Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 21, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlueAngel
Imagineer

Tell me about hot tubs

Hi all, DH and I currently away in Devon on a relaxing break. Where we are, we have a hot tub. Having never been in one before, we've thoroughly enjoyed it that were thinking of buying a hot tub. Now my thought is that we could spend £1000s on one and find it's a novelty. So we thought about getting an inflatable one and we how we get on with that. So looking for ideas about what is like to have one, maintain it, cost effective and so on. Just something to give us ideas on what we should buy.
TIA.

RIP Murphy 24.4.1999 - 4.5.2013
1995 - Tunisia, 2003 - Lanzarote & Gran Canaria, 2004 - Majorca, 2005 - Florida - ASMo. 2006 - Florida - Villa, 2007 - Salou, 2008 - Pop Century, 2009 - Kenya, 2010 - Eygpt, 2011 - Tenerife- 2012 Rhodes, Crete - 2013&2014, Florida - 2014&2015
TrueBlueAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Over lock down we had loads of time and bought ourselves a lazy spa - we got one of the bigger ones with 2 types of jets. We loved it but when we got back to having more things to do we just didn't use it. It cost quite a bit of money then - at lease £50 extra per month. I dread to think how much it would be now
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Our son and daughter both bought inflatable ones , both used then constantly at first.
Daughter now only uses her from around april to October.
Son bought a real one last year and they still use it a lot. He gave us his old inflatable one in July and we used it about every other day until September when something broke on it. We got it repaired but then moved house 3 weeks ago and it's been packed away ever since, chances are it wont see light of day till spring now
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Interesting that people aren’t using the inflatable ones in winter - we’ve had a permanent one for 5-6 years now and we use it far more in the winter months! (We do use it in the summer too, but turn the heat down and use it more as a splash pool whilst sunbathing! )😂

My DH had always wanted one, but I thought they were a waste of money until we had one on a weekend break in Cornwall with our boys. They we pre-teen then and it was wonderful sitting out under the stars altogether as a family and really talking (I think teenagers need a safe place to talk and in the dark looking up at the sky seems to be a good space for my sons at least).

So I gave in, and whilst DH is the one that definitely uses it the most, we do enjoy some good chats in there altogether still - particularly now the nights draw in earlier - there is still something special about being out there in the dark - last week DH and my youngest were out there on firework night watching the displays around them - terrific! 👍
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Ladyshopper
Imagineer

We have a permanent one. Love it, it's so relaxing lying in it with a glass of wine under the stars.

However, they cost more to run than you think, and with the huge increase in electricity costs we decided to empty ours and switch it off for this winter.
Ladyshopper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Lu Lu
Imagineer

We've got an artesian spa so it's a permanent one rather than an inflatable. I thought the novelty would wear off but I love it still. We're going through a phase lately of not using it quite as much - twice a week now rather than every other day but that's because work has been really busy and I've been ill.

They cost loads in electricity and more than a dealer tells you but for us it's worth it as we can spend time together, as amy said and it's been fantastic for sorting out a shoulder problem I have had for years.

I enjoy it more in the winter (once I'm in it, getting there and back isn't pleasant in the cold air!) but we do use it year round and other than keeping it warm, the chemicals and other upkeep costs aren't as high as I thought they would be.
Lu Lu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

my neighbour got one earlier this year & was initially used a lot, almost nightly as we can hear it bubbling away

last weekend he emptied it for the winter, said it was costing @£50-£70 a month & they didnt fancy using it in the damp/cold north east winter.

personally ive never seen the attraction other than the novelty value but hey thats just me
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

I think your idea of getting an inflatable one is the way to go. We got an inflatable layzspa first and had it up and working constantly for three years. Loved it especially in the winter. Then had builders in and it sprung a leek. Decided to go for another inflatable in May this year we took delivery of a Wave spa (around £300 cheaper than our first one). Enjoying that now. The things to bear in mind are chemicals and heating costs. I keep the chemicals at the right level and have it constantly heated at 37 degrees ready to use at anytime. It’s advertised as a four person but I feel it is more comfortable as a two person, never have four people in it. Cost around £35 a month in heating though that is probably going up when the fixed rate contract ends. I wondered if I would loose interest after a while but I haven’t in fact quite the opposite I keep adding things. I have it outside but with a Perspex roof. I have lights on the room, I have Bluetooth ear phones so I can play my music via Alexa, and I have a few glasses in case I need a relaxing drink. I have just asked for a projector for my birthday so I can play movies whilst sitting in the tub. DW wonders when I will run out of ideas for accessories
Old 12 Nov 21, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We have a permanent hot tub and have had it for 4.5 years now. We do use it less than we used to but still use it most weekends.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
TinselAngel
Imagineer

TinselAngel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We are planning for a permanent one and my advice would be to do your research. Definitely take advantage of wet tests as it will tell you far more than just looking at them in the showroom. We were keen on a Jacuzzi model until we did a wet test and found it was too shallow for DH. He is not excessively tall (a shade under 6ft) but has a long torso, so couldn’t get his shoulders under the water in it. We are now looking at Artesian. I think an inflatable one is an ok idea if you’re really not sure. There are owners’ groups on Facebook that will give you a flavour of costs though remember that you will see a disproportionately high number of people having water quality issues as people whose water is fine don’t go on a forum to say so every day. Hope that helps - can’t wait to order ours but we’re planning an extension which in part will house our new tub, so I have to be patient.

POFQ Dec 2006, Mar 2008, Oct 2009, Oct 2014
Dibb Villas : Mar 2009, Aug 2009, Xmas 2009 Dec 2010, Oct 2011, July 2013, July 2014, Xmas 2014, July 2015, Aug 2017, Jan 2018, Oct 18, OKW:Summer 2012, Beach Club:Oct 2015,July 2017. AKL:Oct 2019
TinselAngel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List