Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Sep 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MickeysGirl
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for all the replies. It's unbelievable how poorly it makes you feel!
MickeysGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I went to the doctor with many similar symptoms last year in March and also had bloods. My vitamin d was low but not prescription low just over the counter supplement low. I’ve taken a tablet a day now for over a year. I noticed the difference within three weeks absolutely it was significant! I also know now if I’ve not taken any for a while like forgetting to take them then holiday. It’s remarkable.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
MickeysGirl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by anna68 View Post
I went to the doctor with many similar symptoms last year in March and also had bloods. My vitamin d was low but not prescription low just over the counter supplement low. I’ve taken a tablet a day now for over a year. I noticed the difference within three weeks absolutely it was significant! I also know now if I’ve not taken any for a while like forgetting to take them then holiday. It’s remarkable.
Can I ask what mg your tablet is? I've got 25mg, was told it was cheaper to buy over the counter than get a prescription! But there was so many options, I went for the middle one! This says 500% daily recommended allowance which seems a lot? The Dr didn't tell me what strength to get and I didn't realise there was so many options!
MickeysGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by MickeysGirl View Post
Can I ask what mg your tablet is? I've got 25mg, was told it was cheaper to buy over the counter than get a prescription! But there was so many options, I went for the middle one! This says 500% daily recommended allowance which seems a lot? The Dr didn't tell me what strength to get and I didn't realise there was so many options!
You need to check the IU ( International Units) of Vitamin D. If you are healthy you need 1,000IU per day. If you are deficient you need 2 - 3,000IU per day to rebuild your stock. It helps if you take calcium as well (this builds strong bones for your old age - my mother had no osteoporosis at all and could walk well until she died age 94. She took Vitamin D and Calcium from the age of 50, as do I)
The RDA is for people who have no deficiency at all, which in the UK would only be people who spend pretty much all day, every day outside with plenty of bare skin
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Thanks for this thread, its an interesting read. I am B12 deficient and have 12-weekly injections. I've never thought about vitamin D. I just checked whats in Berocca and didn't realise it doesn't include vitamin D. I've bought some Vitamin D effervescent tablets to see if they make any difference to me, just in case I'm low and didn't realise!
Old 10 Sep 19, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

I have MS and take 2 x 25mg (1000I.U.) vitamin D per day. Still always tired and also on Vitamin B12 injections.
Old 10 Sep 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i had random issues for years (falling asleep at work being the biggest issue) and despite going to the docs multiple times, nothing was found.

then i moved house, and changed doctors. he took one look at my records, and got me in for bloods. two weeks later it was revealed i had ridiculously low vit D levels. since getting prescribed tablets, it has made a *massive* difference. i was on 2* 800iu tablets a day, but i got some 10000iu micro tabs from the US last time i went, and the last blood test i had for it, my levels were well above normal, so i've now switched back to the 800iu pills, and will probably stick with them until the clocks go back, where i'll take the 10kiu tabs a couple of times a week to boost levels...
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
MickeysGirl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
You need to check the IU ( International Units) of Vitamin D. If you are healthy you need 1,000IU per day. If you are deficient you need 2 - 3,000IU per day to rebuild your stock. It helps if you take calcium as well (this builds strong bones for your old age - my mother had no osteoporosis at all and could walk well until she died age 94. She took Vitamin D and Calcium from the age of 50, as do I)
The RDA is for people who have no deficiency at all, which in the UK would only be people who spend pretty much all day, every day outside with plenty of bare skin
It's 1000IU. Maybe I should take 2 tablets for a while? Or speak to a pharmacist? Going to try and spent 20 minutes in the sun for the last few weeks of it giving vitamin d too.

Will look into the calcium too
Old 10 Sep 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
MickeysGirl
Imagineer

Mobile

Other thing I could do is take the centrum multi vitamin I have which includes 10mg vitamin d but also all my other vitamins etc
Old 10 Sep 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

My hubby had the same problems - extreme tiredness, feeling ill and achey all the time. Doc did blood tests for everything and the only issue was a lack of Vitamin D. The problem is, he spent years working as a theatre technician and was like a vampire - he didn't see daylight for years! So now he is on 1,000 IU capsules in spring, autumn and winter, and in summer I put him on 800 IU capsules, taking him off anything when we go to the USA. He definitely feels better for being on these supplements.