Notices

Old 1 Apr 22, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Food and Drink

I was really glad to have the week in February to experience what Florida would be like trying to stick to low carb. It went ok with lots of positives and at least now I know what doesn’t work. The other 2 are still eating like they did before on holiday but are pretty happy to go along anywhere that suits me.

Knowing we’d be onsite at Universal again we thought it would be a great idea to bring some of these bad boys home: No expiry date, $150 balance for $120 cost and they can be used at the vast majority of food places in the parks and city walk. I suppose it also means some of our spending money is sorted in advance.

Let’s start with the food offerings at Portofino

Sals

this will be on my list when we are staying here. I really feel that these are the best pizzas on Universal property. Freshly made to order and a pretty good price. We’ve always enjoyed it here. It’s worth a stroll as well if you are not staying here, just over 10 minutes to Portofino from the Universal gate or grab the boat from Citywalk.

I was a bit worried when we went in February about what I would eat as a low carb option but although it doesn’t show on the menu on the universal app they do salads to order as well as having a selection of salads in the fridge.

This was our last meal here. Ds loves mushrooms and Dh hates them with a vengeance so it’s great they can do a half and half option. My salad was massive, really fresh and tasty, no issues holding the croutons and they served it with the dressing on the side. It’s not instant quick service as it’s all fresh, the poor staff were getting a bit of grief from a lady waiting who was shouting at them about how it was supposed to be quick service 😔

Starbucks - always handy to have one in your hotel, I have always loved a wee Starbucks breakfast overlooking the harbour. These days there’s not really any good food choices for me but I’ll settle for a wee almond milk cappuccino with a low carb snack from elsewhere while Ds and Dh enjoy a breakfast sandwich with a mango and dragonfruit refresher.

Bice - I’ve chosen this as our treat meal for the holiday. We’ve tried The Palm before and really enjoyed it but it will be nice to eat at our own resort and the menu looks lovely. There are a couple of good vlogs I’ve watched, the Wdw couple and all ears have reviews.

The fritto misto although not low carb looks good for a sharing starter as does the beef carpaccio.

For mains there’s sea bass, salmon, steak, lamb and a few salads that would all suit me as well as some lovely sounding pasta if that’s what the other 2 fancy, Ds will be eyeing up the seafood pasta, they have linguine with clams which was always my absolute top choice for any Italian holidays.

If anyone has been and has some suggestions I’d love to hear them.

Thirsty Fish - I love the setting. The harbour at night is so beautiful and what could be better than sitting out with a glass of wine and maybe a cheese plate at the end of a park day.

I just watched a video tour of Portofino the other day and realised this bar has an indoor bit as well. Who knew 😂

There are a few other places here but they are not really on my radar as of yet.
Old 2 Apr 22, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Those Universal Food cards are a fab deal! I have heard such great things about Sal’s, good to know there are great low carb options too. Those appetisers/mains at Bice look delicious, I’m off to look at the menu.

Portofino really does have a lot of great food options- I love a Starbucks strawberry açai refresher for breakfast! Really feels like holidays 🤩
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 22, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

This all sounds like a fab holiday

We've never stayed at one of the Universal resorts before and I've always wanted to, it sounds like you've tried them all. I will have to pick your brain when I do eventually get around to staying in one!

I understand your predicament about Disney, we're just doing 4 days there this year and when I read all the reports about the horrifically long queues for rides and quick service places it makes me doubt whether we should be going at all .

I bet you all can't wait to get there now, the summer feels like its ages away. but I'm sure it will be here before we know it. Just need the weather to warm up a bit

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 22, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Those Universal Food cards are a fab deal! I have heard such great things about Sal’s, good to know there are great low carb options too. Those appetisers/mains at Bice look delicious, I’m off to look at the menu.

Portofino really does have a lot of great food options- I love a Starbucks strawberry açai refresher for breakfast! Really feels like holidays 🤩
Absolutely worth a visit to Portofino.

Dh would rather just go to Sals than Bice I think. 😂

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
This all sounds like a fab holiday

We've never stayed at one of the Universal resorts before and I've always wanted to, it sounds like you've tried them all. I will have to pick your brain when I do eventually get around to staying in one!

I understand your predicament about Disney, we're just doing 4 days there this year and when I read all the reports about the horrifically long queues for rides and quick service places it makes me doubt whether we should be going at all .

I bet you all can't wait to get there now, the summer feels like its ages away. but I'm sure it will be here before we know it. Just need the weather to warm up a bit
The universal resorts are great, they all have their own great reasons to stay. Hoping we carry on loving them with our 2 new ones this trip, Dockside and Cabana Bay.

I’m sure you will enjoy your Disney time, you’ve got so many people travelling with you that are keen to do it.

