Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 18 Feb 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Ticking the Boxes Aug 19 Day 5

Not as many photos today … I’m sure you’ll be relieved to know that! It was another tick day (we did really well on the tick list!)
Today was BB’s birthday! So in some ways it was a little weird that he had only a card a small present to open from me, the kids did their thing when we got home. Duly wearing his present,

which seemed apt for today, we set off just after 8.

BB knew what his present was, so no complaints at being ready to be on the road. We got to MK before opening, but were allowed in to be ready for our tour. We were doing the Keys to the Kingdom tour. We got ourselves checked in, given some water, and a badge and chose our lunch.

Then we were free to wander for a few minutes before tour starting. So we found the Walt bench and took photos,

had a few PP pics taken

and then waited in the cool. Registration was in the front part of the theatre. We did browse the merch, we wondered about phone cases, but both being android we decided not.
We were greeted by Kercha, our guide, who is just in love with all things Disney. She came over as enthusiastic at the end as she did at the beginning. We did see other people who were being guides, and ours was definitely the most engaged. She started on information download as soon as we had our earpieces in. She was very good at giving us sit down and shaded places when she could, which was good guest care.

She quickly explained what the keys to the kingdom are, and then tested us at regular intervals thereafter. We could ask questions, but of the 12 of us, very few did. She took us up main street,

spotting things as we went,

talking into our ears all the time. There was very little opportunity to just ‘chat’ which is fine, but be aware of that. I couldn’t and wouldn’t recall it all, you need to do the tour, but I will say, the jungle cruise was fun, albeit with a Kercha twist!

At lunch in a cordoned off area of Peco Bills, we were glad for a sit down, but was a good lunch. We also got our KTTW pin at lunch.

We went backstage, which was interesting, esp. as we saw the end of a parade rehearsal, which included some big characters being taken off their ‘humans’. I enjoyed seeing the parade vehicles too.
We also went on haunted mansion. I was not sure about doing this … I really, really, don’t like this ride. I cannot tell you why, it’s just one that makes me feel awful. I got swept along with the tour and was on in no time, so shut my eyes and hoped for the best.

BB said he enjoyed it! It was over pretty quickly and my ‘never again’ is definitely written as a red line! After that ordeal, we went down into the utildors. There were some in our group who were really interested, but by this time I think we were flagging. It was interesting in parts, but for us, was a little too long. Kercha was loving it still,

and at the end of the 5 hours was still happy to pose for photos and chat!
There was only one thing on our minds as we finished, to abandon Dumbo FP (booked just in case, waste of time!) was a Mickey premium bar ice cream.

They are just better than any other ice creams IMO! Time check, 2.45!
Next on the priority list was a rest! I doubt I even took my shoes off when we arrived back at our room! We were both really tired and we knew that we didn’t have as long as we would need. But booking for Cali Grill was hard to come by and so we had to take what we could get! We were somewhat refreshed, scrubbed and partially ready for food, as we headed out. We, wore the wedding ears, which was fun and attracted some compliments. BB had his birthday badge on, and both had the celebrating badges too. We arrived at just on 6, full of all the dibb reviews, planning to spend a relaxed evening with good food, wine and a fantastic view. Finishing with Happily ever after from the balcony.
Hmmmm … we were impressed to start with, it’s certainly a tick place to go. The views over MK were stunning. We were seated quite near the entrance, which meant people came past us regularly.

Our server was round very quickly with menus, one for food and the other for wines. We both gulped at the prices of the wine, and I double gulped when BB ordered a white and pink version! We both chose our food, and we settled ourselves in our space as we anticipated its arrival. We enjoyed watching the sun set, and the other diners that were there. Our server was fine, but he was pushing speed from us! He did take a couple of photos,

but that seemed to be quite an effort! I honestly cannot remember what we ate, and we didn’t take any photos. I know I had the mushroom ravioli, which was really, really good. I have a feeling BB started with flatbread and then went for a steak. We had our server come passed a few times, which added to our feeling of being rushed. We were being kept an eye on and it didn’t feel discreet.

I think I had a coffee for desert, the wine was catching up with me and I was feeling just too full. It was clear that we would not be able to linger so we paid up, took the rest of both our wine bottles with us and made our way out. All in all, it was pricey and not that good. Ooh, we had champagne brought to us at some point too! I can’t place when as the time stamp is wrong!

We did get to see a little of the Electrical light parade on seven seas lagoon as we crossed

and then HEA from the TTC.

We went to Epcot and then onto a bus to CSR. I might have been influenced by the fact that my shoes were ripping my heels, and that I was filled with alcohol and that we were still dehydrated from the KTTK tour in the morning. It was definitely a wish list tick, but would (sorry Cali grill lovers) not hurry back.

Edited at 11:42 AM.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Caj, I think I'll avoid Cali Grill but would you recommend KTTK tour?
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Yes I would. Very interesting indeed. We were kind of bombarded with so much fascinating history, that I'd be hard pushed to tell you all the facts now, but it was just so interesting.

It was long ... so if you're booking, go for an early slot. Sit down at every opportunity. And dont plan much for after!

Are you planning a trip, SF?
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by caj View Post
Yes I would. Very interesting indeed. We were kind of bombarded with so much fascinating history, that I'd be hard pushed to tell you all the facts now, but it was just so interesting.

It was long ... so if you're booking, go for an early slot. Sit down at every opportunity. And dont plan much for after!

TY for that info.
Yes - 2021.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Glad you enjoyed the tour but as you say seems a bit long!
We have never been to Call Grill but from reading trippies seems it is a bit like marmite love or not
But a good birthday for BB

Joan
Old 18 Feb 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

What a shame you weren’t keen on California Grill, we have eaten there at least a dozen times and not once had a bad meal.
Old 18 Feb 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by caj View Post

We may see you there )

TY for that info.
Yes - 2021.
Old 18 Feb 20, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
What a shame you weren’t keen on California Grill, we have eaten there at least a dozen times and not once had a bad meal.
I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with the food but I think the whole experience was (IMHO) over priced and not extra special. As a guide the meal cost nearly $300 for the two of us.

The following night we ate at the "three bridges restrurant" which was a third of the price and we probably enjoyed 3 times as much.

Were we to go back I may be tempted by brunch at the Cali Grill but not an evening meal.

Each to their own I guess
Old 18 Feb 20, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
We may see you there )
Yes indeed.
Old 18 Feb 20, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Glad you enjoyed the tour but as you say seems a bit long!
We have never been to Call Grill but from reading trippies seems it is a bit like marmite love or not
But a good birthday for BB

Joan
Agreed ... I love marmite . I dont love cali grill.