Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Nov 20, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gingerlife
Serious Dibber

We had our conservatory built last year with a thermal glass roof which has some sort of tinted film on it to stop the glare from the sun. We have used it every day since it was built. It has dwarf walls with windows on 3 sides and comes off our kitchen, diner.
We made sure we had radiators installed and so far it has been great.
Our garden is south facing as well.
Gingerlife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi I think what most are saying is that perhaps a sun room with proper roof would be better and I agree. Depending on your budget and your thought then perhaps a garden room or good quality wooden shed would be more cost effective. We put up a 14/10 shed/garden room with some storage room , double doors and windows in it . £2500
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi I think what most are saying is that perhaps a sun room with proper roof would be better and I agree. Depending on your budget and your thought then perhaps a garden room or good quality wooden shed would be more cost effective. We put up a 14/10 shed/garden room with some storage room , double doors and windows in it . £2500
We've looked into the shed option as a cheaper alternative- we'd need a Dutch barn as that's the only one with a high enough roof and they are expensive. Plus it removes the option of using it as extended living space

I'll look into sun rooms thanks

Edited at 06:17 PM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We had a conservatory on our old house. We had dwarf walls and a glass roof. It was open to the kitchen which made for a lovely space but I don’t think you can get planning for an open conservatory anymore. It did get hot / cold but we still used it a lot. An air conditioning unit would have made a big difference.

If I was building one now I’d consider a tiled roof and a skylight so you still get some light into the centre of your house but it’s not so hot.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again as for the garden shed/room option I can understand it’s less likely to be used as an extension to living space in winter months, in summer more likely. As for the height with any of our local shed manufacturers they have various basic models and you adopt as required. On ours we added a 4 ft store for a few hundred quid. Extra height shouldn’t be a problem especially if you use someone local. Just a thought and probably at this time of year they would be looking business.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again had a quick check and it looks like a garden room can be built without planning permission within the permitted guidelines. I’m sure some of the other dibbers will confirm the rules.

Edited at 01:53 PM.