Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 3 Jan 20, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile 199 Health(ier) eating post.

Good Morning Dibbers!

So there are 199 days left until we go on our next dream Florida holiday and I’m going to try and eat a little more healthier before that time. Obviously, I’d like to maybe lose a couple of lbs but my main reason for doing it is I really do need to eat more healthy. When I’m working, all bets are off as to what will actually make it in to my mouth on an evening as I’m so tired that I can’t be bothered.
So my aim is to: Eat more fruit and veg, eat more protein rich foods and eat less white bread/potatoes/white pasta etc.
I thought by documenting it on here I might be more inclined to stick to it. Not sure if it’s in the right forum though so apologies if I’ve posted in the wrong place.
Also, I’m veggie so the meals will be mainly vegetarian but DH is not so I will try post any healthier options I make for him too. If anyone would like to join in, feel free to post your pics!

So here goes
Day 1/199.
Brunch (Very lazy start to the day as we are still on holiday until Monday)

Two egg omelette with spinach and feta and blueberry, strawberry, red grape and melon fruit salad. Washed down with a nice cup of Yorkshire tea in my favourite Moomin cup.

Feel like I’ve made a good start as I resisted the white bread toast! ☺️

And for anyone not eating healthy, here is DH’s not so healthy brunch.

Bacon, egg, tomato and mushroom sandwich.

I’ll post tea photos later. (I’m from Yorkshire. I’ll be referring to dinner as tea. 😂 )

Thanks for reading. Any supportive words of encouragement would be much appreciated.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 20, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Diz
Apprentice Imagineer

Great idea I will be following and encouraging. I am also veggie and DH is not. Also like you we don’t need to lose weight but we could eat more fruit less white bread etc. good luck
Diz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 20, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Diz View Post
Great idea I will be following and encouraging. I am also veggie and DH is not. Also like you we don’t need to lose weight but we could eat more fruit less white bread etc. good luck
Thank you for taking the time to reply. 🤗
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Day 1/199
Teatime!
So DH and I went for a walk today and I spotted these lovely creatures!

Don’t worry.. we didn’t eat them. 😉

Anyway, the walk did allow me to build up my appetite for tea.
DH and I had been wanting a curry for ages now so as today is our last Friday before the holiday we decided to go with that for tea. Rather than eating from a take away I was very good and bought this:

Which ticks the box when it comes to increasing more vegetables.
I only had half of it as I couldn’t eat a full one.
I paired it with 5 grains rice rather than white rice or pilau so am pleased about that.
I had one onion bhaji and one peshwari naan which is obviously not too healthy but I could have had two. So healthier than I would normally eat which is the whole point of my 199 day post! 😬 DH had the extra bhaji... his waist line probably won’t thank me.

And I healthied up my drink of choice by adding a lime... I’m sure that must count as extra fruit! 😂

So all in all a pretty good start I think. No chocolate or biscuits which is very good for me plus I’ve walked over 10,000 steps today.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Let’s see what tomorrow brings. 💪🏻
Old 4 Jan 20, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Day 2/199
Today, still in holiday mode, I woke up late and headed straight to the gym so I had brunch when I got in though it was more like lunch time.
I made protein pancakes which are really simple to make.
1 egg
1 banana
1 cup of porridge oats
Cinnamon.
Blueberries.

They are really quite delicious. I was very good and didn’t have any maple syrup. Just a tiny bit of low-fat spread.

You can’t really see the blueberries but they’re in there.
Washed down with my favourite cup of tea. Which I do know is not great to do as tea makes it harder for the body to absorb any iron content that is in the food.

For tea, I made a Slimming World vegan cottage pie. I adapted the recipe slightly by using less white potato and using sweet potato instead. I also added a smidging of low fat spread to the mash and sprinkled some feta on top so no longer vegan. 😬
Here’s the original recipe if anyone is interested.

And this is what it looked like.

And DH husband had a chicken burger with homemade wedges and salad. He added a tomato and advocado topping to his chicken with cheese.

Normally, I would have made a similar veggie meal for me but as I’m trying to cut down on white potatoes and bread, I opted for my cottage pie instead.

I’ve done quite a lot of exercise today as went for a walk with DH late afternoon so treated myself to a glass of red with tea. As an aside, I only usually drink alcohol at the weekend (drink with tea) and not every day so next week, my alcohol intake will reduce.

I also got weighed at the gym. 🙈 I need to lose a few more lbs than I thought. Current weight 66.5kg. Which is 10 stone and 4lb/6lb? The gym guy said 6lb. The internet says 4. My BMI is heading towards 24 which is still in the normal range but towards the top end. So I guess I’m heavier than I thought so good job I’ve made an effort I guess.
Snacks today are an apple and a pack of lentil curls.
Tomorrow is the last day of the hols and it’s Sunday so roast day. Probably will not be as healthy as today! 😂
Old 5 Jan 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Day 3/199...
Wow! Today seems like this was not a great idea. Maybe I should have started it at 30 days to go.
197 days is such a long way away!
For breakfast I had the omelette again and for lunch some wheat crackers with hallumi.
Sunday lunch today so I healthier up by making sure I had a meat alternative. (Sometimes I don’t bother and just have the veg.)
So I had nut cutlets, roast potatoes (skin on for extra fibre), boiled carrots and broccoli, cauliflower and leek bake with two homemade Yorkshire puddings. I could have made it healthier by just having the cauliflower/leek/broccoli steamed etc. but where’s the fun in that?😬
Tomorrow, it’s back to work.🙈
Old 5 Jan 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Old 6 Jan 20, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Day 4/199
Breakfast - Muesli (probably the same most days now I’m back at work.)
Lunch- salad with probiotic yoghurt for dessert.
Dinner- vegetable stir fry with noodles and I added egg for the meat substitute. DH is having the same but with chicken. He won’t be happy as he hates stir fry.😬

Old 10 Jan 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Day 7/199?
I’ve lost count of the days!

I’ve not posted this week as I’ve basically just been having cereal, salad and then pretty much what I ate last week other than a really nice quorn chilli that DH made one evening.
I’m pleased I’ve managed to eat proper meals in an evening even though there are times I haven’t felt like making anything. I really could do with batch cooking some healthy stews or something. Anyway, I’ve continued to eat healthily, laid off the bread and the alcohol until tonight. 😬 And I’ve lost 2lbs. 💪🏻

Tonight, I’ve made a nice fresh salad with a homemade garlic, basil and olive oil dressing, roasted sweet potato cubes with rosemary and then I griddled some halloumi as I didn’t have any meat substitute products in. As it’s Friday, I’ve treated myself to a drink but went for the healthier choice of a g&t with slimline tonic. 85p from Lidl.

The halloumi was sliced quite thin and there wasn’t two full slices so hopefully not too fattening.

I do need some new lunch ideas as I don’t think I can eat salad for lunch every day for 192 days. 😂

Tomorrow, DH and I are going to Prezzo as it’s 25 years since we got together and we were gifted a 3 course meal there for a Christmas present so decided we’d go there. I don’t want to ruin my diet but I really want to choose the nicest (and most probably unhealthiest) things on the menu.🙈🙈
If anyone has any healthy lunch ideas, it would be great to hear them.🤗
Old 15 Jan 20, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
llamala
Imagineer

If you have access to a microwave, what about a jacket potato (pre cooked or a frozen oneJ with beans, cottage cheese etc, or some veg soup, in a food flask.
llamala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List