Your holiday plans and wedding plans sound amazing. And the house you’ve rented looks stunning, like something out of selling sunset 🌅 but at the beach.
Old 6 Apr 22, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Update

Upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite pool view at Dockside with an annual pass holder rate for an extra $20 a night.

Could have got Aventura for a $10 increase but I think the extra space for Ds will good, or we could have stuck with what we’d booked and saved $16 a night.
Old 6 Apr 22, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

Sounds like a good deal and your ds will appreciate his own space for sure. Hope you like dockside I have booked it for my next trip, never been before but the videos look good. Have a great stay.
Old 7 Apr 22, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Orlando Soon View Post
Sounds like a good deal and your ds will appreciate his own space for sure. Hope you like dockside I have booked it for my next trip, never been before but the videos look good. Have a great stay.
It looks really nice. I’m really eager to try staying there.

I’ll definitely report back how we found it.

Have you watched the Cheers Ears vlogs from their trip in December, they stayed there for a week and loved it?
Old 7 Apr 22, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Update

Upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite pool view at Dockside with an annual pass holder rate for an extra $20 a night.

Could have got Aventura for a $10 increase but I think the extra space for Ds will good, or we could have stuck with what we’d booked and saved $16 a night.
What a great deal, I think you will really appreciate the extra space. The Cheers Ears family seemed to really love their stay there and the food court had loads of choice too.
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 22, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
What a great deal, I think you will really appreciate the extra space. The Cheers Ears family seemed to really love their stay there and the food court had loads of choice too.
Looking forward to it. Certainly will be nice to try somewhere different and I think we are doing them in the right order. Dockside - cabana Bay - Portofino. I hope anyway 😂
Old 10 Apr 22, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Food in Universal studios

Table service

Lombards will be top of our list for in park dining. If you’ve never been I’d absolutely recommend it. I don’t think we’ve ever had a bad meal here.

Top choice for me and Ds is the blackened salmon Caesar salad, so much so that this has been a staple on our at home menu. $20 so not that much more than a chaotic quick service.

This trip I had the seafood cioppino which was gorgeous, a little bit spicy and packed with fish and seafood and great for me avoiding carbs.

Dh always goes for the fish and chips or the fisherman’s basket. I’ve never really been a fan of the slightly thicker batter in America but Dh loves it and Ds really liked the fish snd chips, I preferred the Fisherman’s basket. Again the fish and chips is $19. Happy to pay that tiny premium for a calm air conditioned good service experience.

For years we have always stuck with the strawberry milkshake or the non alcoholic pina colada. Noticed this trip that they are smaller than they used to be.

The tuna poke starter seems to get a lot of good reviews so that might be another potential choice for me or a starter to share, I think Ds would really like this too.

Finnegans

This seems to get a lot of love especially from the annual pass holders and we were eager to try it in February. Our planning was a bit off though and we ended up with a late lunch at Sals snd an early dinner here so I don’t think we were actually hungry enough.

I had the pistachio crusted salmon salad which was nice, I’d have it again. I really wanted the Reuben but that was before my diabetes diagnosis, I’m not sure I’d appreciate fully if I tried to make it low carb. The chicken sandwich would work well on a lettuce wrap though I think.

Dh had fish and chips but Ds was in a teen mood and adamant he didn’t want anything but relented and ordered the chicken stingers as he said the menu was rubbish ( lack of reading). He didn’t enjoy his meal.

I’m eager to give it another go and after reviewing the menu at my insistence it’s on the list and he’s even listed a few different possibilities. Loaded fries, web burger or fish and chips.

Snacks

The snacks at universal Crepes - Ds and Dh are keen to return here for snacks. They went fit the Strawberry and Nutella.

Bumble bee Tacos - so this gets lots of love, there was always a big line when we were there in February.

Anyone been?
I’m wondering if there’s enough filling that I could just have these without the wraps or if I can get some low carb tortillas in Walmart I could swap them over.

Monsters cafe - a first for us in February, the brisket and the cauliflower were really good. Pretty good to find a low carb quick service with no adjustments needed.
Thought Ds and Dh might enjoy the Mac and cheese with pulled pork here, anyone tried it?

Today cafe is another place I’d like to try but there’s not a lot of inside seating and it was too warm and busy on the day we thought about going in Feb. Might just need to go as an early option. The Soho salad or Chinatown salad are what I am fancying but the sandwiches and cakes look great for the other 2. Plus they do a cheese board.

Soho salad - SOHO – $12.49Roasted cauliflower, brussels sprouts, arugula, farro, avocado, prosciutto, lemon vinaigrette

Chinatown Chicken Salad – $12.49Baby arugula, napa cabbage, radicchio, shiitake mushrooms, daikon sprouts, wasabi cashews, soy peanut vinaigrette

The Mardi Gras food booths are a great addition to the park. It would be fantastic if there were better snack options here on a permanent basis.

Anyone got any food favs at Universal Studios that I’ve not considered?