Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Nov 21, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
mushumadness
VIP Dibber

mushumadness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile Who’s ever bought a new build?

Morning all
This is the second new build we have bought (the first was completely finished by the time we even looked at it)
How did you find the process?
Our old house is sold and completed so all gone.
The new one is exchanged on and has a work to date of late January

I visited yesterday, it’s been built and water right with all outdoors done for a while.
Inside wise it’s all wired lights work, thermostats are in all the plumbing for bathrooms radiators etc are in
(All bathroom radiators etc are there ready to go in)
All the ceilings are painted, and most walls especially where radiators are going are painted
Both stair cases in but no rails
Apparently kitchen going in end of this month.

What happens after all that is don’t?
They arnt laying the floors we are

How did you find all these going in

I think the wait is driving me crazy having to live in two half’s at different homes.
mushumadness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Ours was fully built by the time we reserved but they did update us every Monday morning,

We bought with Bloor and have been in for over 4 months now and absolutely love it

We had carpets fit by bloor but had the kitchen, hall and downstairs and upstairs loos done in Amtico after we moved in. Struggled getting the stock so took 6 weeks but nowadays you’d be fine stock levels are back to normal’ish

We struggled getting a tiler
Old 14 Nov 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Also ours was fully built and no more work done by around May 3rd but they have a policy in place where you can’t move in until 3 weeks after (ours ended up being end of June anyway due to solicitors) but the house basically just sits there waiting for you lol
Old 14 Nov 21, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We picked our plot in March, sold our house and moved out on 1st June into a rental. Our house was due to be ready November time but was then pushed back to Feb/Mar. We then got a call to say another plot was available with a September entry so we swapped to that one. They allowed us to visit as often as we wanted to see progress so it’s been great seeing the different stages from foundations to completion. There was a delay with it and we finally got the keys on 15th October. They were still finishing it off the day before we moved in! They did allow our carpet fitters in to fit upstairs carpets before we actually got the keys on the Friday. Downstairs needed screened and LVT fitted but we got that done in the first week before moving in. Having the rental took the pressure off of trying to get everything done on day 1.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

We bought 2 adjacent new builds in 2019 and the process was tortuous to say the least. They were on their own private driveway and were 2 of the last 6 houses to be completed on a development which started in 2014.

Built up to roof level when plots reserved in July 2018 with an October projected completion date. We lived 100's of miles away in Essex so unable to visit often. When we visited in early September roof was on watertight with doors and windows and we were able to select kitchen, tiling to kitchen and bathrooms etc. Our plot included flooring throughout so we were able to also choose carpets.

We had regular updates from sales office. Date slipped to November, December and then to end February. We exchanged on both the sale of our own property in December with a fixed completion of end February on our sale and a projected completion of end February on our sale. DS was renting and had a very understanding landlord who allowed him to just stay as long as he needed on a month's notice. In the end we didn't complete on our purchase until 29th March. We moved our belongings up here and they were put into storage paid for by the developer. They would also have paid for accommodation but we decided we preferred to move in with our DS who lived up here already.

DS was sorting his own flooring as it was shared ownership and the housing association didn't allow incentives. He was having LVT throughout the ground floor and the fitter was unable to lay it without rescreeding. Total cost £1255 which Bovis paid for.

Bovis' excuses were many and various - I can't remember them all and and I'm sure I didn't believe half of them but you just seem to lose the will to live and just want it all to be over!

This is only a shortened version of the trauma endured I hope I never have to move again

Happy with the houses now though

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

I bought my house with st modwens last December.

We reserved in the July and it was air tight. Everything was finished in the November. We were delayed because my lender stretched things out a bit! But the builder was great at updates and were helpful.

We had a snagger and all faults were fixed within 4 weeks. We haven't had many issues since. Try to keep sales and the builders on side, be polite. I've found they are more helpful that way!

I honestly love my house and have no plans to move for a long time! But id probably go with a new build again.
Old 14 Nov 21, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I once bought when it was still a field, loved the house snd it being new and modern hated the fact that the community developed into something we did not like. I guess we were unlucky but would never buy a property in an area not mature where the community is not already created
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

We moved into a new build at the start of July and it is not our first but certainly was a far different experience. In the past we have always been able to access it during construction with a sales member or site member but this time we did not get close at all until all walls were plastered and they were already painting some of it. The excuse we were given was … Covid and site safety. We have numerous issues with it effectively, ie the house which keeps on giving ….. nightmares. Never had one so bad.
JAF is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 21, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We bought our new build when it was still a field too. Watched it go up and we would pop along every night or so to see how it was going and to take pictures just to catalogue progress. We were very excited.

We did notice that they had forgot to put the doorway to the garage from inside the house so we told them and it was an easy fix for them at that point. Got a big thank you from the site manager for that.

We love our house, nice little cul-de-sac with no other house overlooking us. Loads of snagging issues at the end but to be honest I expected them and we got them all fixed so no long term issues.
Old 14 Nov 21, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

We re in one
Never again! sooo stressful and took way longer than predicted
Far too noisy for me too
We will move once ds has done his a levels