Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Apr 20, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

If this is what the 70s and 80s were like I am even more grateful I grew up in the 90s and beyond. I will take the high house prices if I can keep everything else! I just hope my children don't have to live in this for long. It's crap.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

^^ you prefer endless traffic, pollution, everyone driving everywhere, self absorbed people walking about with their heads in phones all day , neighbours never bothering with each other , families having no time for each other etc etc
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
^^ you prefer endless traffic, pollution, everyone driving everywhere, self absorbed people walking about with their heads in phones all day , neighbours never bothering with each other , families having no time for each other etc etc
If the trade off is a society where the gender wage gap is decreasing, where a woman is less (note LESS) likely to be victim of sexual harassment at work, where she can take out finance without being guarantored by a man, when women, and men, have more choices generally, people can marry who they love, where there’s an equality act in place, Human rights and insanely better workers’ rights, where travel is more affordable for more people to see the world, and generally have more choices to live the way we want to live? Yes I will take the pollution, the busy lifestyle and absolutely the mobile phone for that lifestyle. Rose coloured glasses and all that, those decades were not the quaint existence you are painting for many. I sure as hell am glad I am a woman in 2020 rather than 1970.

Plus Netflix, obviously.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry I didn’t realise this was the positivity in Corona virus forum, I wouldn’t have been such an ar-se in my first post if I’d realised
Old 1 May 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bertiebear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sweeney_Todd View Post
I've not seen any white dog poo yet though.
That’s made me laugh so much! Why was the dog poo white?
Old 2 May 20, 01:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Sweeney_Todd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bertiebear View Post
Something to do with a higher bone content in processed food back then, hence more calcium. If left on the ground it would dry to a white colour and with a chalky texture. Not sure if it tasted chalky, probably!

"Right love, shut up and listen - an ADR for two at Crystal Palace, name of Regan. Got it?"

40?...Face?...Bovvered? ...-...Our Feb 2008 Trippies
Sweeney_Todd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 20, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sweeney_Todd View Post
Something to do with a higher bone content in processed food back then, hence more calcium. If left on the ground it would dry to a white colour and with a chalky texture. Not sure if it tasted chalky, probably!
And hairy dog poo? Dont see that now either...
Old 6 May 20, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza68
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bertiebear View Post
In the 70s, poop scooping was not a thing, in fact many dogs were just let out for the day. I think the poo turned white as it dried out. Yesterday evening I actually saw some. Not seen it since I was a kid
Wazza68 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
bluebell2go
slightly serious Dibber

When people are remembering the 70s and 80s with fondness I wonder if they are just remembering their childhood years. I've got fonder memories of the 50s and 60s even though I know they were poorer decades. 50s and 60s music takes me back to a very happy sunny time with memories of playing in the park and the Saturday matinee.

In reality I know it was a time when I got belted at school for arithmetical errors and not being able to see to read (I needed glasses and no-one knew) but the happy sunny memories are still the dominant ones.
bluebell2go is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bluebell2go View Post
When people are remembering the 70s and 80s with fondness I wonder if they are just remembering their childhood years. I've got fonder memories of the 50s and 60s even though I know they were poorer decades. 50s and 60s music takes me back to a very happy sunny time with memories of playing in the park and the Saturday matinee.

In reality I know it was a time when I got belted at school for arithmetical errors and not being able to see to read (I needed glasses and no-one knew) but the happy sunny memories are still the dominant ones.
I think your right and it probably applies from the 90s and going back. I’d say tho anything after the 90s has seen everything speed up factor in social media globalisation and the acceptance of global warming and being made to feel guilty about everything has made our childhoods seem so much simpler and easy and better. I wonder if the children of the noughties will feel the same in the future.
I’m still amazed how good the weather is and I’m definitely putting it down to fewer cars planes and it’s nice to see people talking over the fences and being polite. So 1970s/80s😀
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List