Old 13 Apr 22, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Meniscus
Excited about Disney

Meniscus's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A change to the cast...

The Background Story

So we have been to Orlando on 5 previous occasions and we have had some very memorable moments.

Our first trip was at the end of August/early September 2001. Our children were 4yrs (DS) and 4 months (DD). We were having a magical time on what we had planned to be our once in a lifetime trip. As you have probably worked out, we were there during 9/11. We were due to fly back home on the 13th IIRC, but were delayed for a couple of days. The Floridians were amazing, our travel agent extended our hotel stay free of charge and we were given food vouchers; and despite the tragedy that was happening in New York we were always made to feel welcome. We were on the first flight back to Birmingham which was pretty scary.

Fast forward to 2009 and the magic called us back! This time we had a really amazing time as both of the kids were old enough to know what was happening. We were spending a lot more time in the waterparks right up until I had an accident in Blizzard Beach where I came off my tube on a slide and banged my head. Lots of blood and I had to be pulled out of the splash pool by a young female lifeguard half of my size, God only knows how she managed it! Thankfully I wasn't too badly hurt and we were able to enjoy the rest of the trip. I still have the scar.

2011 was our long-awaited wedding and then honeymoon in Orlando. It was super, we loved Disney, Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens, and did Discovery Cove on my wife's birthday. It really was a perfect honeymoon.

2013 we went to celebrate DS finishing his GCSEs and it was the least eventful - apart from the kids arguing every 5 minutes I can't really remember it!

We then had a bit of a break from Disney until 2019. We'd had a full-on year, work had become really stressful for both of us to the point where we both were becoming unwell. We'd got into running and had completed the London Marathon in April plus a number of halfs and other events. The kids were both adults by now so DW and I decided to go without them - they understood but were not happy! We returned home relaxed, happy and ready to get back to it. And then in the October we had the HUGE news that we were having another baby - in 5 weeks time! (Yes DW had run the marathon whilst unknowingly pregnant!)

And that is where the trip name comes from because it will be the 3 of us going this time!

The (Revised) Cast

ME! 44yrs old now, the planner, banker, chauffeur, love Pluto, ALL the rides and the waterparks (I hold tighter to the tubes now though!)

DW, will have her 44th birthday while we are there - planning to book Ohana for that. Previously she has celebrated at V&A, BOG and other places I cannot remember! She loves Tinkerbell, the Christmas shops, rollercoasters, and the lazy river - never goes on the slides. Will buy ears and probably not wear them.

DD (2), just getting into Disney movies and knows most of the characters. She likes Frozen (Obviously) and we are trying to watch a Disney movie with her every Sunday afternoon. No idea what she will make of it but she is really good and is excited about the swimming pool at the villa! She has a dairy allergy, which was one of the main reasons we opted for Disney because of how clear the allergy menus are.

The Plan

We were going to wait until DD was 5 or 6, but the last 2 years have taught us to make the most of life while you still can. As we are both now teachers we have to go in school holidays (boo the extra cost). We have booked Sofitel at Gatwick for the night before we fly. We also have Meet and Greet Parking and Premium Security.

Flights are with BA, not flown with them before but have no loyalty to any particular airline. Gatwick to Tampa, not flown into there previously so hoping that it might be a bit quieter than MCO and we might get through security a bit quicker - I can hope, right? Booked the flights on the day of release as a holiday including the Sofitel and our car hire and we were pleased with the price. Was planning on trying to upgrade them to PE but gave up calling BA. Might try again closer to the time, if not will try to get the bulkhead seats at check-in. The car is a full size from Avis - Toyota Camry or similar, and I have registered for preferred so we can go straight to the garage.

We have booked a 4 bed/3 bath villa in High Grove through Debbies Villas - couldn't find a DIBB villa that suited us. It is way too big for the 3 of us, but it worked out cheaper than a decent hotel and we love being able to have downtime with DD in the pool and spa. Not stayed in this area before, so looking forward to it.

We are only doing Disney and have Genie+ included for all 14 nights. No idea if we will need it or not, but as it is summer I didn't like the idea of queuing all day with a toddler in the sun. Don't agree with it, but it is what it is. I have done all of the park reservations, we have 3 or 4 days in each park and are starting and finishing with MK as has become a tradition for us. We have targeted 3 or 4 key rides we want to do in each park and I think we will stack the rides for the evenings and use the mornings for long breakfasts, kiddie rides and waterparks. Really want to avoid ILL if possible, but might shell out for RotR if I cannot get a decent walk on. I imagine GotG will be boarding groups and ILL, so may have to shell out for that too . As DD has not seen proper fireworks before, we are planning to watch the first lot from the Poly beach.

