Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Jan 20, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
lwhit_x
Getting Excited

Disneyland / Anaheim..where to stay?

We’re spending the last 3 nights of our honeymoon in or as close to Anaheim as possible. This will solely be for us to spend the time at Disneyland so have looked at their good neighbour hotels because we aren’t made of money and can not afford to stay on site (I’m gutted!).

We’ve also had a little look at AirBnbs, which I probably shouldn’t have done as I’ve now found a gorgeous little place in Fullerton.

So I guess what I’m trying to ask is where would you stay? Any hotel recommendations welcome, plus reviews/opinions on Fullerton.

Thanks 😁
lwhit_x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Don't strees about not staying onsite. The majority of people stay at Good Neighbour hotels and motels. Some of the offiste places have a shorter walk to the park entrance than the onsite hotels.

Go to Google Maps. Harbour Boulevard from Ball Road North to Katella Avenue south, is the ideal place to start. Any of the properties along Harbour are walkable to the parks.

Fullerton IMO is way too far, if your main purpose is Disneyland.

Its such a better experience to stay within walking distance.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
lwhit_x
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Don't strees about not staying onsite. The majority of people stay at Good Neighbour hotels and motels. Some of the offiste places have a shorter walk to the park entrance than the onsite hotels.

Go to Google Maps. Harbour Boulevard from Ball Road North to Katella Avenue south, is the ideal place to start. Any of the properties along Harbour are walkable to the parks.

Fullerton IMO is way too far, if your main purpose is Disneyland.

Its such a better experience to stay within walking distance.

This is so helpful, thanks so much!

I shouldn’t have even looked on AirBnB, if I hadn’t I wouldn’t have even considered it! But you’re right, if that’s all we’re there for then it makes sense to be walking distance.
lwhit_x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

you are welcome

If you stay at any of the motels on Harbour Boulevard you can use the pedestrian entrance to Disneyland.

There are more hotels and motels located along W Katella Avenue, between S Walnut Street and The Santa Ana Freeway. If you stay at any of the hotels and motels along W Katella Avenue you would need some sort of transport to Disneyland, either a rental car, Uber / Lyft / hotel shuttle or ART shuttle.

Some people have a specific hotel chain they like to use. The following chains all have properties either on Harbour Boulevard or W Katella Avenue
Howard Johnsons
Radisson
Motel 6
Wyndham
Hyatt
Best Western
Holiday Inn
Marriott
Westin

The main deciding factors should be
Distance to Disneyland
Hotel amenities

The motels on Harbour Boulevard between W Manchester Avenue and W Katella Avenue have the shortest walking distance to Disneyland BUT they have less amenities, basic food options, basic low quality swimming pools.

The hotels along W Katella Avenue, between S Walnut Street and The Santa Ana Freeway are not walking distance to Disneyland BUT have more amenities, good food options, good pool areas.

I have stayed at
Dessert Inn and Suites
Motel 6 Main Gate

In June 2020 I have booked Kings Inn
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, and it was fantastic. It was cheaper to stay at the Grand Californian for our dates, but the DL Hotel was the one I wanted to stay in, so we did.

I appreciate it can be relatively expensive, but we booked up quite late on, and there was a deal running.

Checking my emails, we booked on the 7th August for a 4-night stay 19-23 August, and it cost $334.40 per night. From when I've looked before, Disneyland seems to have deals on quite often, but generally for the very near future.

We're considering another three weeks on the West coast this summer, and I'd leave our DL booking until late to see if there are any good deals again.

In short - if you can stretch to either the DLH or the GC for your special occasion, I doubt you'll be disappointed!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
I'll add that initially we were considering staying off-site and I used this guide to get a shortlist of the best hotels:

disneytouristblog/di...d-hotels-near/

I'd decided on the Courtyard Anaheim Theme Park Entrance as it seemed a very nice hotel and had a good water play section for the kids.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, and it was fantastic. It was cheaper to stay at the Grand Californian for our dates, but the DL Hotel was the one I wanted to stay in, so we did.

I appreciate it can be relatively expensive, but we booked up quite late on, and there was a deal running.

Checking my emails, we booked on the 7th August for a 4-night stay 19-23 August, and it cost $334.40 per night. From when I've looked before, Disneyland seems to have deals on quite often, but generally for the very near future.

We're considering another three weeks on the West coast this summer, and I'd leave our DL booking until late to see if there are any good deals again.

In short - if you can stretch to either the DLH or the GC for your special occasion, I doubt you'll be disappointed!
Thats approx $1337 total for 4 nights, not including tax, which is outrageous.

Alot of the offsite work out at less than $150 per night. I usually pay around $120 per night, in June.

IFor me I spend over 14 hours in the park, I leave my hotel at around 7am and dont get back until after 11pm. I just need somewhere safe to sleep, to store my luggage and to shower. I don't eat at my hotel and I don't use the pool.

I guess its about priorities and budget. I fly from Europe so thats my big expense, my flight costs what you spend on a hotel.
Old 30 Jan 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bad Pink Tink View Post
Thats approx $1337 total for 4 nights, not including tax, which is outrageous.

Alot of the offsite work out at less than $150 per night. I usually pay around $120 per night, in June.

IFor me I spend over 14 hours in the park, I leave my hotel at around 7am and dont get back until after 11pm. I just need somewhere safe to sleep, to store my luggage and to shower. I don't eat at my hotel and I don't use the pool.

I guess its about priorities and budget. I fly from Europe so thats my big expense, my flight costs what you spend on a hotel.
As you say: each to their own. I don't consider it outrageous at all - the hotel was lovely, we really enjoyed it, and felt it worth every penny.

It was our first visit to Disneyland and we didn't know if/when we'd be heading back. As it is, we may well be back this summer.

When we visit WDW we tend to stay onsite - nearly always at the Beach Club now it seems. Again - we just love what it brings to our holiday, even if there are far cheaper options.

(Edit: checking emails again, that was the pre-tax room price. There was another $227 of tax to go on there too )

Part One
Part Two

Edited at 05:27 PM.
Old 30 Jan 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Vertigo
Excited about Disney

we go in early November and we are staying off site through Expedia (homeaway) just over the road on a complex.

Its a 15 minute walk according to google maps, which probably means only 10 in reality.

We are a family of 4 that has two teenage girls and space is important - as is separate beds - and hotels usually are double double which is a pain.

we also like that it has a kitchen as we prefer our own food rather than $150 on meals each day and we can prepare our own snacks. Plus free parking.

With tax, it is just under £250 a night. But for what we get with personal space, kitchen, parking and pools etc its worth it for us.

Look up Funteirland on expedia if you are interested. They seem to have loads of properties in that complex.
Vertigo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’m staying at Best Western Plus Park Place Inn in March - it’s right opposite the gate! It’s the closest hotel to the theme park (including onsite hotels!). Last visit we stayed at Hilton Anaheim which is about 15-20 minutes walk away. At the end of the day we looked longingly at all the hotels opposite the entrance and wished we’d booked those as our feet were killing! 😂
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List