Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 26 Jul 20, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Wonder on the West Coast: Day 10 - Mazatlán

Index

Wednesday 30th October 2019

It’s Wednesday; it’s the day before Halloween; and it’s Pirate Night! Despite being at our second port of call - Mazatlán - we had no plans to get off the ship today. We had previously booked an excursion in the city’s so-called ‘Golden Zone’ but after some further research we decided the 20 minute drive through the slightly less safer parts of the city just wasn’t worth the risk. Timing would also be tight as the ship left port early and it being Pirate Night we’d be missing out on lots of fun activities onboard.

So with no immediate plans, Jo and I decided we would use the time to get some exercise. After the usual morning coffee, Jo was off to the gym at 8:30am while I caught up with my notes and let Isabella sleep.

Ready for the gym

Jo returned just after 9am after a 20 minute run on the treadmill. Now it was my turn to head to the gym where I did some weights for about 20 minutes and then headed back to find Isabella now awake and, having already had her milk, making her own trip report notes.

Being in port means access to the internet so we spent a little bit of time catching up with social media and current events before getting ready for breakfast - Cabanas style!

Good morning Isabella

Hello Mazatlán

After another lovely breakfast we took advantage of the free time to visit the Buena Vista Theatre and watch the new live action Aladdin movie. Despite some negative reviews we really enjoyed it and it was nice to be able to catch it on the ‘big screen’. We weren’t the only ones who enjoyed the film, one guest had brought along his service dog who also seemed to enjoy it!

At the theatre

"Hello!"

We left the theatre, made a quick stop at the room to pick up some washing, headed down the hall to guest laundry, and then it was time to get some lunch. For a change of scenery, and as we had time to kill, we decided to go for a more leisurely lunch in Triton’s - I say ‘leisurely’ because if it’s anything like lunch at Lumiere’s (the Tritons equivalent on board the Disney Magic) it’ll take ages!

Entering Triton’s we were shown to a table and after perusing the menu Jo went for the Cobb Salad (which she said was really good), I opted for a burger, and Isabella decided she wasn’t hungry and just had a couple of bread rolls. Jo and I both had an iced tea to wash down what was a delicious lunch.

Triton’s lunch

Isabella had wanted to spend some time in the pool, so that was our next destination. Jo and I decided not to get in the water and sat poolside with a couple of drinks of the day while Isabella enjoyed multiple trips down the Twist ‘n’ Spout Slide.

Time for a drink of the day

Isabella on her way up to the slide

And another one!

Multiple slides later!

Nicer Mazatlán views

After about 45 minutes, Jo went to sort out the washing and while I got Isabella out of the swimming pool and got her dry.

Jo returned and we headed down to the Walt Disney Theatre to watch a special ‘Sing and Scream’ 4D version of ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’. Just as we got there, and despite already asking her, Isabella suddenly decided she was hungry. I popped up to deck 10 to get her a slice of pizza to eat in the Preludes bar area before we headed into the theatre.

Ready for the film

Edited at 02:13 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Just before the end of the film, Jo went back to sort out the washing and get Isabella a t-shirt as she’d gotten cold. On the way back she saw the photographer setting up for some Jack and Sally photos in the bar area.

When the film ended Jack and Sally appeared on the stage, at that point we made dash for the exit to try and get as close to the front of the line to meet them as possible - as it was there were already a few people in the line.

After a short wait, during which the line got really long behind us, we met them, and got some nice photos. It was a really cool interaction.

We all really enjoyed the experience - I like ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ but watching it on the big screen in 3D really brought it to life for me and I enjoyed it much more than I ever have before. The addition of the Jack and Sally meeting afterwards was the icing on the cake!

We headed back to the room afterwards, and decided it was time for a drink - it was about 4:30pm! Jo had a glass of red wine and I had a beer from the Karl Strauss brewery in San Diego - I really miss San Diego, it was such a great place!

Ahh, wine

And beer!

We decided we would spend the rest of the afternoon just chilling out in the room. Isabella had a bath and did some reading, and Jo and I relaxed on the balcony. The ship began to depart the port at about 4:45pm and we stood and watched Mazatlán recede into the distance as the sun also began to set - it was lovely.

Adios, Mazatlán

Now it was time to start getting ready for our Pirate Night dinner; Isabella already had her Pirate Princess outfit on (which still fits her after 4 years - we got it for the 2015 Westbound Transatlantic!), Jo and I put on our Pirate themed Disney t-shirts and we were ready to go!

After a quick trip to some of the remaining state rooms in our Fish Extender group we headed to Tritons for dinner.

Pirate Princess getting some reading in!

Doing our FE gifts

From the ‘Pirates In the Caribbean Dinner’ menu we chose the following:

Me: Sri Sumbhajee’s Vegetable Samosa (with Potato, Peas, Garlic, Cumin and Ginger served with Tamarind Chutney and a plain Yogurt Raita) / King George’s Roasted Privateer Strip Loin
(with Time-Roasted Potatoes, Buttered Savoy Cabbage, Yorkshire Pudding and a Rosemary Wine Sauce) / Bananas in Paradise (Layered Banana Bread with Hazelnut Fudge filling served with a Banana Spice Puree)

Jo: Sri Sumbhajee’s Vegetable Samosa (with Potato, Peas, Garlic, Cumin and Ginger served with Tamarind Chutney and a plain Yogurt Raita) / Tia Dalma’s Jerk Chicken (48 hour Jerk-Marinated Chicken, Grilled and served with Rice and Peas, Fried Plantains and a Pineapple-Chili Salsa) / Bananas in Paradise (Layered Banana Bread with Hazelnut Fudge filling served with a Banana Spice Puree)

Isabella: Chicken Soup / Chicken Skewers with RIce and Green Beans / Mickey Bar Ice Cream

The food was really nice apart from the dessert which was disappointing. During dinner a photographer was doing the rounds and we got some nice photos of us all.

After dinner we headed up on deck, got a couple of coffees and then found a spot to watch the Pirates in the Caribbean deck party.

There were a lot of tall people, with large pirate hats who insisted on being at the front. Isabella managed to get a half decent view, and I must say I wasn’t too fussed as I’m always underwhelmed by the deck parties. The fireworks were fun though, and watching Mickey on a zip line is always worth waiting for!

The deck party finished about 8pm and we stopped back at the room to pick up the last of our Fish Extender gifts to deliver.

After a little tour of the final state rooms in our group, we got a couple of photos in the lobby atrium and then headed back to the room.

While Isabella got ready for bed, Jo did the room service breakfast order for the morning, we set our clocks forward an hour, and put Isabella to bed at about 9:30pm.

I caught up on my notes, showered, and then Jo and I were in bed by about 10:45pm. We were glad that we’d decided to cancel our excursion as we got to spend a fun filled day on board.

Tomorrow is Halloween, and we’re at another port where we will be getting off and spending a fun day in the lovely town of Puerto Vallarta.

TFR

Edited at 01:46 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

a lovely relaxing day
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Sounds like a nice chilled out day.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cutiepie View Post
a lovely relaxing day
Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
Sounds like a nice chilled out day.
These are always some of the best days on the cruise! TFR