitty is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

No problem, as you say it might take a bit of pressure of the kitchen
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Mobile

Haggis bon bons and peppercorn sauce

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

Why not do a non-boring soup? Try sweet potato, chilli and coconut milk, with a few toasted pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top.

Can be made in 20 mins the day before and tastes amazing

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Mobile

What about some fruit? Sounds boring I know, but it’s refreshing and not too heavy. I did a platter thing a couple of years ago:-

We’re at my uncles this year and he said we’re not having a starter. I was disappointed but actually I think it’s a good idea, as we always end up too full by the time pudding comes around!
Old 10 Nov 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A sallad with grilled goats cheese - for example like this one ” Goat’s cheese, pear & candied pecan salad”: bbcgoodfood/recipes/...ed-pecan-salad

Or if you dont like goats cheese I I know there are plenty of recipes of other salads with a fruit/ cheese combo - feta cheese mozarella or blue cheese for example. Figs, peaches or strawberry.
Tigger71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Asparagus wrapped in Parma ham or salmon with a Hollandaise sauce (which can be made the day or morning before)

The easier yummy starter is portabello mushroom filled with Boursin and topped with herby breadcrumbs
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Garlic mushrooms and Mozzarella sticks with a variety of dipping sauces including a decent mayonnaise