Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Feb 20, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I thought you should only have m s all weather tyres on all corner or non. If you are driving in snow ( very unusual in this country now ) it is very dangerous. If 3 wheels have no traction and 1 does it can cause a spin out,
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by colin39 View Post
Sorry? Any RADIAL tyre can be mixed with any RADIAL tyre regardless of directional, asametric or m/s patterns, the only option was the 1992 4x4 cavalier with the nylon based centre diff and a differance of 3mm on the rolling radius, not tread depth.
And as for discs its not good practice to replace them in ones, that dont mean it isnt safe or done, if one is over runout or blued but the other is serviceable its perfectly safe to change the one.

You need to go back and recheck your facts before blerting out rubbish.
Sorry, just my proffesional opinion you understand and not an endorsment of quickfit!
Sort of agree with this, legally you can do this but it isn't best practice. It is unlikely any problems would flag up during an MOT but a road test may give a different result. I have experienced different Brands/patterns fitted to the same axle give steering pull which is IMHO a dangerous situation. If this vehicle has also had one new disc and a set of pads fitted too then the problem would be highlighted. Very rarely does a pad wear evenly, resulting in uneven wear to the disc. It will almost certainly cause uneven braking and the harder you brake the worse it will be. This of course isn't a garage problem, it's a legal problem. Nothing stopping Fred Bloggs fitting his own Brakes aquired from ebay to his own RS turbo nutter and hurtle at break neck speed down the road towards you. All probably the cheapest parts he can find and connected to the road by odd nearly worn out tyres. I have seen some real horrors over my 41 years in this trade so while you are correct, in reality it can be flippin dangerous.

Dave

Edited at 12:08 PM.
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Sorry? Any RADIAL tyre can be mixed with any RADIAL tyre regardless of directional, asametric or m/s patterns, the only option was the 1992 4x4 cavalier with the nylon based centre diff and a differance of 3mm on the rolling radius, not tread depth.
And as for discs its not good practice to replace them in ones, that dont mean it isnt safe or done, if one is over runout or blued but the other is serviceable its perfectly safe to change the one.

You need to go back and recheck your facts before blerting out rubbish.
Sorry, just my proffesional opinion you understand and not an endorsment of quickfit!
Yep - read above.
You CAN mix.
Doesn't mean it is sensible. It isn't.
Just because you can doenst mean you should.
There are many things in life you CAN do that are still utterly stupid.

Basic physics says it is bonkers and dangerous.
I agree - it is done but it isn't safe. I guess it depends on what you mean by safe though. But for me it is not safe at all given the potential consequences. I would go as far as to say it is completely irresponsible.

I explained the reasons it isn't safe. Can you please articulate the physics/engineering behind you saying it is safe? and calling it rubbish? Your response clearly shows you have little or no understanding of how a car actually works on the road.
I have been working on cars for nearly 40 years, have restored classics, built two rally cars and a very fast road / track car. I know how critical tyres and brakes are to basic safety.

Edited at 05:24 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Yep - read above.
You CAN mix.
Doesn't mean it is sensible. It isn't.
Just because you can doenst mean you should.
There are many things in life you CAN do that are still utterly stupid.

Basic physics says it is bonkers and dangerous.
I agree - it is done but it isn't safe. I guess it depends on what you mean by safe though. But for me it is not safe at all given the potential consequences. I would go as far as to say it is completely irresponsible.

I explained the reasons it isn't safe. Can you please articulate the physics/engineering behind you saying it is safe? and calling it rubbish? Your response clearly shows you have little or no understanding of how a car actually works on the road.
I have been working on cars for nearly 40 years, have restored classics, built two rally cars and a very fast road / track car. I know how critical tyres and brakes are to basic safety.
Yep me too, 35 years spinning spanners and a quallified engineer.
Its safe, not good practice.
Please stop blowing ya chest out. The op asked about brakes thats what we are discussing. You dont know me, my back ground nothing and tbh i dont know you, however i will stand by all my statements. As for i know little or no understanding i run a fleet of nearly 100 vehicles and have the privalage of saying nobody has died or been injured on my watch.
Op if you wish to send me the brakes i will give an honest apprasil of rhe discs, feom runout to thickness and overall condition.
I obviously no nothing so just post them to my dvsa council workshop, pm me for the address.

Regards

Colin
Old 20 Feb 20, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

The only real difference between two different thickness of brake disks if the pads have been replaced is their ability to absorb and dissipate heat. Unless you have been ragging it and reach saturation point of the thinnest disk the driver is not going to notice any braking imbalance at all, as there will not be any. Its only if you reach saturation point will a difference appear.

Isn't advisable as you are then going to be in a scenario where you need to change them at different times in the future. But is is not unsafe and is legal, but again not advisable.

As for tyres, there are millions of cars on the road with mismatched tyres both in brands and wear levels on the road today. They are not throwing themselves off the road on a daily basis. Most people do not understand what makes for a good tyre characteristic which when it comes to safety includes how it behaves when it reaches its limit of grip. A good tyre does this gracefully, a bad tyre quickly. They could have great grip level, but if they behave badly on the limit you are more likely to have an accident if you hit that limit.

Give me two mismatched good performing tyres on the same axle over two matched ones which have poor characteristics any day of the week.

However I would always ensure I have two good behaving tyres that match. But that's personal choice not a legal requirement.

I don't see anyone here saying they don't understand best practice vs what you can do legally and safely (maybe not optimally safely, but still safely).

Edited at 06:25 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Yep me too, 35 years spinning spanners and a quallified engineer.
Its safe, not good practice.
Please stop blowing ya chest out. The op asked about brakes thats what we are discussing. You dont know me, my back ground nothing and tbh i dont know you, however i will stand by all my statements. As for i know little or no understanding i run a fleet of nearly 100 vehicles and have the privalage of saying nobody has died or been injured on my watch.
Op if you wish to send me the brakes i will give an honest apprasil of rhe discs, feom runout to thickness and overall condition.
I obviously no nothing so just post them to my dvsa council workshop, pm me for the address.

Regards

Colin
Dont think I or anyone is blowing out anything.
you haven't presented anything technically against what I said after saying it was rubbish?
Hurl all the insults you want.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
mouse
Very Serious Dibber

mouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thank you for all the helpful comments. Got them measured and lots of wear left, when garage listened to call they agreed the metal to metal, not driveable was untrue so have agreed to refund cost of parts. No ideal as still out of pocket but better than nothing.
mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mouse View Post
No ideal as still out of pocket but better than nothing.
Go back to Furrows to complain.
I think they should refund you in full for the brake service labour, in addition to parts.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List