Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jan 21, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

It sounds great. I would certainly go for it. DH left the army after 22 years and got a job that was different from what he did in the army but used similar skills. He drives alot, driven from Kent to Scotland, but drove all over (before covid), he has always loved driving and this hasnt changed. Good luck
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Is it for the water company or a local developer? If the water company I'd jump at it. They'll be lots of opportunity to get further training and move departments so even if it's only for 12 months and find you hate it then it could open more doors.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 21, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
Is it for the water company or a local developer? If the water company I'd jump at it. They'll be lots of opportunity to get further training and move departments so even if it's only for 12 months and find you hate it then it could open more doors.
It’s actually for an emergency plumbing company, but they have a contract with Thames Water for handling their new meters
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkstargirl
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

While I don't do the same job, I spend a lot of my day on the road. I live near Heathrow and visit sites up as far as Norfolk, down to cornwall, the far reaches of Kent, South Wales and everywhere in between. I was facing potential redundancy in the summer so took the new position rather than lose my job, and I enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would. I can listen to what I want on the radio/podcasts, make stops if/when I want or need to. There's a degree of flexibility with my role in that I'm also pretty much my own boss, and as long as my site visits are done, it doesn't matter which order or what time I visit.
At present I don't find the roads too bad (except greater London but no surprise there!) however once people start returning to offices I can see it getting more frustrating, there's nothing more I hate than sitting still on a motorway.
I'd say go for it. You've got nothing to lose and if you really don't like it, keep hold of it and look for something else!
pinkstargirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Imagineer

Thanks everyone. Looks like I’m going to give it a go👍👍
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Thanks everyone. Looks like I’m going to give it a go👍👍
Good luck keep us updated as to how you get on 😎
ClaireNJ is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I retired at 48 due to burn out. Im still qualified as a solicitor and crown advocate but Id never ever want to do that again. 8 years later I still dont have a job but plan to do something different this year ! Your new job sounds fab. Job and finish. No stress or left over grief. Thats the sort of job Id like - Id defo go for it !
Old 21 Jan 21, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I would grab it. The worst that will happen is that you don't enjoy it. As they say and I believe it to be true, its always easier to get a job when you already have one.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Andy C
Imagineer

I'd take it. A complete shift in tack can be renewing and refreshing; at least, that's how I'd try to look at it. I think psychologists say there's an awful lot to that, and at the end of the day, I think there's probably more chance of regretting not doing it than doing it, if you see what I mean.
Andy C is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Personally I’d accept it , you might really enjoy it .

If not it’s a job and money to tide you over till you find something else .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List