Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 22 Apr 17, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Bier, Bratwurst und Bahnsteige: Day 2

Bier, Bratwurst und Bahnsteige: Day 2

Another good night's sleep and nobody was in a hurry to get up in the morning. However, we don't take the kids on holiday for them to lie around relaxing, so getting up was enforced and the moaning was minimal.

We loved our room and thought it was one of the nicest we'd ever stayed in.

I'd found a cafe for breakfast that looked quite reasonable, so we set off for it once everyone was dressed. However, when we got there, we saw that it had closed down . On the way back to the hotel, we spotted a little cafe offering croissant and coffee for 3 Euros, so stopped off there instead.

After breakfast, which was very nice, we grabbed our stuff from the hotel and headed out to explore more of the city.

The plan was to go back to the Holocaust memorial and visit the Museum which is underneath. We got the train to Potsdamer Platz and walked from there.

The museum is a very matter of fact and very moving history of the Holocaust. The commentary is in both English and German and tells the history of the systematic murder of 6 million people along with pictures and stories of individual lives. I found it very moving and although I knew about the Holocaust, the connection with individual lives really brought it home. One room has snippets from postcards and letters sent by those facing death and is almost unbearable. Another room lists those killed, with a brief biography. To read all the names takes over six and a half years.

One image that really shocked me was a map of Europe with all the sites where Jews were murdered - the sheer number of different places was unexpected.

We were all quite sombre and subdued afterwards - the scale of the lives lost had a real impact on us.

The next stop was the Topography of Terror - the museum built on the site of the former Gestapo headquarters. This is another free exhibition that tells the story of how the Gestapo and the SS became established and the impact that the Nazis had on people's lives. Again the commentary is in both German and English and uses contemporary news stories and photos to tell the story of the Nazi reign of terror.

Again, it was a sobering and difficult experience. One of the images that really stayed with me was of the Auschwitz guards laughing and posing at their relaxation retreat - after spending their working days organising mass murder.

There was also information about what happened at the end of the war. A number of the Nazis chose to commit suicide rather than to face justice but a large number were convicted and either executed or sentenced to jail - but the sentences were quite often reduced. It didn't seem right that so many of them spent so little time in jail considering what they had been part of.

By the end of the museum, we were all pretty much museumed-out, so we walked to Checkpoint Charlie and ate lunch at the Back Factory again. Afterwards, we called to have a better look at Fassbender und Rausch but didn't actually buy any chocolate. At this point, it was snowing outside so we hurried to the nearest station, which is very near by.

Paul wanted to see the Olympic Stadium which was built for the 1936 Olympics, so we caught the train out to it. These Olympics were meant to be Hitler's opportunity to show the world the superiority of German athletes, but he hadn't banked on Jesse Owens winning so many gold medals.

The stadium is a short walk from the station and is quite an impressive building.

We also took the opportunity to pose by the U2 U-Bahn sign, recreating a Joshua Tree like group photo.

We then headed back to the hotel, planning to take advantage of the free afternoon Kaffee und Kuchen. This is on the 7th floor and is a lovely airy space, with free hot and cold drinks, slices of cake and bowls of fruit. We had a lovely snack and as it was quite late, we had the place pretty much to ourselves.

The cake was lovely, particularly a cherry and chocolate cake. While we were there, we planned a short train trip. Partly to get the most out of our day ticket and partly because Paul was loving the S-Bahn in particular and it gave us a good opportunity to see some more of the city. We headed out on a loop that took us to Wannsee and then back into the city, getting to see part of the forest and a lot of very nice houses.

Paul isn't a great smiler, so this is him actually looking pretty ecstatic on a train!

After our train journey, we picked up some more beers from the supermarket and chilled in the room before heading out for Vietnamese food.

Saigon Green was just down the road and had great reviews. It didn't take credit cards and as we were worried about running low on cash, we got some more Euros out. We usually prefer to use the Halifax Clarity Card on holiday as that gives the best rate, but credit cards aren't as widely accepted in Germany, so it made sense to have enough cash.

We had a really lovely meal in Saigon Green - the food was so fresh and tasty and a really nice contrast to the heavier German food we'd been eating in the day. We all had a lovely evening and ended the day watching the Snooker on Eurosport. It felt somewhat strange to be watching an event taking place in our home city of Sheffield but with all the commentary in German!

Edited at 05:03 PM.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 17, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Whilst the museums visits treated difficult times, I think it is so important that our kids do know about that time in history.

The German S-bahn efficiency is great (we lived in Munich for 4 years! )

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 17, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Ha - love Paul's happy face!

I especially liked that there are no ticket barriers at the stations, so avoided me (as the ticket holder) having to dish out tickets everytime, as we do in London.

I thought it was good for the kids to see the topography of Terror, as it's a real slap round the face of the history of the war. It made it seem much more real to them.
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Whilst the museums visits treated difficult times, I think it is so important that our kids do know about that time in history.

The German S-bahn efficiency is great (we lived in Munich for 4 years! )
Germany really does have excellent public transport - we thought it was fab.

I am really glad we took the kids to these museums - it is so important that each generation learns about this. It wouldn't be suitable for much younger children but ours were at the right age to learn about the full impact of what happened.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mortimer Mouse View Post
Ha - love Paul's happy face!

I especially liked that there are no ticket barriers at the stations, so avoided me (as the ticket holder) having to dish out tickets everytime, as we do in London.

I thought it was good for the kids to see the topography of Terror, as it's a real slap round the face of the history of the war. It made it seem much more real to them.
The lack of ticket barriers did surprise me but it did make life easier. I guess they rely on people being unwilling to break the rules. We didn't see a single inspector though.

I agree on making the war more real - they learn about the build up to it in GCSE history but not the detail of what happened. I also really admire how Germany is not afraid to acknowledge its history.

Paul was having a lovely time, although his face would lead you to believe otherwise. Neither of the boys are particularly good at looking happy in photos - it's a good thing Hannah is there to brighten them up!
Old 23 Apr 17, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

In Munich (same system) the Inspectors do exist (they swoop in in groups of five or six so no avoiding them!) - but it seems nearly everyone buys a ticket!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 17, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Love Paul's happy face 😀And the effeciency of the trains would maud me very happy too. The museums sound fascinating but also upsetting but a part of history we all need to know about. Another great day and I loved the idea of coffee and came every afternoon.
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 18, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Another great day. The museums sound very moving but ever so important to visit, we will definitely go to both

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Germany really does have excellent public transport - we thought it was fab.

I am really glad we took the kids to these museums - it is so important that each generation learns about this. It wouldn't be suitable for much younger children but ours were at the right age to learn about the full impact of what happened.
Yes it was fab with transport... our hotel Melia and its near station, tram and bus.

We went to Berlin for husband 50th and son 21st last March and we enjoyed it... good history for my son.

I would go back there again when my knee get better.

Barcelona we had been there 3 times for Disney Cruise and we stayed 3 nights. Love it too.
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 18, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Interesting visits to the museums, as you say it must be very moving and I'm definitely going to make sure this is on the list for us. The trip on the train sounds a good idea, especially if the weather takes a turn for the worse!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List