Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Nov 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Essie1000
Very Serious Dibber

Electric clothes dryer

I’m looking at electric clothes dryer’s as I don’t like using the tumble a lot. There are a lot to choose from, does anyone have any recommendations?
July 2019 Westhaven & RPR
Essie1000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I have a John Lewis one brand one and rate it highly . Folds up to nothing and store away next to washing machine in utility room and it folds out to take a large load - I mainly use it for drying my super king size bedding as I hate it creased in a tumble dryer . Smooth out the bedding and fold it neatly and hang it over switch on and the gentle heat does the rest in a few hours (they are not built for speed but for clothes care and I believe cheaper to run than a tumble )

johnlewis/john-lewis...46&tmcampid=48

Edited at 10:33 AM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I was lucky enough to get the Aldi one for £10, it's normally £29.99. I dry outside if possible so it's handy as a back up. It's certainly worth £10 anyway.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve got the Lakeland one, which was a gift. I didn’t know there were others. I’m really pleased with it but it’s quite expensive. I’ve got the 3-tier one with the cover.
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

We’ve got the John Lewis one with a cover. We use it in our small dressing room and it’s great.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

I’ve got the Lakeland one with a cover and some mesh shelves - from QVC when it was TSV. To be honest it isn’t as good as I expected. I would never dry towels on it as they go stiff but it takes one mixed load easily and two loads if you fold Tshirts etc in half to hang them. Hanging clothes seem to take forever to dry and only the bit hanging on the bar dries.

After several weeks experimenting all socks and undies get laid out on the top mesh shelf. I fold everything else in half and lay across bars instead of hanging which is fine for one load and it drys quickly. Once nearly dry I start the next load and when that’s finished I fold the first load and put the pile on one of the lower shelves while I lay the 2nd load across the shelves. Last weekend I did 3 full loads, starting at 10 and all the washing was dry enough to put away by about 7. Lakeland say it cost between 4p and 6p an hour to run so a maximum of 60p to dry 3 loads.

My old way was quicker: sheet over normal airer with small 1kw fan heater blowing into the ‘tent’. Not as neat looking, noisy and expensive to run.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I’ve got the Lakeland one, which was a gift. I didn’t know there were others. I’m really pleased with it but it’s quite expensive. I’ve got the 3-tier one with the cover.
We have this one as well, I agree not cheap but excellent but you do need the cover as well as it makes a huge amount of difference to the drying time

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Originally Posted by paw View Post
I’ve got the Lakeland one with a cover and some mesh shelves - from QVC when it was TSV. To be honest it isn’t as good as I expected. I would never dry towels on it as they go stiff but it takes one mixed load easily and two loads if you fold Tshirts etc in half to hang them. Hanging clothes seem to take forever to dry and only the bit hanging on the bar dries.

After several weeks experimenting all socks and undies get laid out on the top mesh shelf. I fold everything else in half and lay across bars instead of hanging which is fine for one load and it drys quickly. Once nearly dry I start the next load and when that’s finished I fold the first load and put the pile on one of the lower shelves while I lay the 2nd load across the shelves. Last weekend I did 3 full loads, starting at 10 and all the washing was dry enough to put away by about 7. Lakeland say it cost between 4p and 6p an hour to run so a maximum of 60p to dry 3 loads.

My old way was quicker: sheet over normal airer with small 1kw fan heater blowing into the ‘tent’. Not as neat looking, noisy and expensive to run.
We've got the Lakeland one, and use this method too.

FWIW, I live it, and wouldn't be without it. I mainly use it for stuff that can't be tumble dried.

I find that everything dries much more quickly when folded lengthways and laid flat across the bars, rather than hanging over the bars, if that makes sense. We have a lot if sports kit to wash, and can dry it layered up, 2 or 3 at a time. I rotate it if I remember/ have time!
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Essie1000 View Post
I’m looking at electric clothes dryer’s as I don’t like using the tumble a lot. There are a lot to choose from, does anyone have any recommendations?
Can I ask why you don’t like using the tumble dryer a lot?

It’s just that an electric clothes dryer will probably use the same amount of energy as a tumble dryer so it’s probably no more environmentally nor economically friendly.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Essie1000
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Can I ask why you don’t like using the tumble dryer a lot?

It’s just that an electric clothes dryer will probably use the same amount of energy as a tumble dryer so it’s probably no more environmentally nor economically friendly.
I think it would take to long and always worried clothes may shrink.
July 2019 Westhaven & RPR
Essie1000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List