Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Nov 20, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jonsgirl80 View Post
As long as the advice is not still in place on the date you travel.

It looks like you can also buy an extension that covers you if you travel against fco advice but I wouldn't so didn't look into it
I spoke to Staysure today about the Covid add on. They said currently it only applies to European travel. US not included.
Wolf1984 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
jonsgirl80
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wolf1984 View Post
I spoke to Staysure today about the Covid add on. They said currently it only applies to European travel. US not included.
Ah that's a shame - as I said I didn't really look into it as we wouldn't travel against Fco advice anyway. Luckily everything we've booked is moveable/cancellable
jonsgirl80 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Splatt
Gone all Goofy

As long as the advice is not still in place on the date you travel.

It looks like you can also buy an extension that covers you if you travel against fco advice but I wouldn't so didn't look into it
Are you sure? Trust me I really want to book but every policy even with COVID cover I’ve seen has a general clause excluding cover in event of ‘circs that could reasonably be foreseen to result in a claim’. I’d take that to mean booking a trip to a country the FCO advises against travel AT THE TIME of booking. Of course if you book everything refundable then you should be okay but I’m not sure the insurance would cover the cancellation.
Splatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Splatt View Post
Are you sure? Trust me I really want to book but every policy even with COVID cover I’ve seen has a general clause excluding cover in event of ‘circs that could reasonably be foreseen to result in a claim’. I’d take that to mean booking a trip to a country the FCO advises against travel AT THE TIME of booking. Of course if you book everything refundable then you should be okay but I’m not sure the insurance would cover the cancellation.
Insurance companies are businesses, I'm quite certain they would argue that it's reasonable to expect a trip to not go ahead if the FCO advises against travel. However I can easily see how you could argue that you expect that advice to end by next August, especially given we'd then be in a summer lull, and vaccinations should be well underway in both countries. Also if the insurance includes a covid premium, it should include covid payout.
Old 29 Nov 20, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
jonsgirl80
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Splatt View Post
Yes, absolutely.

I'm sure there was a thread on this a while ago too. There was nothing I can find in the small print about date of booking and fco advice.

There's a long list of things they will cover for such as catching covid before travel or being refused boarding at the airport - the only thing I can see that they don't explicitly mention covering is having to cancel if things take a turn for the worse and the fco ban is, still in place before travel - but in that case there are other mechanisms for getting money back.
jonsgirl80 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Yes, absolutely.

I'm sure there was a thread on this a while ago too. There was nothing I can find in the small print about date of booking and fco advice.

There's a long list of things they will cover for such as catching covid before travel or being refused boarding at the airport - the only thing I can see that they don't explicitly mention covering is having to cancel if things take a turn for the worse and the fco ban is, still in place before travel - but in that case there are other mechanisms for getting money back.
The large insurers I work for or with will not cover cancellation if booked now (i.e. against FCO advise)

nationwide/-/media...of-changes.pdf

Important information about the cancelling your trip section of the travel insurance
‘The following additional exclusion applies to the Cancelling Your Trip section of the Travel Insurance policy for the following cancellation reasons:
• 2. Court cases and quarantine
• 8. FCO travel advice ‘All travel’
• 9. FCO travel advice ‘All but essential travel’
• 10. Natural disaster
There is no cover for any claim arising directly or indirectly or in any way connected to the disease Covid-19 (coronavirus) or any mutation of it or any
disease that is declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation. This includes any steps taken by any entity including but not limited to transport
operator, Government, authority or agency, in response to or as a result of Covid-19 or a pandemic. This also includes any claim for any person being
quarantined or self-isolating in relation to Covid-19 or a pandemic.’
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I don't imagine I would be compensated in FCO advice doesn't change, I'm happy to take the risk and rely on the flexibility of the policies with the companies I've booked with. BA are doing free amendments or allowing you to cash in for vouchers and WDTC are doing free cancellation up to 7 days before booking.

If FCO travel advice doesn't change we can go elsewhere - although I think it's unlikely. My biggest concern is one of us testing positive and being unable to travel for that reason - I need to look and see if my insurance would cover that - I imagine I can get additional cover nearer the time. 9 months seems to be a long time in the life of a pandemic - I'm really hopeful that the world will be a much better place by next August.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jonsgirl80
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
The large insurers I work for or with will not cover cancellation if booked now (i.e. against FCO advise)

nationwide/-/media...of-changes.pdf

Important information about the cancelling your trip section of the travel insurance
‘The following additional exclusion applies to the Cancelling Your Trip section of the Travel Insurance policy for the following cancellation reasons:
• 2. Court cases and quarantine
• 8. FCO travel advice ‘All travel’
• 9. FCO travel advice ‘All but essential travel’
• 10. Natural disaster
There is no cover for any claim arising directly or indirectly or in any way connected to the disease Covid-19 (coronavirus) or any mutation of it or any
disease that is declared a pandemic by the World Health Organisation. This includes any steps taken by any entity including but not limited to transport
operator, Government, authority or agency, in response to or as a result of Covid-19 or a pandemic. This also includes any claim for any person being
quarantined or self-isolating in relation to Covid-19 or a pandemic.’
Yes I had seen some press coverage about nationwide policies I think.

I can't find anything similar on my policy though I am willing to be told I'm wrong if someone else has seen different.

It only says trips will be covered on policies taken out after march for travel after July - nothing about when it was booked.

My policy also specifically covers claims for quarantine and self isolating due to covid so obviously the terms are quite different from the one you've quoted above.

My major concern going to the USA is medical cover - cancellation is secondary as I said, there are other mechanisms for getting money back and for the price I've paid I personally am willing to take a gamble - others may not be and that's their choice
Old 29 Nov 20, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
I don't imagine I would be compensated in FCO advice doesn't change, I'm happy to take the risk and rely on the flexibility of the policies with the companies I've booked with. BA are doing free amendments or allowing you to cash in for vouchers and WDTC are doing free cancellation up to 7 days before booking.

If FCO travel advice doesn't change we can go elsewhere - although I think it's unlikely. My biggest concern is one of us testing positive and being unable to travel for that reason - I need to look and see if my insurance would cover that - I imagine I can get additional cover nearer the time. 9 months seems to be a long time in the life of a pandemic - I'm really hopeful that the world will be a much better place by next August.
I’m similar in terms of perception of the risk. There is some there, but as you say the world will hopefully be a much nicer place by next August. I am not at this stage concerned about testing positive before we go as I’m expecting us to be vaccinated by that time, whether I pay for that via taxation or as an individual is the only real question I have.
Old 29 Nov 20, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Imagineer

Yes I had seen some press coverage about nationwide policies I think.

I can't find anything similar on my policy though I am willing to be told I'm wrong if someone else has seen different.

It only says trips will be covered on policies taken out after march for travel after July - nothing about when it was booked.

My policy also specifically covers claims for quarantine and self isolating due to covid so obviously the terms are quite different from the one you've quoted above.

My major concern going to the USA is medical cover - cancellation is secondary as I said, there are other mechanisms for getting money back and for the price I've paid I personally am willing to take a gamble - others may not be and that's their choice
Hi, can I ask which insurance company you used? We are looking for covid insurance that covers self- isolation for The Canaries next April?
Endless Summer 2023
jojo_3596 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List