Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 12 Jun 22, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Louck
Apprentice Imagineer

Renting DVC for the first time

We have decided to go back for a week October 2023 and looking to rent DVC points for 5 nights at GF.

I’ve looked through a couple of threads which have been helpful but given the risk involved, for both parties, what questions should I be asking a DVC renter?

Is there anything I should be mindful of or look out for both good or bad?
Louck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Pep
Imagineer

Ive rented a few times through rental companies and a few times privately and its gone well each time.You could ask for references and if it's someone who's a dib member you could look at how long they been a member and at all their previous posts they probably rented to other dibbers.
If you pay via PayPal that's a good way of paying securely. They all had a rental agreement to sign so that's another thing you need to get from them. I paid up when they sent me the confirmation number to link the reservation to MDE so there's always got to be a bit of trust both ways

Edited at 03:31 PM.
Pep is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

If you rent via Davids, or Jason on here you will be fine.

If you rent off someone privately (likely cheaper) then if you can’t get a well known Dibber and have to go USA route, make sure:

1. You only pay PayPal albeit it doesn’t really protect against timeshare rentals the scammers often say they want paying some other method, even Apple Pay as they have been shut down by PayPal. Never send bank transfer or use some obtuse payment method or indeed even Apple Pay. Walk away if you get any of that nonsense.
2. Ask if they have any references from previous renters.
3. Ask for a written contract that should have their name and address on it. Then Google them, look on Streetview etc. USA has quite open records of who lives where (for example, you can quite easily find Rishi Sunak’s address if you know his wife’s name, or David Moyes’ address in Naples as they are on US public records). No record found anywhere, be sceptical.
4. Once you have their name you can search deeds on the Orange County comptroller website. Just Google it. Their DVC deed has to be on there and you can check.
5. Never hand over money until it’s booked and you have a reservation number which you have linked with MDE. Assuming you are not booking short notice, the owner can always cancel unless they are having to borrow points so I have had no issue booking, giving my renter the reservation number, and they link to MDE before being paid as if they don’t pay me, I’ll simply cancel it.

If you follow all due diligence as suggested you are much less likely to fall victim to one of the thankfully very rare scams.

Edited at 07:04 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 22, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Louck
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you both, very helpful
Louck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List