Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Feb 20, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Yes they can if the passenger doesn’t check in .
Surely the passenger would check-in, online, 24 hours or so before the flight and just no-show at the airport.

I don't know if airlines have a feed of data from boarding passes scanned at security but, if they don't, then they would have no surety that the passenger was not going to turn up until the flight was about to depart.

So, the seat could still be filled by a standby passenger, but it leave very limited time for the airline to do this.

Issues would be...

1) Doesn't feel very fair to knowingly check-in and not turn up for a flight. It could cause a delay.

2) The return ticket would be cancelled by the outgoing no-show meaning you would likely be sitting next to someone on the way home.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

You can still book a spare seat next to you on a number of airlines, including British Airways.

You have to call to do it, this can't be done online and booking a seat for a non-existent passenger is not the way to do it, they will be offloaded as mentioned above, and the seat goes back in the pool.

The advantage of booking what is known as a "comfort seat" is that you don't have to pay all the taxes on it, eg APD would not apply. It may or may not work out cheaper than buying 2 PE seats.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 20, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyFromage
Very Serious Dibber

Have you thought about Business Class?

If not having someone sat next to you is important enough that you would consider booking a third seat anyway...
LadyFromage is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
cherub85
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We had three flights booked to Spain with easyJet. Daughter ended up not coming...seat was left empty but think we were just lucky!
cherub85 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Parkie
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by cherub85 View Post
We had three flights booked to Spain with easyJet. Daughter ended up not coming...seat was left empty but think we were just lucky!
They probably have 5 flights a day going to Spain
Parkie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Surely the passenger would check-in, online, 24 hours or so before the flight and just no-show at the airport.

I don't know if airlines have a feed of data from boarding passes scanned at security but, if they don't, then they would have no surety that the passenger was not going to turn up until the flight was about to depart.

So, the seat could still be filled by a standby passenger, but it leave very limited time for the airline to do this.

Issues would be...

1) Doesn't feel very fair to knowingly check-in and not turn up for a flight. It could cause a delay.

2) The return ticket would be cancelled by the outgoing no-show meaning you would likely be sitting next to someone on the way home.
We booked to go Florida , my son got a new job and was refused time off so couldn’t come . I didn’t let the airline know until we got there on the day and his seat was swiftly filled . I guess I was hoping it would be left but it wasn’t .
Old 8 Feb 20, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
We booked to go Florida , my son got a new job and was refused time off so couldn’t come . I didn’t let the airline know until we got there on the day and his seat was swiftly filled . I guess I was hoping it would be left but it wasn’t .

This was the same for us. The seat was filled straight away.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
NurseHelen
VIP Dibber

Hope this helps...might work for adults too... give the airline a ring

Next time you book a flight ticket, add the code “DPNA” in the free-text box that appears on the booking page, in case your child needs any additional support from the airline. “DPNA (disabled passenger with intellectual or developmental disability needing assistance) is a Special Service Request (SSR) code.20 Apr 2019
Old 17 Feb 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hi all just A quick update I checked with BA and they said you can just book A seat next to you for more room. I checked on the web site and this is what it said

Booking an extra seat for additional personal space
You can buy an extra ticket to keep the seat next to you free, e.g. for additional personal space or to secure a fragile or precious item, such as a musical instrument or painting.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
braby
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post

Issues would be...

At LHR they can access who has or has not cleared security, don't know about other airports though. On routes to florida it's quite likely staff standby's will be waiting for seats so there is a good chance if your travelling in the high season that these seats will be filled.
For the airlines I work with we clear Standby passengers 10 minutes from departure.
braby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List