Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Aug 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Thing is, the USA is not going to change its culture for us.

People are terrified of losing their jobs because it means losing healthcare and in many cases their home. We know a highly qualified lecturer whose partner struggles to get the insulin he needs, and often they can’t afford to eat. In most cases servers are not stupidly wealthy otherwise everyone would do it. It is shockingly easy to lose your job and catastrophic if you do.

For the sake of a two week holiday, I am not going to try and overturn an entire country’s system, however unjust I think it is.
For me it's not a case that I want to change the tipping culture, it's a case that it just baffles me that it still exists in 2019 when everything is so expensive... especially medical care.

I will always pay a bigger tip for someone who goes that extra mile, but I won't pay a bigger tip than I'm expected to just because that server feels like they're entitled to it.
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
jpy10
Excited about Disney

First time we went to Hard Rock the server didn't clean the tables between courses and we had to stack our plates up at the end of the table, we had to ask 3 different servers to get our drinks re filled,

when he automatically added 20% to the bill I asked him to take it off, next thing we had the manager asking why, when I said look at the end of the table and the main course plates were still there (we had finished pudding) he agreed to take the tip off

I find they are only nice to you because they want a tip,
Old 27 Aug 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by jpy10 View Post
I find they are only nice to you because they want a tip,
They also mistake being nice for actually telling you their life history. We had a server in Millers once who stood chatting for about 20 minutes about herself

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
They also mistake being nice for actually telling you their life history. We had a server in Millers once who stood chatting for about 20 minutes about herself
Mmm. I have a simple way of dealing with them. I turn away and talk to my Wife.

May seem rude but I'm totally disinterested in anybody's life story or tips for being on holiday etc.

My Wife cannot end a conversation with somebody and sometimes I just leave her to it. Then later she will say why didn't you rescue me?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Mmm. I have a simple way of dealing with them. I turn away and talk to my Wife.

May seem rude but I'm totally disinterested in anybody's life story or tips for being on holiday etc.

My Wife cannot end a conversation with somebody and sometimes I just leave her to it. Then later she will say why didn't you rescue me?
Sounds like us, I can't stop, but I want saving from the chat

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
Sounds like us, I can't stop, but I want saving from the chat
And me. Although I am quite nosy so don't mind hearing people's stories really. Well within reason.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I like hearing peoples stories, I always find that americans have very interesting ones too.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by claireyfairy8 View Post
I like hearing peoples stories, I always find that americans have very interesting ones too.
Lol yes very interesting,we had a server 2 years ago who stood talking to us for ages and was telling us what a night she'd had the night before and that her long term partner had got down on one knee and proposed to her at a concert,lovely🤔Almost 3 weeks later back in the same restaurant,she obviously didn't remember us,she came over and told us the same story,only it happened just last night and he proposed when they were bowling! Small talk for a tip? 😲
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Thing is, the USA is not going to change its culture for us.

People are terrified of losing their jobs because it means losing healthcare and in many cases their home. We know a highly qualified lecturer whose partner struggles to get the insulin he needs, and often they can’t afford to eat. In most cases servers are not stupidly wealthy otherwise everyone would do it. It is shockingly easy to lose your job and catastrophic if you do.

For the sake of a two week holiday, I am not going to try and overturn an entire country’s system, however unjust I think it is.
I agree, they wont change their culture for us. So I will tip what I like and disregard their daft culture.
The %age just keeps going yo to stupid levels and they are taking us for mugs.
So their "culture" has lost all credibility with me so I simply ignore it and tip what I see fit.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Maybe it's me but I just cannot do small talk. If I dine with somebody or go for a drink that's different as that's my choice.
But in a restaurant etc I have zero interest in anything a Server may say.

Just bring me my food and then the check. I am always polite and say please and thank you but that's it.

They soon get the message.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List