Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Apr 19, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Gingerlife
Serious Dibber

Don't want to go!

We fly in 2 days and I am dreading it. I love Florida and always enjoy our holiday, however I feel more nervous this time and I don't know why!
I am a very nervous flyer and have been known to shed a year or two on a plane in the past. This time though it is consuming my every waking moment just worrying about it. If somebody told me that the holiday was cancelled I would probably breathe a sigh of relief which I know sounds ridiculous.
I am hoping I will be ok once I get on the plane but at this moment in time I can't see it happening 😩
Does anybody else feel like this before they go?
Gingerlife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I used to be like this when my children were younger. Now not so much so

Where are you flying from. I have a similar countdown
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Yes. I’m always the same. For me it’s not so much the flying although I am getting more nervous as I get older. But just a general anxiety that I’ve missed something or something will go wrong.

It disappears as soon as we are in the hire car and driving away from the airport and I wonder what on earth I was worrying about.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I have been like this in the past, ruins the build up to going away. I ended up at gp, who gave me propranalol (sp), maybe a visit will reassure you, . Once you've at airport it seems to lessen xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Go and see your Gp explain your anxiety over flying. Not that I like to recommend medication but I was given Diazepam and it worked wonders really calmed me down.
Like you I used to be a nervous wreck now I prefer long haul to short.
Do you know what it is that makes you anxious, for me it was being enclosed ..not being able to get off claustrophobia. That's why I am better on long haul, more airy, spacious, always book PE or above and always sit by the window. The window is my escape... I can look at and admire the view, the clouds anything to take my mind off it.
I used to feel really sick ( nervous) not actually but it left my stomach all churned up, now I won't get on a plane without eating well beforehand. A complete turn around to a couple of years ago.
Can you download some mellow music ( like they have in a spa) sit there with your eyes closed, you never know you may fall asleep and when you wake you'll feel tons better.
Old 29 Apr 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

I feel for you because I am the same before I go on holiday. Sending you hugs.

When I get on the plane I tell the crew I am a nervous flyer and generally they have been fab visiting me often to make sure I am ok and to have a chat to help pass time and take my mind of my nerves.

When we went to rome last year I couldn't get on the plane I started crying at the bottom step. The crew on Ryan Air were fantastic they came and had a chat with me and gave me a hug. the pilot was giving me a thumbs up sign from the window...

When I am on the plane I break it down to half hour chunks and try and keep busy.. writting lists or chatting to people. I also try and do some breathing exercises. Over the years I have got better but even though am not away till next March I have been worried about the flight already.

Sorry to jump your post I thought by sharing you would see your not alone. Always here if you need a chat and I know other Dibbers will be along with fantastic help soon.

take care 💖
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Every time we fly, i always say the day before that if someone told me it was cancelled then I’d be relieved - but the truth is, the following day I’d be gutted that I wasn’t there!

The holiday itself I’m desperate for, but I too hate flying. I would say that I had a particularly bad year where I really was tearful and scared and was convinced that I must be having a premonition that this time we really were going to crash! With the help of medication I got there and tbh whilst for a few years afterwards it was still unpleasant, after that particularly bad year, it has never been quite so bad since (probably as my ‘premonition’ didn’t happen!)

These days I still hate it, but a couple of years ago we flew to the US four times in one year, and that definitely helped. I guess when it becomes more regular, it’s more like getting on a bus - I assume that’s how regular business travellers must see it?
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

If you are finding the prospect of the flight so debilitating I think a trip to the doctor to get some Diazepam (or similar) is in order, it works wonders, the doc should only give you the required amount of tablets to get you through the journey not packs of the stuff. If you really need it that’s what that kind of thing is there for.

My DH used to be REALLY frightened by flying and he’s used Diazepam (just for flying) for a few years. It’s worked so well that he doesn’t really need it anymore.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
tigerfee
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I too hate flying.
One time I got in such an anxious state by the time I reached New York I was sick all night couldn't eat or sleep for 3 days!

I have learned to control it better now. I don't want to live my life hiding from my fears so I make myself book and go. The more I do it the easier it gets.
If you feel it will help ask the doctor for something.
tigerfee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Mobile

I fly tomorrow and am feeling exactly the same. I’m currently at work trying not to be sick.
It’s an awful feeling and I’ve tried many things to stop it which haven’t worked so I can only offer you my sympathies!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List