Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Nov 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Kate, don’t get advice from someone on here. Go to your doctor or a qualified medical advisor. Do you have a walk-in centre on the IOM?
Hope you feel better soon x
I've said this several times but nobody listens. I think asking for medical advice on here is dangerous. It's like when people ask for legal advice on here and people who aren't solicitors give it. Totally crazy.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I've said this several times but nobody listens. I think asking for medical advice on here is dangerous. It's like when people ask for legal advice on here and people who aren't solicitors give it. Totally crazy.
Nearly every response has advised the OP to go see a professional. People are obviously not all experts. However, that does not mean that they cannot give advice and more importantly experience. Sometimes, people just need reassurance. Every post I read of yours is negative.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
The op has said she is going to get medical advice as soon as possible. Most posters here have advised her to visit her gp or even head to a hospital emergency department, especially if it gets any worse.

However, the op is probably worrying and seeking reassurance that it could be something simple, which it very easily could be. I don’t think she will actually be taking any diagnosis or treatment from the posts, just reassurance
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post

I was speaking to someone this week who had those exact same symptoms and thought she was having a heart attack, it was pleurisy, antibiotic prescribed.

My initial thought was asthma, it can come any time during your life.

Ultimately though those symptoms could be any number of things. If you find you're struggling at all over the weekend go and see an emergency Doctor.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 19, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

Im in the "you definitely need to use an emergency appt on Monday" camp. And call 111 if it gets worse over the weekend...
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 04:43 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

If this were me, I’d want an urgent GP appointment - don’t mess about with chest pains. I know you’ve been checked out for particular issues but what about the things they didn’t check ?
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
As others have said, I would push for an appointment with the doctor as soon as you can.

However, my daughter had similar symptoms when she was diagnosed with costochondritis. She was also told that as she had this once, it was more likely to reoccur. So you could be getting reoccurrences of this, my DD has had small flare ups since. We were really worried and had an emergency appointment as she had chest pains and shortage of breath and she did have an ecg to check there was no major issues, but it was very painful and worrying
I am wondering if this is maybe what my son has - is there a test for it ? Way back in June during exam times , he couldn’t breathe and was in so much pain and they said it was pleurisy. It cleared up but he’s been having similar issues ever since but not all the time . He used to be fairly fit but now he can’t complete a football match without pain .Took him to doctors ( 2 week wait despite saying it’s chest pain ) and doctor thought he heard a heart murmur so sent for X-ray and blood tests . I would have thought ecg would be better. Just waiting for results now .
To the op I would go back as soon as possible. Good luck .
Old 9 Nov 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
I am wondering if this is maybe what my son has - is there a test for it ? Way back in June during exam times , he couldn’t breathe and was in so much pain and they said it was pleurisy. It cleared up but he’s been having similar issues ever since but not all the time . He used to be fairly fit but now he can’t complete a football match without pain .Took him to doctors ( 2 week wait despite saying it’s chest pain ) and doctor thought he heard a heart murmur so sent for X-ray and blood tests . I would have thought ecg would be better. Just waiting for results now .
I was diagnosed with costchondritis and Tietze’s syndrome at 19 after years of flare ups - I was sent to A&E by the walk in as she suspected a lung clot so had a whole heap of tests, which were all normal. Referred back to GP who diagnosed it immediately after suffering himself for 50 years.

There’s no test and no cure (aside from steroid injections into the area), I find I need max dose of paracetamol and super strength ibuprofen every 4 hours to manage it. I try not to take either unless I’m having a flare up though. Lying flat out on floor with a hot water bottle also helps!

OP, my symptoms were very similar to yours but definitely get checked out for peace of mind...pleurisy sounds horrific!
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
It certainly sounds similar. I don’t think there’s a specific test, but our gp seemed quite sure it was this on examining DD (and I find it rare for a gp to actually give a diagnosis in our area, they tend to be vague 🙄 ). DD had an ecg, x-Ray and a blood test taken though, but I think those were to rule out other problems more than confirm the diagnosis

Apparently it’s common in teenagers, my DD must have been around 17 when she got it. It can often start after a cough or chest infection as that strains the muscle which causes Costochondritis

nhs.uk/conditions/costochondritis/
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for the replies! I honesty feel okay apart from the shortness of breath with some activities and the discomfort in the chest. It’s not pain, I don’t need pain relief or the like. The niggle also stopped for 2 weeks but the shortness of breath persisted? So not sure it’s a strain?

I see some people have suggested pleurisy. I don’t know anything about it, but wouldn’t it have shown in my white cell count when the hospital did the blood test? They told me white cells were normal.

I am gonna phone on Monday and see if they can see me. Our local hospital isn’t great and I was less than impressed with the doctor I saw, who didn’t bother to find anything out about me and just made assumptions. So I’d like to be reassured they haven’t missed something bad.