Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Aug 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Maybe it's me but I just cannot do small talk. If I dine with somebody or go for a drink that's different as that's my choice.
But in a restaurant etc I have zero interest in anything a Server may say.

Just bring me my food and then the check. I am always polite and say please and thank you but that's it.

They soon get the message.
Totally agree. I am not rude and I am happy to chat for a little while but to me good service is if my order is taken, my drinks are refilled and they ask me if my food is good (preferably not when I have a mouth full 😂 ) bring me the check and if it doesn’t have double underlines around the 20% then I’m happy.

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
Totally agree. I am not rude and I am happy to chat for a little while but to me good service is if my order is taken, my drinks are refilled and they ask me if my food is good (preferably not when I have a mouth full 😂 ) bring me the check and if it doesn’t have double underlines around the 20% then I’m happy.
To me this is just the basics of their job.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I agree, they wont change their culture for us. So I will tip what I like and disregard their daft culture.
The %age just keeps going yo to stupid levels and they are taking us for mugs.
So their "culture" has lost all credibility with me so I simply ignore it and tip what I see fit.
All of the above a simple 10% like it or leave it.

i'm older, grumpier and hopefully wiser now. Its a con and nothing more dressing up an obligation as an option.

As Elizabeth Dunn says "I hate tipping because I believe that I would be in a better place – as a diner, and as a human – if pay decisions regarding employees were simply left up to their employers, as is the custom in virtually every other industry, in pretty much every civilised corner of the earth".

I hope to be chased down the street again.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon

Edited at 05:21 PM.
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Out of the tourist spots I do wonder how people from America tip in their own country.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
Out of the tourist spots I do wonder how people from America tip in their own country.
I have a friend in New Mexico and I've had this discussion with her before..she said they tip 15 -20%,if she can't afford the tip, they'd stay home or eat in McDonald's.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

I guess we were very fortunate, we went to WDW a lot when our daughters were younger but haven't been there much over the past 8 years. Given the very poor exchange rate and the costs of eating out including the tip we would have really struggled. We stayed at BLT (renting points) last year for a couple of nights before heading to the Gulf Coast, we didn't visit the parks, it was just me and DH, however I was shocked at the cost of things at WDW, they really do seem to have gone up, even. 1.5 litre bottle of water was $5, I understand that they are more expensive than the supermarkets but there must still be a massive mark up at this price.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by w513mfs View Post
All of the above a simple 10% like it or leave it.

i'm older, grumpier and hopefully wiser now. Its a con and nothing more dressing up an obligation as an option.

As Elizabeth Dunn says "I hate tipping because I believe that I would be in a better place – as a diner, and as a human – if pay decisions regarding employees were simply left up to their employers, as is the custom in virtually every other industry, in pretty much every civilised corner of the earth".

I hope to be chased down the street again.
I can relate to this

Think I might implement the 10% rule - like it or lump it. Though not if the service is poor. I dont get rewarding them for poor service - seems daft.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
show_the_magic
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I'm pleased another poster has put this as I was beginning to imagine it; what happened to taking the tax and doubling it? We did that in 2014 (not disney but idrive and universal), and it was never an issue.
How much is expected at a character buffet?
show_the_magic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma View Post
I have a friend in New Mexico and I've had this discussion with her before..she said they tip 15 -20%,if she can't afford the tip, they'd stay home or eat in McDonald's.
It is an accepted part of dining out for the vast majority of Americans. I have already said my brother was a waiter on Cape Cod decades ago. It is a tourist area but in those days the vast majority of visitors were Americans. He was a good waiter and very rarely received less than 15%.

I don't know why people keep saying it was 10% recently?

I have suggested in the past that if it wasn't standard to tip 15-20% how would restaurants get away with adding an automatic tip of usually 18%? They don't just do that for British tourists! It is done so that large groups splitting the bill won't miscalculate the tip. I have been with numerous different groups of Americans who have no problem with this and don't think they are being charged "extra".
Old 27 Aug 19, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by show_the_magic View Post
I'm pleased another poster has put this as I was beginning to imagine it; what happened to taking the tax and doubling it? We did that in 2014 (not disney but idrive and universal), and it was never an issue.
How much is expected at a character buffet?
Osceola County sales tax is 7.5% so doubling the tax is a perfect way to quickly work out 15%. It is then normal to round it to nearest $ and then decide if they earned a bit more or less.