Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 14 Feb 20, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Pedro
Apprentice Imagineer

Visitor Toll Pass

We will be hiring a car from MCO for 5 days, taking back and then flying to Key West. Will then hire another car at Key West for 12 days and drop back at MCO after driving to various locations.

Does anyone know if the VTP will be valid for the whole 17 days despite using it in two cars and from different pick up locations?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 14 Feb 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Not sure, as we have only used one car, but as the it is scamming the ticket you put in your car, we don't see why not. Maybe ask the guys that man the desk in the car hire hall.

Melvin and Lesley
Old 14 Feb 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Hi
There would be no problem keeping the VTP for the 17 days and according to the FAQ’s you can update the Tag online when you get the next car, doesn’t need to be MCO. My concern would be in your case how do you remove the first car from the account without entering a replacement vehicle tag? I’ve asked a few questions on the VTP site and they’ve always been quick to answer. I’m convinced from my unusual experience, posted on an other thread, that the Pass is only read when leaving/returning to MCO and there after it uses the vehicles tag to register tolls but I’ve still to verify this on my next trip. If this is the case then you would be charged with tolls for the first car until it is removed from the account.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Tiggers Pal
slightly serious Dibber

This is from the FAQs on the VTP website if it helps any

What do I need to do if I change rental vehicles?

If you exchange your original rental vehicle for another car at Orlando International Airport the hang tag needs to be properly installed on the arm of the rearview mirror of the newly acquired vehicle. Your license plate information will then be automatically updated as you leave the parking garage. But if you change vehicles elsewhere, you will need to update your account with the new license plate information online using your unique trip link and install the hang tag on the arm of the rearview mirror of the vehicle you are driving on the toll roads. You can also call customer service +1-407-690-5300 7 days a week 8 AM to 12 AM (Midnight) Eastern Standard Time, if you need assistance.

visitortollpass/Faq
Tiggers Pal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Pedro
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for the info guys. Seems it should be OK but I will speak to them at MCO when I pick up the tag and make sure it's crystal clear.

Alex - I will be wary of the first car still being charged after drop off as you suggest.

Cheers, Peter
Old 16 Feb 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Pedro
Apprentice Imagineer

Just to be sure, I contacted VTP and got the following reply:

Hello,
Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, we would be unable to assist you in the latter part of your trip. For the Visitor Toll Pass to work properly, you must be renting your car from an onsite rental agency at MCO and returning the same vehicle here to MCO. We would be happy to assist you with the first half of your trip, but as the Visitor Toll Pass is only available at MCO, we will be unable to assist you with the portion of your trip from Key West.
Thank you, Visitor Toll Pass

I contacted them to say this was at variance with what it says in the FAQs on their website. They sent the following reply:

Unfortunately, due to latency in the communication between the different toll authorities in the state, that option is not currently available. That information is scheduled to be changed with our next website update.

So it seems you cannot use the VTP other than in and out of MCO and not at dual locations.