Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Sep 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We don't drive and have no interest in beaches or wildlife. Orlando, Clearwater, the Keys etc don't hold any appeal for us (although saying that, I have never been so perhaps I shouldn't judge!) However, we like to go to cities where we can get around easily by public transport, and visit lots of buildings, museums, theatres etc. So if we wanted to do the US but not WDW, we would probably go to NYC, Boston, San Francisco etc.

I am a ride wimp and go on almost no rides in Universal. By contrast, I could spend days in a Disney park without going on any rides at all - just enjoying the shows, the atmosphere and the theming. So for us, the point of an Orlando holiday is basically the Mouse himself.

However, despite being in our 50s with no children, we live in London and rent, so practically all our income goes on rent and necessities. It takes us a good 5 years to save up enough to go to WDW, and we have only managed to go twice. Which is perhaps the reason we haven't gone sour on it.

It's easy to read the Dibb and think that everyone in the UK goes to Orlando every year. Whereas in fact, most people I know have never gone and will never be able to afford to go. (And before you say "they could if they saved hard enough" - no. Most people I know are struggling to stay alive, pay the bills and put food on the table. They don't throw money away on luxuries, but however hard they work, there will never be enough left at the end of the month to save for a holiday. Our closest friends have been out of the UK only once in the last 20 years, and that was because we took them to DLP and shared rooms.)

I'm not qualified to judge whether WDW is the value it once was. But even so - I will get back there one day!

Meanwhile, though, we're saving hard for Japan, budget permitting (which looks as if it will cost about the same!)
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

quote... So if we wanted to do the US but not WDW, we would probably go to NYC, Boston, San Francisco etc.

If we think that Orlando is getting pricey, just you wait until you try and book accommodation in these 3! .. or eat in restaurants...

It makes Orlando seem like Playa de la Americas in Tenereife.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
quote... So if we wanted to do the US but not WDW, we would probably go to NYC, Boston, San Francisco etc.

If we think that Orlando is getting pricey, just you wait until you try and book accommodation in these 3! .. or eat in restaurants...

It makes Orlando seem like Playa de la Americas in Tenereife.
Oh, I know. I've priced up a week in NYC and just couldn't afford it at all! I would love to get back there, we went in 2005 but again, we're priced out now.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

I think it all depends on how often you go.
I went with my parents and sister in 1993 but took me another 14 years to go back and we enjoyed it that much we went the following year also then the house came and the credit crunch/recession so went again in 2011 and got engaged during the fireworks at Epcot then my daughter was born and we got married in 2016 and we also had our 1st family holiday there then this year we had a big 2 story extension build and my son was born 9 weeks ago so we going again in 2023 for my 30th anniversary of my 1st holiday there. Been 7 years between the next holiday may cost me roughly £10000 but look how many rides and attractions have been added since 2017 and planned to open over the next 4 years.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by themeparksandy View Post
I think it all depends on how often you go.
I was going to say this very thing.

I suspect some of those that go every year or every two years are simply getting slightly more bored of Disney every time they visit. The “value” they get from visiting Disney is getting less and less because it’s all mostly the same each time. There are less surprises and less unexplored parts whilst, sure, Disney changes it’s business model to something ‘different’. So if the value reduces whilst the cost is increasing then their perceived “value for money” is reducing at double the rate. Throw in the old feeling that “things aren’t like they used to be” and I can see why some people might want to go elsewhere.

The DIBB doesn’t accurately reflect most Disney holidaymakers. There are a number of DIBBers who visit Florida several times a year - that’s pretty unusual. I remember talking to someone at work about WDW and he was amazed I’d visited Disneyworld 8 times. He said most other people he’d spoken to about WDW had only visited 2 or 3 times. And compared to many folk on here, I’ve not visited that often.

