Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 19 Apr 22, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Yes thinking the same.

I don’t intend to offload at the moment. We are using at California and Vero this year. May do HHI next. Fancy Hawaii at some point.

I did also buy thinking its much cheaper than a villa and when I retire (albeit 8 years away yet) I thought we’d go to Saratoga for resort only stays for a month in Winter.

If it was just WDW linked I’d be selling. I’m hoping my enthusiasm for WDW comes back but we were so disappointed with the parks at Xmas.
YT. You know my views on how the Parks have gone and sad to say I can't see any changes in the short term

But bearing mind how much we paid for our Points back in 2003 it's a very cheap way of getting good accommodation in a nice area. But, not being in love with the Parks and paying the current direct prices would be madness.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 22, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We haven’t been to a Disney park for many years… use our DVC for a good standard of accommodation an always book a 1 bedroom and choose 2 resorts for a split stay… granted we are a young 60/61 year olds… and will be doing US//IOA this trip and next thanks to the 15 months for 12 months deal for AP…
My “kids” are 30 & 33 years old and we have been going to Florida since 1992 every year with many times going twice a year… seen huge change’s over the years but still enjoy weather..People.. Accommodations… Restaurants.. Malls and driving to both coasts and off the beaten tracks
Our OKW runs out in 2042 so we will be 81/82 so no worries when it runs out as bought resale many years ago at $50 a point around £7000 at the time… so got my $$$$ worth
Love to hop on boat to Disney Springs for drinks and food and street entertainment and shops and people watch 😂 so Disney is in a little bit of trouble as most Americans I speak to and it’s quite a few who we’ve met on Cruises and in DVC that American Families can’t justify the cost now and look at alternative places then include a very short visit to Disney/Orlando
Instead of a massive Family Holiday in Grand Villa’s etc etc

Edited at 08:54 AM.
kevbrydon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 22, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We had this discussion the other night, we could quite happily go back to being offsite but the cost of 3 weeks offsite is the same or just slightly more than our Annual Dues so Catch 22. Generally as others have mentioned, I can see us moving to less park time, £450 each for what is effectively 5-6 park days isn't good value, Ds & DGF are only now starting to look at ticket prices (kids! ) even though I warned them way before Xmas & their current solution is a 4 day Base & 2 Day Universal single park- worked out around 630Euros (he lives in the Netherlands) but that's quite a big saving on 2 lots of 14 day tickets.
I never want to sound too negative when new or potential owners come on but I really don't see the incentives for a such a big investment & let's face it, it's nowhere near the "special club" they would have you believe you are joining!
We've said that we will look at things after this trip.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 06:15 AM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just been reading that the DVC resale market is now flooded with contracts, almost 2000- 9x (roughly) available contracts compared to times last year.

I think many DVC owners have had enough of the nickel and diming and Genie+ etc.

Disney is driving it’s biggest fans away- sad.
Does this mean it's a good time to buy
2016 Boardwalk Villas
2015 Pop Century
2014 Old Key West
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 07:00 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
With the exchange rate alone I would say definitely not.

Then adding in the decline in quality and services, and the increase in costs, I would be running in the opposite direction if I was looking right now.

I love Disney and would be very reluctant to sell, mainly in the blind hope that things will get better again, but right now the only thing keeping me from selling is that in a few years we do want one more big trip to Aulani.

WDW is losing its shine everyday for me right now sadly - it wouldn’t be so bad, but in all my recent dealings with customer services they no longer seem to care 😢
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
Depends on how low the price drops!

I agree with everything Amy says, I wouldn’t be rushing to buy at the moment.
Old 17 May 22, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
KymmieAKiss
Apprentice Imagineer

KymmieAKiss's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Just been reading that the DVC resale market is now flooded with contracts, almost 2000- 9x (roughly) available contracts compared to times last year.

I think many DVC owners have had enough of the nickel and diming and Genie+ etc.

Disney is driving it’s biggest fans away- sad.
I literally purchased DVC just before the pandemic hit
And tbh i have been thinking of selling for a while.
I wont atm because like you said alot of people are selling.

But i have kind of lost the magic a little. Its such EFFORT to book a DVC holiday.. I actually find it more stressful

DVC member since Sept '18
Youtube - Kymmieakiss
KymmieAKiss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
mental4ever
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
YT. You know my views on how the Parks have gone and sad to say I can't see any changes in the short term

But bearing mind how much we paid for our Points back in 2003 it's a very cheap way of getting good accommodation in a nice area. But, not being in love with the Parks and paying the current direct prices would be madness.
I agree with what you said even though we have only held our DVC points since 2013.
We bought just as we retired and had just used other family members points for a holiday. Our daughter was looking to get married and wanted to go to WDW for her Honeymoon in 2015. When I looked at the cost of two rooms for three weeks i was soo glad we bought into DVC as we paid less for the points and two years fees.
Since Mr Paycheck came to power we will now either look at our DVC room as a base and travel around or rent/transfer points and go elsewhere for our holidays.
Universal Aug/Sept 2023.
BWV & Universal Feb & May 2024. BWV Jan 2025.
mental4ever is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 22, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Highest inflation in decades. A lot of uncertainty . An almost nailed on recession in the USA within the next 12-18 months.
This really is no shock.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Apparently prices are holding level despite lots of contracts on the market. This seems partly down to Disney aggressively buying back contracts- see here- dvcnews/dvc-program/fina...remains-strong

I am surprised at how many they are buying back, seems a huge percentage, particularly of the 2042 expiring resorts. With a recession looming you must think there is some risk in them doing this? Wonder why they are so keen on the 2042 resorts? Another plan to extend the contracts maybe? I know they want to convert more OKW to extended but not sure about the others.

SSR and AKV prices are still going up and also Disney willing to pay more for those. I bought an SSR in 2016 at half current prices. That’s some inflation in just over 5 years. DVD are paying up to $154 for SSR on ROFR!

For many resorts DVD are buying twice as many on ROFR as they are selling direct. Seems weird to me, but it must be for a reason. Maybe anticipating a lot of cash demand and they can ‘sell’ the points to cash bookers, then sell the contracts later? Or maybe the rumoured Skyliner expansion will be announced later this year, causing SSR and AKV to increase in demand if they put it to both? Pure speculation of course.

When you look at the numbers it’s tempting to sell as I’d clear circa $45k now on these after all fees and bank a profit of around $20k with the exchange rate working in my favour to convert back, but I’m not going to sell yet.

Edited at 07:24 AM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List