Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Sep 19, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

I often do solo trips and they are good for just pleasing yourself and changing plans as you go. see my trip reports or ask any questions.

I have never found it a problem eating alone I people watch and have met some nice people in WDW.
DLP 2018 - Star Tours - A solo story trip May 2018
ASM 2018 - It's Looking like a lot like a Christmas Wombat- Solo Trip TBC
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 19, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

You will soon realise that everyone is in their own bubble, busy enjoying themselves and not paying the slight attention to all the singles. There will be lots of singles - either like us or people at conventions and just taking a trip to a park.

Same with eating. I have my iPhone with me so while waiting for food I can write up notes, cross items off my shopping list or sort photos etc. If I notice anyone staring over, I raise my glass or coffee mug at them then look away. Or I take my glasses off so I can’t see anyone 😂😂
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

So for similar reasons I've been solo now a few times. The first time felt a little strange heading to the airport but after that initial "what am I doing" it was amazing. It felt cathartic and was a great way to get myself back on track. I think you have to go with the right attitude and you will love it.

First time I stayed at Pop Century with free dining (QS) and really enjoyed it. They then changed the offer so now its mid-range that get free QS from the UK so I tend to do Coronado Springs. I'm flying Monday for my annual solo trip. I tend to do around 10 nights as that way its a good amount of time. This time I'm doing 7 at the parks then a 4 night Disney cruise.

With meals I have done TS alone and find it fine but sometimes servers think you need someone to talk to so end up "chatting" a lot. I find a carrying a book or a map to read gives them the idea that you are busy and steers them away from this.
Old 13 Sep 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Mezza1991
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

2 week solo trip it is then! looking to go end of October if I can find a late deal, ! week of Halloween and then 1 week of Christmas.

What's the weather like then as we have always gone mid/end of September into the fall season.
Mezza1991 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I've done a few solo trips and had lots of fun, and am really looking forward to my next solo trip this year (2 weeks!) for Halloween/Christmas/Wine and Dine half marathon - already have my tickets for MNSSHP and MVMCP (both solo) and my run registrations for the Wine and Dine half marathon weekend!

Generally I really enjoy just wandering around the parks and going on rides. I bring along my iPhone with me and read or browse the Dibb or play some games or message friends/family when I get bored (e.g. on transport or waiting for fireworks or during meal times). It's incredibly relaxing to just be able to do whatever I want to, whenever I want to.

I've also done a number of TS meals and character dining solo, and no issues - servers and characters have generally been great and no awkwardness at all.

(Full disclaimer is that I have a friend who lives there who I meet up with on and off during my solo trips so am not completely solo for the entire trip! But I do spend the vast majority of my time solo on these trips...)
Old 13 Sep 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

Three words:

Single Rider Line

You'll get the hang of it by day 2 and love it.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
lindaj
Imagineer

My DH and myself have been every year for the last 20 years, sadly DH died unexpectedly after a very short illness with stomach cancer, he was only 61. He made me promise to go back to our 'happy place', the following year I went alone, I did the exact holiday we did together, the same hotel at airport, the same villa etc and I just treasured all the memories and I have to admit I really enjoyed it. Everyone was so lovely to me, especially in restaurants and even in Disney and I felt very safe. I went again the following year, just changing the place I stayed, I just had a small condo instead of the 5 bed roomed villa. I haven't been for the last couple of years due to my father being unwell and he sadly passed away last year so I have been busy trying to help my 92 year old mom through her loss. She has told me, in no uncertain terms, that she wants me to go on holiday next year and enjoy myself, so that's what I am planning and I am going back again but this time I will stay in an on site hotel so that it is easier for me to go out in the evenings, (the last twice I have driven but didn't particularly enjoy it so decided not to hire a car this time). I am really looking forward to it. You go and enjoy your time over there, make some lovely memories.
Old 13 Sep 19, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
jue40
VIP Dibber

Hi all
Been loads of times as a family but then last year life changed out of the blue and I found myself single again after 27 years of marriage.

So last October I went on my first solo trip, 7 nights Club level at YC!
I booked the hotel direct with Disney and flights with VA - pretty much what I've always done.
First time I went for a meal I felt a little strange but that very quickly passed, I do like to chat to people!
I missed my children but really enjoyed the freedom of doing what I wanted when I wanted.
Would I go solo again - definitely!
Julie
2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2018 - July/August - Hard Rock & Beach Club/Boardwalk
2013 - July/August - New York, Boston and Orlando
2017 - June - Contemporary 2018 - Solo Yacht Club
2022 Feb & August
2023 Jan
jue40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 19, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
meggy
Imagineer

meggy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mezza1991 View Post
2 week solo trip it is then! looking to go end of October if I can find a late deal, ! week of Halloween and then 1 week of Christmas.

What's the weather like then as we have always gone mid/end of September into the fall season.
good for you! I usually go beginning of November, always had fab weather with cardigan left in wardrobe for most of the holiday . T shirt weather most of the time with poss another layer for evenings,but,be prepared, they can have a cold snap, its happened a couple of times, only usually lasts 24 hours but boy it is cold
meggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 19, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
christoby
Proud to wear my Ears

I have been several times as a non driver. So always book the same Resort which is close to a supermarket restaurants and 45 minutes walk to Disney Springs. The Americans think I'm really strange as I walk everywhere ( taxi to the parks ) they have got cheaper since Uber. Usually eat in my apartment, but love to people watch when out. Met lots of lovely people around the pool. One from Canada is coming to visit me next week. Go for it you'll love it.
christoby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List