Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Nov 17, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
popdriver
Proud to wear my Ears

I wasn't going next year but found this, help me do I book it or go o to Spain on the cheap?

I just cannot decide if I should book this or not, as a family we all agreed no to Florida next year having been for the last two years and want a cheap holiday next year

So as you do, you search the internet and I have found...

August 2018 for 17 nights

Flight - Manchester-Heathrow-Miami
7 seater mini van for 18 days
5 nights in universal Loews Royal Pacific
Flight - Orlando-Gatwick-Manchester

£3800

2 Adults
3 Children

Then i need another villa / hotel for 12 nights
But then villa, £1000, tickets £3000, + spends brings the holiday to £10,000

But then what is a cheap holiday in August

Flights to Spain for 5 =£1,000
Villa for 14nights = £2,000
Hire car =£700

Total £ 3,700 + £2,000 spends £6,000

Or two weeks in a hotel is easy £5,000

All inclusive bumps it to £7,000

So what holiday do you really want and what is the right thing, either way we want a holiday so the way I see it it's £6K for a DIY Spanish holiday v £10K for 17 nights in Florida

It's a no brainier right?

Help needed ...
popdriver is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

What happens to the prices if you drop the Universal hotel and stay in a villa for the duration ? That might be the compromise to bring the costs closer.
Not doing both Disney and Universal is another option. Do one or the other, have some pool days at the villa and a couple of trips to the beach . You might even find you enjoy it more not having to do parks every day to fit it all in.

Edited at 10:27 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
It depends on if you and your family enjoy beach holidays. My lot get bored after a couple of hours on the beach so there is no way we could do a fortnight in Spain. We have a caravan for our non Florida holidays which suits us much better as there is more to do and see.

However, if you think you would enjoy Spain, then £3000 saving is still quite a lot to take into consideration - effectively its your spends for 2019 Florida holiday.
Old 28 Nov 17, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We looked this year at going to Tenerife and couldn’t believe the prices. We managed to find cheap flights to Orlando. The whole holiday cost £6000 including a week in a villa and a weeks cruise.

You could make the Orlando holiday much cheaper than £10000 and still have a great time. To cut costs you could have a villa and just a one night on site stay. On a 2 week holiday I personally would choose Universal or Disney I wouldn’t do both. We only bought the 14 day Seaworld park tickets at £95 each and we were happy with those.
Another suggestion would be a week in Orlando and a week on a Florida beach. Or a cruise. We absolutely loved our cruise and will definitely be doing another. I think the thing with Florida flights is there are so many options for so many different types of holidays.

Good luck choosing !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by popdriver View Post
I just cannot decide if I should book this or not, as a family we all agreed no to Florida next year having been for the last two years and want a cheap holiday next year

So as you do, you search the internet and I have found...

August 2018 for 17 nights

Flight - Manchester-Heathrow-Miami
7 seater mini van for 18 days
5 nights in universal Loews Royal Pacific
Flight - Orlando-Gatwick-Manchester

£3800

2 Adults
3 Children

Then i need another villa / hotel for 12 nights
But then villa, £1000, tickets £3000, + spends brings the holiday to £10,000

But then what is a cheap holiday in August

Flights to Spain for 5 =£1,000
Villa for 14nights = £2,000
Hire car =£700

Total £ 3,700 + £2,000 spends £6,000

Or two weeks in a hotel is easy £5,000

All inclusive bumps it to £7,000

So what holiday do you really want and what is the right thing, either way we want a holiday so the way I see it it's £6K for a DIY Spanish holiday v £10K for 17 nights in Florida

It's a no brainier right?

Help needed ...
Why not go for a shorter time 17 nights if you go for 14 you can get more value for money things like park tickets etc.

Not sure where you are going in Spain but do you need a card for 17 nights in Spain?

A dummy booking 10-27 August on alamo shows the minivan coming in at £1145 alone and RPR basic queen coming in at $2212 (£1664) for 5 nights.

So I would grab these flights for £200 each in August it's a bargain ! You won't get cheaper flights to Spain during the school holidays...

I wonder where you are getting a villa for 12 nights for £1000 ?

We are going in May and the cheapest townhouse near to disney is $100 per night, villas are $150 per night at least so at least $1800 = £1350 perhaps we are looking in the wrong areas.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

We are paying £600 for a week in September for a 4 bedroom Dibb villa near Formosa so very close to Disney . Flights were a smidge over £400 into Fort Lauderdale but my DIL is joining us for a week and her direct flights to Orlando with baggage and seats were £450 adult,£350 child. Not school holidays but an idea of what can be done.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

It depends why as a family you decided no Florida next year. If it was because you all wanted a break from it then I'd go for Spain, if it was purely down to cost then maybe Florida but £10k is a lot. There's only 4 of us (kids are teens so adult prices) but we don't spend anywhere near 10k, but then we've been lucky to bag very cheap flights the last 2 times. I don't think I would want to spend 10k on a just over 2 week holiday.

Edited at 02:24 PM.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
We are paying £600 for a week in September for a 4 bedroom Dibb villa near Formosa so very close to Disney . Flights were a smidge over £400 into Fort Lauderdale but my DIL is joining us for a week and her direct flights to Orlando with baggage and seats were £450 adult,£350 child. Not school holidays but an idea of what can be done.
Which Dibb villa was this duchy I'd love to get it for a week at that price we were looking at windsor hills and have had nowhere near that price for May despite it being out of school holidays...

I was looking on VRBO perhaps that's not the best site. I would use the dibb but you can't put your specific dates in so it's a real trawl.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I've PM'd you jas
Old 28 Nov 17, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tynxuk
Very Serious Dibber

we had our first family (2 adults 3 children ages 8,11 & 12) holiday abroad in May and did 11 days Disney (resort hotel & qsdp), 2 days Universal and last day Kennedy space centre with (Nissan Altima) hire car. It was going to be our once in a life time holiday but on return home we decided we would go back 2019 and try to see the northern lights this Christmas.
Fast forward to the end of October and all prices for Iceland, Norway and Finland seem ridiculous for less than a week self catering (not to mention the high cost of food there) compared to what we paid for 14 days in Florida with qsdp whilst at Disney so I decided to price up for just Disney 2018 whilst free qsdp was still being offered . Less than £2000 for flights from Gatwick and around £3800 for CBR with park tickets & free qsdp for 11 nights (hubby can only get 2 weeks off work at a time so gives time to recover too), hire car the same size we used last time will cost less than £300 so around £6000 all in (we found QSDP more than adequate and used Disney transport to get to parks).
Tynxuk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List