Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Feb 20, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mouse
Very Serious Dibber

mouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
They marked it mot fail due in 3weekscso had to cough up. Main dealer furrows Shropshire no measurements, sure I have had pads for other cars without discs. Know pads done as a pair so not sure why pricedeach. Feel manipulated and £240 of bill was labour, that is £100 an hour. No more dealer services for me
mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mouse View Post
They marked it mot fail due in 3weekscso had to cough up. Main dealer furrows Shropshire no measurements, sure I have had pads for other cars without discs. Know pads done as a pair so not sure why pricedeach. Feel manipulated and £240 of bill was labour, that is £100 an hour. No more dealer services for me
about average to be fair

i sue an independent Audi garage @£46 an hour

if MOT in 3 weeks plenty of time to get it sorted elsewhere, bit late now mind
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Hubby got a Mazda 6 16reg and has just had to have his breaks done.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

sure I have had pads for other cars without discs.
Yes new pads will routinely be fitted without replacing discs.
Most garages will always advise new pads if new discs are fitted.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve used a local family run garage for years. They can do all our work with genuine parts and we keep our warranty.

One of our cars had to go to the main dealer for a recall. While it was there they said it needed two new tyres. As it happens the car was due a service a week or so later, so we told them we’d leave the tyres.

Took the car to our local garage for the service and they said tyres were fine at that point. Two years later the tyres were still within the limits.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Agree you can do pads only.
But if discs then automatic to change pads.
Personally would always do in pairs.
Probably would do you the job myself as able to and have tools for less than 1/2 price.
But as others about Standard for dealers a good independent would be about 1/4 to 1/3 less.
Without seeing or measuring impossible to say if any issues.
However a binding brake or a stray stone can quickly ruin a disk if trapped in mechanism.
Old 18 Feb 20, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Disks do not have to be replaced with pads, and typically pads are replaced 2-3 times before disks need replacing.

Cars with low mileage often require disks more frequently where they are infrequently used as rust builds and is then scrubbed on next use. This can cause putting or just accelerated wear.

The disk will have a marker on it that shows the wear limit.

Some dealers recommend a change if they do not believe they will reach the next service. If that is 15k miles then they may be saying there is not 15k left on them even though you clearly do less annually.

However if they say it's an MOT fail lit that would suggest they are already past the wear indicators.

As some have said, you could go to a fast fit centre and get a free brake check for a second opinion.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mouse
Very Serious Dibber

mouse's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thanks think I am left feeling taken advantage of, obviously furrows as main dealer don’t care that people need tomplan for bills. The method of doing this with a no option you have to have it done, no,price then surprise at price means going to look for a local garage for new time. Definitely last Mazda and never going near furrows ever again.
mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Thanks think I am left feeling taken advantage of, obviously furrows as main dealer don’t care that people need tomplan for bills. The method of doing this with a no option you have to have it done, no,price then surprise at price means going to look for a local garage for new time. Definitely last Mazda and never going near furrows ever again.
But discs are designed to wear. You will get similar results if you drive your car in the same manner as the Mazda.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

they didnt ring you to say BTW this needs doing & will cost xx

they just fitted the pads/brakes and added to your bill?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List