I also think the constant bombardment of info on social media (including the DIBB) doesn’t help. Like with movies and TV shows, people are “spoiled” by stuff they see online, ruining the surprise. I know what Galaxy’s Edge is like and what’s there long before I even get to visit it myself. Some of that initial amazement has been eroded away, again reducing the apparent value.

It’s part of the reason why we decided to wait 4 years before visiting again. We didn’t want WDW to start becoming a little stale.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I was going to say this very thing.

I suspect some of those that go every year or every two years are simply getting slightly more bored of Disney every time they visit. The “value” they get from visiting Disney is getting less and less because it’s all mostly the same each time. There are less surprises and less unexplored parts whilst, sure, Disney changes it’s business model to something ‘different’. So if the value reduces whilst the cost is increasing then their perceived “value for money” is reducing at double the rate. Throw in the old feeling that “things aren’t like they used to be” and I can see why some people might want to go elsewhere.

The DIBB doesn’t accurately reflect most Disney holidaymakers. There are a number of DIBBers who visit Florida several times a year - that’s pretty unusual. I remember talking to someone at work about WDW and he was amazed I’d visited Disneyworld 8 times. He said most other people he’d spoken to about WDW had only visited 2 or 3 times. And compared to many folk on here, I’ve not visited that often.

I also think the constant bombardment of info on social media (including the DIBB) doesn’t help. Like with movies and TV shows, people are “spoiled” by stuff they see online, ruining the surprise. I know what Galaxy’s Edge is like and what’s there long before I even get to visit it myself. Some of that initial amazement has been eroded away, again reducing the apparent value.

It’s part of the reason why we decided to wait 4 years before visiting again. We didn’t want WDW to start becoming a little stale.
Don't forget that the staleness also has something to do with the amount of new things to do though. We found WDW (and orlando in general) stale in 2009 despite not having been for 3 years - largely because there seemed to have been nothing much that had changed for us.

The type of trips you go on can contribute too - we changed our trip style up from budget to higher end and our resort from I-drive to Universal on-site in 2017 and I think that contributed as much to a fresh feel as the time difference did.

In general though I'd agree that familiarity makes things duller. Hence why my upcoming trip will likely be my last for a while. If we even get there - it's booked with Thomas Cook and all other providers Orlando offers are inferior or more expensive.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmojorisin04
Earning More Ears

When we first went in 2007, a 14 day Ultimate ticket was £150 per adult. The exchange rate was 2.0 so $300. At current rates, a 2020 ticket is $560, that's a 7% increase year on year.

Parking was $10 then and is $25 now so that's a 12.5% p.a. increase.

For 5 of us (all adults now ), assuming we visit Disney a maximum of 10 times out of 2 week stay, that equates to £225 a day, which is getting hard to justify.
mrmojorisin04 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
bennyboy0751
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
You may know the Youtube channel, the guy runs a big WDW travel agency and another Disney website.

He says the numbers are way down, including packages- and he would know.

He reckons the prices have just got too high.

He also speculates WDW tends to drop off 6 months pre a recession.

Sounds like hard times could be coming for WDW?

Edit- also just read layoffs are happening, first amongst staff generally, then entertainment cuts also.

Did Disney get too greedy?
yeh Yorkshire a few vloggers have been commenting on this massive raise in annual passes starwars been a big flop according to vloggers and to much building work too you dont pay all that to visit a building site universal rocking it both orlando and california say vloggers
bennyboy0751 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
bennyboy0751
VIP Dibber

i remember those days lol
bennyboy0751 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
bennyboy0751
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mrmojorisin04 View Post
When we first went in 2007, a 14 day Ultimate ticket was £150 per adult. The exchange rate was 2.0 so $300. At current rates, a 2020 ticket is $560, that's a 7% increase year on year.

Parking was $10 then and is $25 now so that's a 12.5% p.a. increase.

For 5 of us (all adults now ), assuming we visit Disney a maximum of 10 times out of 2 week stay, that equates to £225 a day, which is getting hard to justify.
thats why we use uber