Notices

View Poll Results: would you pay for seat selection
Yes because I have young children 124 17.01%
Yes we are adults and we like to sit together 370 50.75%
No we are adults and don't mind sitting apart if that happens 160 21.95%
No we have young children but laws mean that they will be sat nearby anyway 75 10.29%
Voters: 729. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Oct 18, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by ashc13 View Post
Only with Ryanair!
Don’t usually pay to book seats and have always been lucky. Booked seats with Ryanair this last holiday for princely sum of £3 each though !
I don’t object to paying to reserve a seat as such but I think the prices the airlines charge is just over the top. I think Virgin have the right idea with the Classic fares where the charge is hidden. I have noticed though on some Virgin flights I have priced up the classic has been cheaper than the light fare.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
In fairness no ones polls will ever be up to my standard, but that said this is a good poll.

I voted as adults (that might be disputed by some when referring to me), and we don't mind being seated apart.

We always used to pay for seats, but it's up to a £100 a seat in club each person each way, so with this year's and next year's flights booked that would cost us as much as £800 (just me and Mrs MH).

I would rather be seated together, and hopefully we will be but it isn't the end of the world if we are seperated (I think secretly Mrs MH is hoping that's the case to get some peace),
I've heard she's requested you are separated 😂
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

A flight of four hours or less I probably wouldn't bother pre booking seats but when I go long haul I want to sit with my mate. So would ( and always do) pay to book seats.

Also, unless it was an extreme case , I would not move if asked. Yes, it's wrong that airlines charge to book them but they do and you either book or take your chance.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

I look at the airlines policy and then decide.

BA states every child under 12 will be sat NEXT to an adult. I am happy with that. If we are split 2 and 2 that is fine.

Yes i would kick off if i was not next to my child on a BA flight - but because the policy states i will be next to them. I dont have to pay to guarantee that, they do in their policy. But i doubt BA would separate us because it is in their policy so not really an issue.

Norweigan policy does not guarantee it so i would have to pay as i cant have my 4 yr old at the other end of the plane. But i factor it in to the flight cost for comparison.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post

BA states every child under 12 will be sat NEXT to an adult. I am happy with that. If we are split 2 and 2 that is fine.

Yes i would kick off if i was not next to my child on a BA flight - but because the policy states i will be next to them. I dont have to pay to guarantee that, they do in their policy. But i doubt BA would separate us because it is in their policy so not really an issue.

Norweigan policy does not guarantee it so i would have to pay as i cant have my 4 yr old at the other end of the plane. But i factor it in to the flight cost for comparison.
I thought it was law lol maybe just law if an airline promises it
I agree I would pay if they didn't have a rule and I would also kick off if I wasn't sat with my child...but not if we couldn't all sit together as that is technically my own fault. Think this is why they keep rows unbooked for families
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

We are currently at 60% who pay vs 40% who don't
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post

My understanding is 'next to' can be across the aisle or the seat in front/behind
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
I thought it was law lol maybe just law if an airline promises it
I agree I would pay if they didn't have a rule and I would also kick off if I wasn't sat with my child...but not if we couldn't all sit together as that is technically my own fault. Think this is why they keep rows unbooked for families
I think it is just a guideline, not a requirement, so it is up to airline policy. Some airlines policy such as BA state you will be next to your kid. Some that you will be near, row in front, behind, across the aisle etc. And others that it is not guaranteed such as norweigan.

So i would make a choice based on their policy. Like anything i buy i expect them to honour what is agreed - their policy.
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker89
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

We paid in the way out and took our chances on the way home. We figured that as it is a night flight you won't be talking and so it doesn't matter too much who you're next to.
Beaker89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 18, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
My understanding is 'next to' can be across the aisle or the seat in front/behind
Yes on some airlines, but copy and pasted is BA policy below. Yes over 12 that is true. But they specifically state an under 12 will be next to.

"If you don’t reserve your seats in advance, we’ll do our best to seat your family together a few days before your flight departs. However, the seat selection may be limited at that time and your seats may be split across different rows or the aisle. We will make sure each child under 12 years sits next to an adult from your booking but children over 12 years are booked as an adult in our system and may sit separately."