Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Sep 19, 04:16 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile First time puppy owner-Food

We will be bringing home our first puppy in 10 days time. I have spent hours reading, researching and asking for advice, but I feel completely out of my depth.

The biggest thing I am struggling with at the moment is food. I don’t know whether to go for wet, dried or a mix of both.

My puppy is a Sproodle. He has been fed on Webbox so far. We have decided that after researching it may not be the best thing for him nutrition wise, so we want to guide him off that.

We can’t afford premium, but we certainly want the best we can afford. I know I need to focus on high protein and am steering away from grain filled products.

Any advice gratefuly received. Our puppy will be 9 weeks old when we get him.
Old 19 Sep 19, 04:51 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Mobile

Please please check out raw feeding. It is by far the healthiest option for dogs. It changed our dogs life. He went from being an itchy thing with bleeding guts to healthier than ever and the vet couldn’t believe the change in him almost straight away.

Whilst it isn’t exactly the cheapest options as our vet said, it will save you a fortune in the long run!
We use jack wolf, it is the perfect balance of meat, organs, bone, vegetables and fruit and oils. He gets so excited when he eats compared to just picking at his precious meals
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 04:51 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Mobile

Also so excited for you! It really is a magical time! X
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 05:03 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dreamadream View Post
Please please check out raw feeding. It is by far the healthiest option for dogs. It changed our dogs life. He went from being an itchy thing with bleeding guts to healthier than ever and the vet couldn’t believe the change in him almost straight away.

Whilst it isn’t exactly the cheapest options as our vet said, it will save you a fortune in the long run!
We use jack wolf, it is the perfect balance of meat, organs, bone, vegetables and fruit and oils. He gets so excited when he eats compared to just picking at his precious meals
Many thanks for this. We have looked at raw food. Whilst it does seem expensive we are not writing it off. My concern was storing it in the freezer,
I only have a small freezer, and then I would need to be super organised at defrosting it on time. But... it is something we are thinking about. Thanks for your post
Old 19 Sep 19, 05:44 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
My dog and cats are fed on royal canin and when i worked for a boxer breeder years ago this is what they would feed their puppies on.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Have a look at Canagan or Eden products, both grain free. Also good reports about Forthglade which is a wet food and grain free. Skinners is also good, the Eden and Canagan are suitable for all life stages. The Forthglade has puppy then adult. Have heard of one called 7 which is also grain free. Exciting times ahead for you, have fun and enjoy your new addition.

Edited at 06:45 AM.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Aw exciting for you! Our dog is a cockapoo and she is sooo fussy when it comes to dog food, I think she’s tried every one available and if she doesn’t like it she will not eat it. She has the one from pets at home now, certainly not fancy or anything but she is 3 and she is absolutely fine on it! When we had her as a puppy we used to give her Lilly’s kitchen. It is a good puppy food! We give our dog a combination of wet and dry food. Try not to over think it - we’ve always had dogs and whatever they’ve been on food wise has never really effected them. I could be wrong for other people- just speaking from experience!
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
My dog and cats are fed on royal canin and when i worked for a boxer breeder years ago this is what they would feed their puppies on.
Our boxer's on it.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dreamadream View Post

Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post
Many thanks for this. We have looked at raw food. Whilst it does seem expensive we are not writing it off. My concern was storing it in the freezer,
I only have a small freezer, and then I would need to be super organised at defrosting it on time. But... it is something we are thinking about. Thanks for your post
Another raw feeding fan here, its been revolutionary for our dogs, after 3 years of switching between dry foods due to regular tummy upsets (and regular vet bills! ). We feed Natural Instinct Working Dog (its almost the same as non-working but no VAT), even though our dogs aren't workers, and you can get that from £2.65 per kg. We use 1kg per day for 3 adult Cocker Spaniels.
Old 19 Sep 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I feed my springer Skinner's field and trial (either salmon and rice or lamb and potato) it's the best food I have fed any of my dogs so far. It tends to be about £22 for 15kg from either Amazon or ocado/fetch. One bag lasts him about 6 weeks.

Above all else avoid many of the highly advertised foods like bakers or pedigree as they are full of e-numbers
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List