I want to do a bit more resort hopping than we have previously, in part because I am seriously considering DVC. Planning on eating at Ohana, Wilderness Cafe, Olivia's, Sebastian's and a few other on-site places. Off-site we will have a look down the 192, got to find a good steak place and somewhere that does wings!

Still to do

Not much! ESTAs, ADRs and that's about it!

So that's the plan, do let me know what you think. Our trips have been so much better because of the tips and knowledge gained from fellow DIBBERs, so I am all ears!

PS - We already have a rough plan for the trip following this one which will be in late summer 2024 and will be to celebrate DD (the big one) completing her Nursing degree so we will take all 3 kids and their partners. I will enjoy planning that one!
Meniscus is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Meniscus
Excited about Disney

Meniscus's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another change to the cast!

Okay, so a fairly big update over the past couple of weeks.

Long story short but we had planned to take our 2 now adult children with us again in a couple of years but things change! Without going into the finer details they are both going through some difficult times right now and need a pick up. Couple this with a feeling that we want our little one to experience Disney with her brother and sister as well as us and there was only one thing for it - we’re all going!

So the trip for 3 has now become 5! I’ve booked the extra flights at an extortionate price of around £1300 each for hand luggage only and no seats selected. Could have got them cheaper if they’d flown on different days or a different route but we want to be on the same flight so that was that.

Biggest problem is getting from Tampa to the villa. We have a full size car booked with BA and are going to try to cram in, even if it’s a bit uncomfortable. If we can’t I’ll put the big 2 in an Uber and think it’ll be around $100 each way. Can think of better ways to spend this!

Thankfully we already had a 4 bed villa booked so no changes needed there.

Disney tickets bought, but ours have Genie+ and they will get them on the day if needed. I’ve added them to MDE and done the park reservations so we’re all the same.

Had some ADRs booked and am trying to change these to tables of 5 but not having any luck. If we have to cancel them all then so be it. There’s plenty of places to eat after all.

ESTAS done last night. Need to sort their insurance still.

All in I think it will add an extra 4k to the cost but they both need it and they never stop being your children, no matter how old they are. They both had a little cry when we told them.

Plus it means we’ll have some great memories of our youngests first trip with us all there and I don’t think you can put a price on that!
Meniscus is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Sounds like a really special family trip and not long now! Have a wonderful time
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
Okay, so a fairly big update over the past couple of weeks.

Long story short but we had planned to take our 2 now adult children with us again in a couple of years but things change! Without going into the finer details they are both going through some difficult times right now and need a pick up. Couple this with a feeling that we want our little one to experience Disney with her brother and sister as well as us and there was only one thing for it - we’re all going!

So the trip for 3 has now become 5! I’ve booked the extra flights at an extortionate price of around £1300 each for hand luggage only and no seats selected. Could have got them cheaper if they’d flown on different days or a different route but we want to be on the same flight so that was that.

Biggest problem is getting from Tampa to the villa. We have a full size car booked with BA and are going to try to cram in, even if it’s a bit uncomfortable. If we can’t I’ll put the big 2 in an Uber and think it’ll be around $100 each way. Can think of better ways to spend this!

Thankfully we already had a 4 bed villa booked so no changes needed there.

Disney tickets bought, but ours have Genie+ and they will get them on the day if needed. I’ve added them to MDE and done the park reservations so we’re all the same.

Had some ADRs booked and am trying to change these to tables of 5 but not having any luck. If we have to cancel them all then so be it. There’s plenty of places to eat after all.

ESTAS done last night. Need to sort their insurance still.

All in I think it will add an extra 4k to the cost but they both need it and they never stop being your children, no matter how old they are. They both had a little cry when we told them.

Plus it means we’ll have some great memories of our youngests first trip with us all there and I don’t think you can put a price on that!
Sounds like a wonderful plan
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

How lovely! I can imagine how made up your eldest ones were 😊 will be reading with interest in regards to your youngest in Disney as we had another last year (our DD is 10) so he will only be 21 months when we go next August - hey, he's free, that's what I keep telling myself 😂 enjoy your last month's countdown!
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List