Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Feb 13, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

While this may be seen as over moderating can there be some definitive decision regarding certain subject being 'closed down' as they are always going to cause strong feeling i.e tipping?

There has been some inconsistency (from memory) regarding this in the past where some mods etc post the guidelines and close the thread while others allow it to run and the thread will usually get locked (I admit it is a subject very dear to my heart and am often guilty of replying )

I appreciate the freedom of speech premise but if, from previous experience, everyone knows where the thread will end up (remember the popcorn smilie) then why let it run and create that extra work for the admin/mods.

I appreciate you may not agree but have taken this opportunity to air this on this thread.
Old 18 Feb 13, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Admin you do a great job and opinions vary so much being biased must be tough. Thanks for all your work
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 13, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
MEZZA
Imagineer

MEZZA's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Thank you

MEZZA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 13, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
As Stu posted - we have tried leaving them open lately but it doesn't work.

We were slated for over modding threads so just lately we have been leaving some threads open that we would normally have closed. We were also slated for giving out warnings and infractions to members that crossed the boundaries of site etiquette and rules, so we relaxed this. However leaving the threads open and not applying sanctions against members who break our rules is obviously not working.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 13, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
zokaluse
VIP Dibber

Yes I too have noticed some flaming posts in threads..not nice and glad to see it is being dealt with.
I'm an ex Open University forum moderator so I now how time consuming people not sticking to the rules etc can be..I praise all you mods!
DLP Jan 2014 H Cheyenne & H New York
DLP Dec 2014 Sequoia Lodge
Florida Aug/Sept 2016 RPR/WDW BC/DCL Dream Bahamian 4 night cruise/ WDW BC
DLP Dec 2016 Newport Bay Club
Disney Magic Staycation Cruise Aug 2021

Aug 2023;BC 9 nights WV, AKL 8 nights SV, HRH 3 nights FRCL, CB 2BS, Weeki Watchee 2 nights, Holmes Beach house 8 nights
zokaluse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 13, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Melonz
Imagineer

Melonz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Thanks for the reminder
Old 18 Feb 13, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hi Heather,
As much as I would like to give a black and white answer I can't. Each thread/Post has to be taken on it's own merit depending on the actual context of the thread. One of the reasons we don't want members trying to moderate the threads.

Why should threads on 'Tipping' for example be banned just because some members can't be adult about things. This thread has been made so that we can tackle the members that turn innocent threads into arguments.

If someone asks about tipping and someone says I don't bother tipping, that is just them expressing what they are doing or their opinion, it's not an excuse for other members to then have a go at them telling them they shouldn't be going to florida if they can't afford to tip, etc.

Admin and Moderators will decide which threads are allowed or not allowed.
Old 18 Feb 13, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Hi Heather,
As much as I would like to give a black and white answer I can't. Each thread/Post has to be taken on it's own merit depending on the actual context of the thread. One of the reasons we don't want members trying to moderate the threads.

Why should threads on 'Tipping' for example be banned just because some members can't be adult about things. This thread has been made so that we can tackle the members that turn innocent threads into arguments.

If someone asks about tipping and someone says I don't bother tipping, that is just them expressing what they are doing or their opinion, it's not an excuse for other members to then have a go at them telling them they shouldn't be going to florida if they can't afford to tip, etc.

I think these can be the most frustrating posts though!

Someone asks what to do in a certain tipping situation (eg party of 6 ) it doesn't call for someone to then say they don't bother tipping at all.

In a similar manner if someone asks what is the legal allowance for bringing goods into the UK from the USA it doesn't call for someone to posts they always bring more.

Neither reply is answering the question and will always get an alternative response causing a discussion and not the information required by the op.

I know this thread isn't for discussion and really for information so will leave this.

I appreciate that there are a lot of members with many different points of views so there will always be some very 'lively' discussions.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited at 02:44 PM.
Heather1957 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 13, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
andynkayj
Imagineer

Sounds perfectly good to me
Caribbean Beach 2017
Port Orleans Riverside again 2020
andynkayj is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 13, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Hi Heather,

I think what Heather is getting at is, we have bans on threads like taking children out of school. Like tipping, threads like that descend into a debate. Ultimately both are created with a view of saving money. I guess it would save moderating time if you banned both.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread