Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 21, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
That’s such a shame, although I think every uni seems to be working with the same plan. I really hope that it will be mid February not Easter as Easter would mean a huge chunk of their year missed yet again 😔

Georgia really misses being in Bristol but she has said the huge benefit of having her meals cooked and her her washing done makes it bearable 😂
Well, the media (who I assume is reporting what the government are considering) have said the other day that some restrictions may be reduced in early March. So they've already moved things back by a couple of weeks. And early March is only a few weeks before the Unis break up for Easter.

And coming out of national lockdown will probably just mean many of us will go back into Tier 4. In which case, we're still not supposed to travel.

So I expect it'll be Easter before the Unis invite all the students back on campus. Yes, this does mean a huge chunk of their year missed.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Biscaya
Excited about Disney

I feel so sorry for all the students who wish to return but are not able to. We took our DD back to Sheffield yesterday. She is a first year Allied Health student and so allowed to return. I was quite surprised to see how busy it was around her university campus accommodation but luckily her block seemed very quiet. Two of her flat mates were already there with another returning later this week, so at least she has company. She is loving her first year despite the lack of face to face teaching so was really happy to go back. 😀
Biscaya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Well, the media (who I assume is reporting what the government are considering) have said the other day that some restrictions may be reduced in early March. So they've already moved things back by a couple of weeks. And early March is only a few weeks before the Unis break up for Easter.

And coming out of national lockdown will probably just mean many of us will go back into Tier 4. In which case, we're still not supposed to travel.

So I expect it'll be Easter before the Unis invite all the students back on campus. Yes, this does mean a huge chunk of their year missed.
I was having this exact conversation with my work mates this morning - I really wish we knew if and when face to face teaching will recommence! If it’s going to continue as online only then I will push the issue of cutting Ry’s rental contract short or getting some kind of refund - I have just topped up his rent shortfall by £900 and he’s not even there!

What upsets me the most though is the potential change in end point assessment if there is no face to face element as Ry should have been producing a short film this Semester!

What kind of job is he going to get in the industry without experience? 😢
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
I was having this exact conversation with my work mates this morning - I really wish we knew if and when face to face teaching will recommence!
Well, of course, no one knows when this will recommence. It's not like the government or universities know but are keeping the info secret from the students and parents. It all depends on what happens with the virus and, as we've seen, that's difficult to predict.

Well, you could look at it this way. They are getting far more experience of doing things online and using apps like Zoom/Skype/Teams/Webex/whatever than I ever had.

Yes, I know, it's not really what you meant. The lack of practical experience is a bit concerning. DD has an assignment to do where, in previous years, they went to some farms and studied the animals (I forget the details now). That can't happen this year so DD is unsure how she's supposed to do that assignment. She's waiting a reply from her tutor.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Biscaya View Post
I feel so sorry for all the students who wish to return but are not able to. We took our DD back to Sheffield yesterday. She is a first year Allied Health student and so allowed to return. I was quite surprised to see how busy it was around her university campus accommodation but luckily her block seemed very quiet. Two of her flat mates were already there with another returning later this week, so at least she has company. She is loving her first year despite the lack of face to face teaching so was really happy to go back. 😀
It’s so good to hear that your DD has still managed to enjoy her first year, especially considering the situation they have found themselves in.

I do think quite a few have gone back, especially those in private rentals, as they see their uni cities as their homes and are paying such a lot for the rent so they feel they may as well be there living with their friends as at home.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

I was having this exact conversation with my work mates this morning - I really wish we knew if and when face to face teaching will recommence! If it’s going to continue as online only then I will push the issue of cutting Ry’s rental contract short or getting some kind of refund - I have just topped up his rent shortfall by £900 and he’s not even there!

What upsets me the most though is the potential change in end point assessment if there is no face to face element as Ry should have been producing a short film this Semester!

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Well, of course, no one knows when this will recommence. It's not like the government or universities know but are keeping the info secret from the students and parents. It all depends on what happens with the virus and, as we've seen, that's difficult to predict.

Well, you could look at it this way. They are getting far more experience of doing things online and using apps like Zoom/Skype/Teams/Webex/whatever than I ever had.

Yes, I know, it's not really what you meant. The lack of practical experience is a bit concerning. DD has an assignment to do where, in previous years, they went to some farms and studied the animals (I forget the details now). That can't happen this year so DD is unsure how she's supposed to do that assignment. She's waiting a reply from her tutor.
It’s the lack of practical teaching, field trips and hands on experience that Georgia is worried about. She feels that it’s vital to her understanding of the course, and also needed for her future employability. She was hoping to get some volunteering opportunities plus practical experience within her course this year but Covid restrictions are making this impossible 😔
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 21, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Minicooper
Imagineer

DD has had few zoom sessions over the last week mainly Q&As with performers from the musical theatre industry. Their actual semester doesn't start till 1st Feb but they should have been on campus working on a production which is now scheduled for the end of July. Today she has had a online fitness/dance class so furniture all moved out of the conservatory to create a dance space. Whilst this is going on my son had his online classes upstairs in his bedroom, Im working from home in the kitchen and my husband is trying to sleep as he is on nights.
Old 19 Jan 21, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minicooper View Post
DD has had few zoom sessions over the last week mainly Q&As with performers from the musical theatre industry. Their actual semester doesn't start till 1st Feb but they should have been on campus working on a production which is now scheduled for the end of July. Today she has had a online fitness/dance class so furniture all moved out of the conservatory to create a dance space. Whilst this is going on my son had his online classes upstairs in his bedroom, Im working from home in the kitchen and my husband is trying to sleep as he is on nights.
It’s difficult when everyone is working from home at once. Especially when your DD is studying a course that needs space to practise and your DH is night shift 😢
Old 20 Jan 21, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Minicooper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
It’s difficult when everyone is working from home at once. Especially when your DD is studying a course that needs space to practise and your DH is night shift 😢
Yeah we had a big discussion about it yesterday, I was on a work call yesterday when she was having a singing lesson. Luckily the person I was speaking to thought it was quite funny. So she has decided she is going back to her student house during half term week. Its a private rental so shes within her rights to go and live there. The uni are looking at them being able to book out the practice rooms it would be strictly by single households but as all 5 of them are on the same course so that would work.
Old 20 Jan 21, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minicooper View Post
Yeah we had a big discussion about it yesterday, I was on a work call yesterday when she was having a singing lesson. Luckily the person I was speaking to thought it was quite funny. So she has decided she is going back to her student house during half term week. Its a private rental so shes within her rights to go and live there. The uni are looking at them being able to book out the practice rooms it would be strictly by single households but as all 5 of them are on the same course so that would work.
It may be a nice distraction from work for them to be serenaded by your DD when on the phone to you 😀

I can understand why your daughter needs to return for practise though. I think many students who haven’t returned by half term in private rents will reconsider then. I know Georgia and her housemates are considering going back then too. All their belongings are at their rented home and they are paying full rent there so feel they want to get some use out of it.