Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Aug 20, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Indirect Via Newark

We have been quoted a good price for a fly drive for next year flying from Glasgow via Newark.

Has anyone done this route and can give me advice on transferring in Newark as we have never gone indirect before.

The price is too good to not book especially for school holidays next year. Ive had my refund back for this years cancelled trip and would like to book my flights in the hope that we will actually get this time around.
2littleboys is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I haven’t done Newark recently but would have no hesitation in booking it with a reasonable layover (3 hrs minimum). We did JFK last year and it was very easy.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Monolith
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by 2littleboys View Post
We have been quoted a good price for a fly drive for next year flying from Glasgow via Newark.

Has anyone done this route and can give me advice on transferring in Newark as we have never gone indirect before.

The price is too good to not book especially for school holidays next year. Ive had my refund back for this years cancelled trip and would like to book my flights in the hope that we will actually get this time around.
Would love to know also
Monolith is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
nth09
Apprentice Imagineer

nth09's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Went through Newark in 2016. Had a 3.5 hour transfer but was through immigration in 15 minutes. When we dropped bags off again we mentioned to the United staff member that we now had a long wait. She promptly put us on standby for an earlier flight which we got on!

Pretty straightforward airport to go through.
nth09 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
MaryMendes
Excited about Disney

I’ve done the Newark route a few times & would do it again if United still flew from Birmingham.

Allow at least 2.5 hours for your transfer as you need to go through immigration (the longest we have waited was about 40 minutes), drop your bags, transfer to the C terminal on the train & clear TSA (which can be at least 30 minutes). There can also be a 5-10 minute walk to the gate.

If you make good progress there are lots of places in C terminal to eat & drink & you can enjoy the views of the NY skyline!
MaryMendes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
MatJohnson
Proud to wear my Ears

Almost always fly indirect with work. I prefer it. You get to do what seems like the bulk of the crossing and then have a break and a leg strech.

You need the time to:

- Get off the plane
- Go through imigration
- Pick up your case
- Walk to the other side of the room
- Put it down on another belt
- Go through security again
- Get to the gate

Newark is normally pretty simple though.

You've also cleared immigration and when you get to Orlando, you just get off the plane, collect bag, get car and go. No more waiting for imigration
MatJohnson is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

It’s fine, done it many times. I would tend to want Minimum of 2.5 hours transit too.
Old 20 Aug 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I actually prefer a really good indirect to a direct.. regardless of the savings.

For us, an indirect is from Heathrow instead of Gatwick (1 hour plus of driving saved)... each way. And Prem Inn LHR is generally cheaper than Prem Inn LGW.

A 3 hour layover in Newark or wherever and then a ‘straight to baggage reclaim ‘ at Orlando whilst they unload your small regional aircraft is often much quicker the immigration hall at MCO and the unloading of a larger aircraft.

In summary, getting from my house front door to my Orlando destination added to the time spent getting from my Orlando base to my house front door can be quicker flying indirect than direct.. and it may be quicker for you also. And then we look at the savings!

In addition, we are not exclusively looking at Orlando or even Florida. Flying indirect opens up pretty much every single airport in the USA.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:14 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I actually prefer a really good indirect to a direct.. regardless of the savings.

For us, an indirect is from Heathrow instead of Gatwick (1 hour plus of driving saved)... each way. And Prem Inn LHR is generally cheaper than Prem Inn LGW.

A 3 hour layover in Newark or wherever and then a ‘straight to baggage reclaim ‘ at Orlando whilst they unload your small regional aircraft is often much quicker the immigration hall at MCO and the unloading of a larger aircraft.

In summary, getting from my house front door to my Orlando destination added to the time spent getting from my Orlando base to my house front door can be quicker flying indirect than direct.. and it may be quicker for you also. And then we look at the savings!

In addition, we are not exclusively looking at Orlando or even Florida. Flying indirect opens up pretty much every single airport in the USA.
CornishFrogboy
I understand your thinking in relation to other parts of US however given our location, in Devon, I would always choose TUI from Bristol for trips to Florida. Given the speed of immigration and car hire collection at Sanford compared to MCO I much prefer that trip.

Edited at 11:58 AM.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2littleboys View Post

I have never flown indirect to Florida however have been through Newark several times and immigration is pretty well planned and providing you leave a couple of hours change over you should be okay.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List