Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jun 21, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Kitchen refurb start and end of day 1 photo - page 6

There were two options - one over 50cm the other over 60, I don't remember exactly. What would you go for

This is my kitchen layout if it makes any difference. Not exact but close to it

The second dilemma, is island layout

1) Current layout is pull out, either 30 or 40. Hob with drawers, drawers

or
2) Anther option is hob in inner corner, pull out to store things as oils, drawer after. Doesn't look as good but places the hob far from seats

and the last one is around seats. Should I leve it as it is - 3 seats for 60cm. There are 3 of us, if having meal at the same time we will be sitting on table so really it will be two eating at any time. Or alternatively should I get rid of that cabinet in the first photo and leave 70cm space for each seat?

Edited at 07:07 AM.
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We always looked to do a 500mm gap. That would change very slightly if we used thicker or thinner worktops. 600mm in my view will look strange.

My Wife is short so in our kitchen I did a 450mm gap as it suits her better.

Basically it a personal choice but I wouldn't go lower than 430mm.

Quite often the gap is dictated by the height you have to achieve regarding tall larder or appliance units so the tops all run straight.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 08:42 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

I just checked my wall cabinets and they are 45cm from the worktop to the base. They are plenty high enough to get my coffee machine and kitchen aid under with room to spare. I think another 5 or 15cm would make them really high - I have trouble reaching the top shelf as it is (I'm 5ft 4) If it is to stop you having a gap at the top, my builder boxed it in just behind the cornice and it has been painted to match the walls and IMO looks great, plus no cleaning tops of cabinets, just a wipe along the cornice

Stools at the island - is hard We are a family of 4 but due to having quartz I had to give up on 1 stool and just have 3. We have 2 on one side, down from the hob and 1 at the bottom. If all 4 of us are here then we eat at the table. When discussing it with the designer she said 3 in a row is nice to chat to people when cooking but not so good if you are eating together! I also moved my hob during the fit due to beams on the ceiling so it worked a lot better then. All I have under my hob are 2 sets of pan drawers with internal drawers which is where I keep the utensils, pans, baking tins, tea towels, foil, cling film. I keep all my food stuff in a big double larder cupboard next to the fridge.

Hope that helps!
Old 23 Sep 21, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
I just checked my wall cabinets and they are 45cm from the worktop to the base. They are plenty high enough to get my coffee machine and kitchen aid under with room to spare. I think another 5 or 15cm would make them really high - I have trouble reaching the top shelf as it is (I'm 5ft 4) If it is to stop you having a gap at the top, my builder boxed it in just behind the cornice and it has been painted to match the walls and IMO looks great, plus no cleaning tops of cabinets, just a wipe along the cornice

Stools at the island - is hard We are a family of 4 but due to having quartz I had to give up on 1 stool and just have 3. We have 2 on one side, down from the hob and 1 at the bottom. If all 4 of us are here then we eat at the table. When discussing it with the designer she said 3 in a row is nice to chat to people when cooking but not so good if you are eating together! I also moved my hob during the fit due to beams on the ceiling so it worked a lot better then. All I have under my hob are 2 sets of pan drawers with internal drawers which is where I keep the utensils, pans, baking tins, tea towels, foil, cling film. I keep all my food stuff in a big double larder cupboard next to the fridge.

Hope that helps!
what shade of white are your walls? Whites are soooo hard to choose!
Alien is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 21, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alien View Post
what shade of white are your walls? Whites are soooo hard to choose!
It is supposed to be Dulux white mist but the Valspar 500 mix. However it is a bit different as we tried to patch in with it in our bedroom - proper Dulux white mist, faces same direction - and it is slightly different, bit paler. It is in the grey blue group of whites. The house was all cream/magnolia/buttery colour so I wanted the sharper whites throughout. Our kitchen predominantly faces north but has some light coming from the other 3 compass points too!
Old 16 Jun 21, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

would love to see photo of your kitchen island parisdisney fan? I we are looking at slab doors and want to figure out what handles to use for the lower drawers too and I like the look of the photo you posted

Edited at 09:38 AM.
Old 16 Jun 21, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

There are some on my novice renovators thread here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...1188896&page=2 and I'll go and see if I can take some better ones!
Old 16 Jun 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Here are some others

This one we have a wall depth cupboard to hold up worktop, also useful for rarely used things😉

Opposite the stools I have 2 deep pan drawers with crockery in - opposite dishwasher for easy unload. The other unit is the 2 bin pullout bin which, very sad but, I love😉

And another of the hob end view. Dh still very wary of hood as it is too low in his opinion especially as near corner of unit!

Hope these help😉
Old 16 Jun 21, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alien View Post
would love to see photo of your kitchen island parisdisney fan? I we are looking at slab doors and want to figure out what handles to use for the lower drawers too and I like the look of the photo you posted
I love the knobs as easy to wipe and no edges/ridges/screw holes to get sticky gunk in. Discovering that matt units show every mark even if you do use the knobs. I still love it, but never expected navy matt to show marks more than white high gloss😫
Old 16 Jun 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Alien
Imagineer

omg, it's not what i imagined it all but it's fab! You have gorgeous kitchen. Thanks for the photos