Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Mar 20, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Maldives - anyone been and got any tips?

Rob and I both celebrate big birthdays in the next year so we are looking at a holiday to the Maldives.

Ideally we want a water bungalow and all inclusive but otherwise have no real clue. We aren’t big drinkers (I don’t drink alcohol at all) so not too worried about that but would love some tips on where to stay / good companies to book with...

Thanks
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
brindle
Imagineer

Never been always fancied going though.
Well we booked 2 weeks ago for this october, I cant wait.
Going to adaaran select meedhupparu, seem to get good reviews.
Look on TripAdvisor, took me ages to decide, have looked other years but never booked, got sick of looking and book elsewhere, lol.
There is a Facebook group so I am sure other island will have the same.
Good luck , I will Pm you.
Terre Verde Resort April 2008+ April 2010
Florida Keys July 2009
brindle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

I went many years ago with Kuoni. We nearly booked last year for this Easter. Best prices from Manchester were via Emirates booking flights and hotel together. Only sting was "private' transfer to the island on arrival.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve been three times all different resorts but close to male as didn’t want the extra hassle of the sea plane transfer and then luggage arriving later etc.
So I’ve been to bandos, meeru and can’t remember the last one but we got a really good last minute deal. Full board for a week for £480.

Anyway, I think meeru was my favourite. We are divers so spent most of the time under water. They have a lovely spa and the pool was nice.
I would go back to any of the resorts we stayed and generally I think they are all good.

We didn’t go for water bungalow as I’ve heard they can get a bit nosy with the water sometimes.
Transfers are generally provided by the resort you are staying at so generally a package holiday is often the cheapest. We booked two of ours via hays and Jarvis as they were usually the cheapest.

The airport landing is fun, make sure you get a window seat.
LLamb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 20, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Hudson
Imagineer

A few years ago the wife and i stayed on the below island
kuramathi/

We had a beach bungalow (all water bungalows were booked) only about 4 steps and we were in the water.
We were at the top end of the island near the spit of sand on the calm side of the island with the reef. The reef ran the full length of the island.
Each night loads of stingrays would come to be fed by one of the staff (they were huge).
To get to the island we took a fast boat which took 2 hours... not good... nearly everyone on the boat was ill, we were airborne half the time.
We booked a seaplane for the return which was 100% better.
Hudson is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
jim jehosofat
Imagineer

We've been to Meedhupparu four times. Its a nice small island. You can sometimes upgrade to a water bungalow when you're there, though be warned its around an extra £350 a night.
jim jehosofat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
pastylad
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by jim jehosofat View Post
We've been to Meedhupparu four times. Its a nice small island. You can sometimes upgrade to a water bungalow when you're there, though be warned its around an extra £350 a night.
We went to Meedhupparu back in 2001 for our honeymoon, there were no water bungalows there then, was a nice small island.
Old 3 Mar 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thanks, I'll have a look at these.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 20, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

My DBF (now DH) & I went on our first holiday together to the Maldives 33 years ago; we were both 18!

We picked it when flicking through the travel brochure as it was the only destination offering 2 weeks for the price of 1!
We had to look on a map to see where it was.

No direct flights in those days; our route was Gatwick-Zurich-Dubai-Colombo on 1 flight which stopped to drop off & pick up passengers, 6 hours layover in Colombo & a flight to Male then a boat to our resort; took 24 hours to get there!

Sri Lanka was in the midst of a civil war at the time; we landed at Colombo to the sight of armed soldiers lining the runway as Tamil Tigers had attacked a flight the year before killing a number of tourists!

No mobiles or internet in those days; 1 phone on the desk in hotel reception to call my mum to say we had arrived! 1 TV in the bar area; programmes between 4-9pm only each day!

All inclusive but nothing like today’s resorts with a choice of restaurants/cuisines etc; 1 dining room with a choice of around 3 dishes at dinner; 2 of them being freshly caught fish; a BBQ once a week!

No spa facilities; no overwater bungalows, all single storey rooms identical with outdoor rainwater tepid showers and a patio that you stepped off onto the beach. Just 20 bungalows or so on our island.
No facilities to buy anything on our island; if you hadn’t brought enough sunscreen or toiletries with you, tough!
No pool; swimming/cooling off was in the sea.

Day trip to the capital; no hotels or shops there at that time; everything for sale in the open air market. All buildings single storey apart from the mosque.

Everyone who we told where we were going said” Where, never heard of it!”

Sounds grim; no, it was wonderful; will never forget the sights we saw whilst snorkelling, the sunsets, the warm bath brilliant blue ocean; their tag line then was “no shoes, no news”; think there are few places in the world who can say that anymore; we feel privileged to have experienced a simpler Maldives hotel that allows its surroundings to be that star rather than a glossy & corporate resort.

Have a wonderful time.

Edited at 12:07 AM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We've been twice to both Diamond resorts Thudufushi and Athruga. Much preferred Athruga we thought it was paradise.

A few things you need to think about:

Do you want a big or small island? Smaller one like the ones we went to you can walk around in ten minutes have limited choice of restaurants, others are big enough to ride a bike around and have multiple eating options.

Do you want to snorkel? We chose the above as we wanted all inclusive but also wanted to snorkel right of the beach. Some resorts you have to get a boat out to the reef.

Be careful looking at all inclusive, some are more inclusive than others!

We found the forums on a well known travel site useful for planning and deciding on an Island.

Just another point if you go to a resort with sea plane transfer make sure you get a flight that arrives in the morning and then not to late in the afternoon evening. Seaplanes only operate during daylight and you really don't want to be stuck spending a night at the airport. We loved the sea planes by the way, great fun with the barefoot pilots!

Hope you find what you are looking for it is a fantastic destination
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List