Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 24 May 22, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
IANF
Very Serious Dibber

Best way to pay for DVC Direct from Disney

Morning all,

So after having 2 x 300 point contracts at SSR ROFD’d by the mouse over the last few months we’ve decided to bite the bullet and purchase 180 points Direct at VGF2, we have spoken to a DVC rep who is calling us this week to chat.
Can anybody advise on the best (and cheapest) way to Pay?
I saw on a Previous thread that XE Money was recommended, as we Re paybig the majority from a debit account plus an amount on a credit card would this be possible and is there a charge?
Seen a few posters recommended applying for an Amex card to get the air miles but again not sure how that works, seems to be lots of different cards with different charges plus the total amount would be just shy of 30k so not sure how that works with c/c limits.
Any/all advice greatly appreciated as we are looking to move ahead as quickly as possible.
WILDERNESS LODGE 2009
CORONADO SPRINGS 2014
IANF is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We did a 250 point add on direct 4 years ago & paid through Amex at the recommendation of the rep.

A Dibber sent DH a recommendation (I’d be happy to send you one as we’d both benefit - pm me if you choose this route), which gave them both bonus miles, DH then recommended me - more bonus miles.

Paid for the contracts (just paid a chunk, cleared it then rang back to pay the rest - rep was fine with it) & ended up with enough miles for 2 UC return flights - well worth the transaction fees!

I’ve been collecting air miles ever since!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

Edited at 12:41 PM.
PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
A long time ago for us but we bought from the UK and put the deposit which was about $1500 on a foreign fee free credit card.
Then once the documents arrived we did the rest via a money transfer.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
IANF
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
We did a 250 point add on direct 4 years ago & paid through Amex at the recommendation of the rep.

A Dibber sent DH a recommendation (I’d be happy to send you one as we’d both benefit - pm me if you choose this route), which gave them both bonus miles, DH then recommended me - more bonus miles.

Paid for the contracts (just paid a chunk, cleared it then rang back to pay the rest - rep was fine with it) & ended up with enough miles for 2 UC return flights - well worth the transaction fees!

I’ve been collecting air miles ever since!
We do have a friend who has sent us the refferal link but thank you anyway 😍
WILDERNESS LODGE 2009
CORONADO SPRINGS 2014
IANF is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by IANF View Post
We do have a friend who has sent us the refferal link but thank you anyway 😍
Brilliant, assuming you’re a couple do recommend your OH, twice as many bonus miles & you can just pay off the cards & cut them up afterwards, nothing to lose. Putting 1/2 the DVC payment through each card should be enough spend to get you both the bonus. 😊

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Foreign exchange free card if you have the credit can be a good idea. A Halifax card etc. What you save on foreign exchange fees is likely to be good, or cashBack. AMEX charge a 2.99% foreign exchange fee. That could be a lot of money depending on how much you are spending ( I think you would be spending $37000 so it would be about $1100). You can get a Halifax or JaJa and get the proper exchange rate with no fees. Depends if you want points or the cash in pocket - I accept points ‘could’ be worth more if you can ever use them.

Also it’s unlikely you would get a new credit card with $37000 credit on it immediately so you may have to spread it across cards or pay some cash via XE.

XE is good for resale when you can’t pay the main balance with credit card or in your case part funding a direct Purchase if it cannot all go on a suitable card.

Edited at 05:52 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 22, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
IANF
Very Serious Dibber

Many thanks for your replies everyone, I think our 2 options are to either use XE or money transfer for the bulk and then an existing C/C for the remainder (4k) or try for an Amex card, I may call Amex tomorrow and see what can be offered, the Platinum says it gives 60,000 poonts for the first 6k spent in the first month but not sure what credit lomit I wiuld get at Yorkshire said!
WILDERNESS LODGE 2009
CORONADO SPRINGS 2014
Old 24 May 22, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
IANF
Very Serious Dibber

If we can get the points in by the end of the week we were hoping to maybe book 10-12 nights in a studio in September sometime, is that wishful thinking on my part?
We were thinking maybe 3 nights SSR then a week AKL then 2 nights VGF, I read the there was still a fair bit of availibility at VGF where the new rooms had been released?
WILDERNESS LODGE 2009
CORONADO SPRINGS 2014
Old 25 May 22, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by IANF View Post
If we can get the points in by the end of the week we were hoping to maybe book 10-12 nights in a studio in September sometime, is that wishful thinking on my part?
We were thinking maybe 3 nights SSR then a week AKL then 2 nights VGF, I read the there was still a fair bit of availibility at VGF where the new rooms had been released?
There’s currently better availability at VGF studios (these new hotel type rooms) than anywhere else on property ! There’s patchy studio availability elsewhere for September but if you have the points next few days you’ll be able to piece together a good trip. SSR has studios more towards the beginning of September.
Old 26 May 22, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
IANF
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
There’s currently better availability at VGF studios (these new hotel type rooms) than anywhere else on property ! There’s patchy studio availability elsewhere for September but if you have the points next few days you’ll be able to piece together a good trip. SSR has studios more towards the beginning of September.
Many thanks Yorkshire, we were looking (if possibe) around early September but any dates from late August through late October are ok for us, early September would be ideal!
WILDERNESS LODGE 2009
CORONADO SPRINGS 2014