Yes they should 128 35.85%
No they shouldn’t 229 64.15%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Feb 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
It is out dated - in the same way as good manners, basic respect, obedience to parents/teachers, discipline, being able to communicate with a people rather than devices etc., etc.
Isnt that an oxymoron?
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I have never heard this one before. I started school in 1974 and standing when teacher enters a room was never a thing.
Snap; my schooldays were between 1972-1985 and I'd never heard of this until this morning's debates on TV.
It certainly never happened in my schools.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
i think it should be done in school, my daughters school has a new head one rule is the kids all line up outside the classroom & file in once the teacher arrives/opens the door rather than arrive in dribs & drabs or be in there milling about, Y10 BTW

as for in the workplace wouldnt want to work somewhere the requirement is to stand up if someone further up the food chain walks in... whats that all about ?
Surely if you believe that as children we should stand to show respect for those in authority why the change in attitude as an adult.

I think the lining up outside the class is more about timekeeping discipline and stopping disruptions once the lesson has started. If someone is late are they allowed in?
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I remember leaving at the end of my 5th form at boarding school, where standing when a teacher entered the classroom was obligatory and in fact if any adult entered the room whatever there position.

I then started sixth form at school in London, in my first lesson, when the English teacher walked in I was the only one of thirty odd kids who stood
I’m not sure who was more shocked, myself the pupils or the teacher who clearly had never seen anything like it.

It does, now look a very old fashioned way of doing things, but then again I see no harm in it. Personally speaking I wouldn’t want to see my students stand for me what I would rather see is a general respect for everyone.. that seems to be lacking or was lacking last time I lived in the U.K. and that respect works two ways adults respecting children and vice versa

Edited
My students all line up outside the classroom before entering quietly and settling into their seats.

Edited at 09:40 AM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Isnt that an oxymoron?
I don't think so. How would it be? (not that it really matters, but you did ask )
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Isnt that an oxymoron?
Not sure I understand?
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Making children stand up when someone enters the room does not mean they have any respect for that person what it means is that they are disciplined to do it. Children respect teachers for what they are and do for for them and not because they are told to behave in a certain way.

It seems to me that this Head Teacher has brought in a number of measures to improve the school overall, many of which the mother agrees with and I think in this instance she should look at the overall objective of them rather than picking on the one or two she doesn't like.

Edited at 10:03 AM.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Sounds like you have condemned every teacher based on one individuals behaviour. Very noble.

Your last comment possibly could be corrected by good manners and respect perhaps?
it was an example - a recent one - to make the point that teachers used to command respect - even outside school. That blanket respect for the person holding the office exists no longer.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
It is out dated - in the same way as good manners, basic respect, obedience to parents/teachers, discipline, being able to communicate with a people rather than devices etc., etc.

Oxymoron
'a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear'
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Making children stand up when someone enters the room does not mean they have any respect for that person what it means is that they are disciplined to do it. Children respect teachers for what they are and do and not because they are told to behave in a certain way.

It seems to me that this Head Teacher has brought in a number of measures to improve the school overall, many of which the mother agrees with and I think in this instance she should look at the overall objective of them rather than picking on the one or two she doesn't like.
I completely agree that standing up for teachers wouldn’t instill respect. All of my children were classed as respectful to teachers (not my opinion, the school praised them) throughout their school lives.

However, I know that my children actually respected the teachers who respected them far more than some other teachers. They knew that many teachers were interested and invested in teaching and took a great interest in their pupils and cared for them.

However, there were teachers who did not show an interest, appear to care or even set a good standard of teaching (I.e pupils left to copy out of a book constantly, homework never marked, teachers not turning up for lessons) and these teachers did not gain my children’s respect. My children behaved well for them and were polite, but did not respect them. Respect has to work both ways, although I stress that many teachers were good (even in a very poorly rated school).

Edited at 09:56 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List