Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Feb 20, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Insurances for windscreen, tyres, underside etc

Looking for thoughts on what everyone does on this. I get most rentals do not come with this insurance.

Does anyone take the extra cover? Is it much extra? And worst case what sort of cost would you face without it in the event of an incident.

I've never taken it in the past...always assumed it was covered on the zero excess but clearly it's not going by other posts here.

Edited at 09:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Wolf1984 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

I look back at the number of smashed windscreens and flat tyres that I have had over the last 50 years and I don't bother. However, there are a number of uk companies who will cover you for less than the rental company but it is a while since I looked at anything like this,
Old 17 Feb 20, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I have never bothered. Think many in US would change the tyre anyway?
Old 18 Feb 20, 01:54 AM  
Link to this Post
John
Imagineer

John's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I use questor-insurance I hire a lot of cars in the UK and take this insurance out to remove any excess. In UK, hire companies charge about £13 a day to remove all excess charges. I take an annual questor (I think it is £52 this year). If I was just doing an annual hire in usa to cover glass/tyres, I probably wouldn't bother.
John is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I have been hiring in the States since 1976 and have never taken it. I have been towed in after a total electrical failure, had numerous flats and have had a door caved in whilst parked unattended.
Never charged a cent.

To me it's a gamble. Some you win some you lose.

The big plus with these policies is the lost key coverage as that is an expensive bit of kit to lose. Secondly for those who physically cannot change a wheel it's again a real essential.

Money Maxim is a good starter for ten and some use this US Company.

enhancedroadsideassistance/faq.aspx

The big plus for me is Auto Europe who for a lot of their rentals cover this as standard which others in the main don't. Plus it's free!

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) including damage to wheels, glass, underside and roof of vehicle with zero excess.

That is why my 3 rentals this year are with them - plus they are the cheapest out there.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 08:41 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Wolf1984 View Post
Looking for thoughts on what everyone does on this. I get most rentals do not come with this insurance.

Does anyone take the extra cover? Is it much extra? And worst case what sort of cost would you face without it in the event of an incident.

I've never taken it in the past...always assumed it was covered on the zero excess but clearly it's not going by other posts here.
Hi
Think confusion often arises over the difference between, cover for tyres, windscreen, roof, underside and roadside assistance. In the first case if your booking does not cover tyres, windscreen etc then you would probably be liable for the cost of replacing a windscreen etc if it gets damage. A few years ago on this topic Mr T costed a windscreen for a Cadillac and if memory serves me right it was over $2000. The second insurance is if you want someone to come and replace a wheel if it’s punctured, you miss- fuel or lose the keys. Some brokers include cover for the first case this in the pricing, or at least highlight it if it is not covered, others hide the lack of cover in the T&C’s and charge more to insure. Something to take into consideration when comparing prices.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Mobile

What I'm worried about is the cost of replacing a windscreen on a full size SUV!

If I understand the booking with DFCH does not cover such incidents but as Mr TM points out Auto Europe do offer this cover with the Alamo Max for little more than 40 quid extra.

I will check with DFCH direct though before making any decision.

I have had a chipped windscreen on a rental in Orlando a few years back. Think it was a stone or something. No issue back then but really don't fancy being stung for something like this. I guess it's a personal decision. Thanks to all for your thoughts.
Wolf1984 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Money Maxim is a good starter for ten and some use this US Company.

enhancedroadsideassistance/faq.aspx
Beware of this company (the one linked)! My in-laws used that company in 2018, it was the 4th time they bought the policy. They tried to use it for the first time but couldn't reach anyone by phone or email... and they tried several times plus a few when they got back to the UK. Ended up having to recharge the cost of the service via credit card company.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Wolf1984 View Post
What I'm worried about is the cost of replacing a windscreen on a full size SUV!

If I understand the booking with DFCH does not cover such incidents but as Mr TM points out Auto Europe do offer this cover with the Alamo Max for little more than 40 quid extra.

I will check with DFCH direct though before making any decision.

I have had a chipped windscreen on a rental in Orlando a few years back. Think it was a stone or something. No issue back then but really don't fancy being stung for something like this. I guess it's a personal decision. Thanks to all for your thoughts.
Hi
Yes it all comes down to how risk averse you are, I would rather be covered and when it’s also cheaper to rent with it included it’s a no brainier.
I’m surprised that AutoEurope are dearer but it would be interesting to see the response you get from DFCH.
Alex

Edited at 02:54 PM. Reason: Info
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

If you get a chip in the windscreen just drive it into a tree and then there'll be no charge.