Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 May 22, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Now at the 39 days before travel and while there has been some movement on COVID restrictions in Japan (returning nationals, some students and business travel of just a couple of days are being let in) have been eased, not seeing any signs of when the tourists will be allowed in.

While it is not time to give up hope, I have to starting thinking seriously about cancelling our trip, when to do it and what to do next.

As a reminder, I have a paid ticket on ANA and my partner has a reward booking, got with Virgin Points.

I think I will need to cancel (and pay associated cancellation fee) the flights, as they are still (mostly) operating and in theory could board them and go to Japan, but only to transit to another destination.

I know I can say this here as we are all fans of Disney and Japan, but if I do it I will be so upset, in a way that my partner just does not get. They are more "nothing you can do about it so why get upset?"

During these times I have lost both parents (not due to COVID) and Disney has always been a place I associated with happiness, freedom, escape from whatever been going on in the real world. I am 56 and lucky enough to have visited Disneyworld over 30 times, but I just love my time there.

The cynical 56 year old just reverts to a happier time, I tell the first cast member I see to just have Disney empty my wallet, as I just love me time in that magic bubble. Our trip to Tokyo Disney in 2019 was EVEN better that my US trips in so many ways, so I was REALLY looking forward to our return in 2020, then 2021 and now 2022... that if / when I do cancel, I will be so upset.

Anyway, reflection time over!

I think I need to put on my sensible head, you are due to fly May 10th, give it to then end of April, see how things are, and the decide.

Everything is refundable or cancellable with no charge, bar the flights, well mine. I have to pay ANA something like 150 Euro if I want to cancel.

Thought - could I just move my flight forward to next year (next May is not bookable yet) for no cost I wonder...

But what to do in May?

We had thought of a long weekend in Dubai to go to the Expo, but that closed yesterday - doh!

Had looked at a US trip instead but that was looking silly money for flights, and would in itself, be a big spending holiday once there, which Japan is not luckily

We do have a 1 week trip to Japan booked late October / November - all paid for and got my partner his reward seats again lol. Hope that goes ahead

Cosmic Girl - thanks for being my Friend in the Sky with all things to do with flights, and a shoulder to cry on when needed xxxx
Anthony, I'm so sorry for missing this thread. I admire your patience throughout all this, you've probably spent more time on the phone by now than you'll (eventually) spend in Japan during your trip. And you've learned so much that booking the next one will be a piece of cake. We'll help each other find the seats! Thank you for all your support.

Oh, and I will not rest until you go to DLP. 😛
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 May 22, 07:27 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
Oh, and I will not rest until you go to DLP. 😛
Thank you - but fear your battle to get me to DLP may be a long one
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 22, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Rae21 View Post
Totally get where you’re coming from AntonyJ - I bit the bullet and decided to scrap 2022 and focus on November 2023 when all the new stuff should be open (including the borders... fingers crossed). I’m just going to plan an even bigger holiday and make sure to do Disney, USJ and all the sightseeing stuff in one trip. I’m hoping DS will still want to come he’ll be 22 by then, and he’s said he will but who knows - if not I’ll do a solo trip if I can’t convince my sister to go lol
Still hoping you get to go as you do have a few weeks left and things could change for the better 😊
Meant to ask - your countdown still showing Japan this year, does it need updating or you too going in October / November time?
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 22, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Rae21
Excited about Disney

Hi Antony unfortunately it needs updating 😭 I keep putting it off! Would love it to be this year but I keep seeing more and more things opening next year so think that’s more realistic. I’m still saving up so technically if I can get a bargain this year And everything opens back up (and there’s no testing hoops to jump through) I would still go this November😊
Rae21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List