Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Jul 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
swanrest
Getting Excited

Pre-Existing Travel Insurance

Can anyone help please... I am searching for reasonable quotes for insurance for our trip next May ( First trip exceeding 3 weeks!) I accept that any insurance is risk based subject to the health conditions to be covered, however I do not wish to either pay exorbitant prices or be inadequately covered, has anyone had recent good or bad experience with quotes from insurance companies, any advice would be welcome and thanks in advance.
swanrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We are both over 70 and have had a fairly serious PEMC each coupled with travelling to the USA none of these things help with premiums.

The important thing in our opinion is medical expenses cover.

I used to "rave" on here about Boots Platinum - good individual cover on each item, no excesses and £10m medical. Their premium in May 2017 was c£800, in May 2018 c£820 - best I could find after testing 6-8 companies. However their quote in May 2019 was £1,250.

Told them politely that it was not acceptable and tried the market again. Best this time was Staysure Comprehensive at £850 - no excesses, adequate cover on all elements and UNLIMITED medical.

The important thing in my opinion is to make sure you compare apples with apples. A premium of £500 that only covers cancellation up to £2,000 with a £100 excess for example is not as good as a £600 premium with cancellation up to £3,000 with no excess.

Mick
Old 27 Jul 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Try InsureAndGo we have their annual policy, DH has asthma, I have a tumour & we do whats termed an extreme sport in winter in Canada & we find their prices fine. You get what your pay for after all .
Old 27 Jul 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
tim17
slightly serious Dibber

My wife and I both have PMEC's and we went with Staysure as well, we're only in our 50's so the cost was quite low.
tim17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Pixie_Hollow
I want to go now!

I found trying to get insurance with a pre existing condition a bit of a minefield too. I have cardiac issues and found through the British Heart Foundation that they provided names of in insurers that might help. So it might be an idea checking through websites to see if there are any recommendations. We went with Sainsbury’s last time but this time it will probably be insure and go this time.
Old 27 Jul 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinythepanda
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

I’ve used staysure and freedom and found them both reasonable. I have complex health issues but found them reasonable with good coverage
Tinythepanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

This is very much dependent on your medical condition(s), how they are managed and what risk they pose.
My mum has RA, hypertension and has had a heart valve replaced as well as a shoulder. Both conditions are stable and treatment working.

She banks with Barclays and gets one of their travel packs for insurance. It’s a minimum six months for the travel pack but it works out to about £100. This was far cheaper than any quotes we got for single trip policies.
She is covered without any additional payment. Her last trip was seven months after the op.
Next best I found was LV.
LLamb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

I’m with puffin second year , and their prices are really good , annual policy , easy to claim if needed to

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
voicon
Apprentice Imagineer

voicon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Me and the wife have PEMC's and got a great quote from Boots, cheapest around and their platinum service.
voicon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

What I did was look at what the British Diabetic Association recommended.

Is there a web association for your existing condition? if, so, see who they recommend
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List