Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jun 22, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by shack69 View Post
When I read Go roam it says there is a daily charge of £5 for the US. Am I reading this wrong ?
Their pages are misleading, the SIM page says:

Use your Data Pack allowance to call and text back to the UK, and get online, in over 70 destinations at no extra cost. Up to 12GB

which suggests nothing additional, but then the Go Roam page says:

To unlock your UK allowance in Go Roam in Europe, there’s a £2 daily roaming charge. When you Go Roam Around the World, it’s £5.* The daily roaming charge is triggered as soon as you use any of your plan's allowances in a Go Roam destination and lasts for 24 hours. If you’re on Pay As You Go, or your Pay Monthly plan started before 1 October 2021, these charges won’t apply.

toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 22, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Senseicads
Earning More Ears

So as per the bottom. If you’re on payg or an older contract the charges don’t apply.
Senseicads is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBerry
Trying for More Ears

Whilst this is true I’m on 3 with a contract that expired in May, one month later they’ve given me 30 days notice to move, so I think 3 will only work if you’re still in your contract period at least in my experience anyway.

They have offered me a fair deal to stay but obviously not including roaming, so I think I’m going down the T Mobile e sim route which I feel will work better for us as sometimes on roaming we come across the GDPR issue with certain sites and we’ll have a number to supply for wait lists etc
DisneyBerry is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
MrPenguin
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by amicipat View Post
Slightly off topic but can someone put me straight please

Sister and I have an iPhone each on different contract one O2 one Sky.

We will have plenty of rolled over data by the time we go but my problems are with making calls!

1. Once in USA what do we dial to speak to each other, and are we both charged?

2. If calling. US number do we still dial the international code?

3. To dial back to UK do we still need to use the UK CODE.
?.

I get so confused out there, would e sim be better?
1. You just call your normal numbers.

2. Yes, you’ll still need to use international dialling code.

3. Not 100% sure on this one.

Your rolled over data won’t be free to use over there. It will cost a fortune.

You’ll need an 02 travel bolt on at £6 a day - o2/shop/internatio...g-phone-abroad
MrPenguin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

A bit of personal experience having just returned which I hope helps.

I have a 3 Pay monthly SIM which while I was away still included Roam around the world for free. Never had a problem with it in the USA until this time. Was unable to make calls at all for about 4 days and spent hours doing on line chats with Three to get problem sorted, tried about 5 different networks before we could get one that worked but had to downgrade to using a 3G.

Eventually got 3 working, and it was fine, but they kept ringing me in the early hours of the morning to check it was now resolved (not making any allowance for the time difference despite knowing where I was).

Had also taken my late husbands newish TCL phone with me with intention of buying a local SIM at Walmart so could make local calls as well. Walmart had sold out of these SIMS and T Mobile shops said the temporary SIMS they do were not compatible with his phone.

So ended up really struggling.

Now back home and Three have written saying my contract has expired and only offering me SIM's without Free Roaming included will have to pay £5 a day in future.

So I need to find a solution that will work. Due to being disabled and travelling alone it is essential that I have phone deals that work reliably.

Ideally I want to use a sim in future that will still include free roaming at home most months I barely use 1gb of data but do tend to use most of my 12gb when I am away. I have spoken to most of the main networks in the UK and they all want upwards of £28 a month for a PAYG package that will still include roaming (currently only paying £11). But was advised by one of the shops to get a low cost PAYG sim for now with about 2gb, as they believe so many people are complaining about the Roaming that some new deals will come out in a few months time. Hope this is true.

I also want to be able to make local calls in the US without paying £1.40 a minute using my UK package. No idea how to solve that one, but can't leave it to chance of getting a SIM on arrival again if they sell out.

Any advice please - by the way I struggle to see and am not good with technology generally, but since everything is now APP based I have to get this sorted to be able to book taxis, use DAS etc.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloudberry07
Trying for More Ears

The daily roaming charge is triggered as soon as you use any of your plan's allowances in a Go Roam destination and lasts for 24 hours. If you’re on Pay As You Go, or your Pay Monthly plan started before 1 October 2021, these charges won’t apply.

Ive just ordered the free SIM from 3 - and presume the £5 wont apply as it will be a one off PAYG as someone else has mentioned? Just want to really make sure before I take any of the Data packs out. I know you can only get to use 12GB - hopefully that will be enough for 16 days!
Cloudberry07 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

I'd recommend taking a look at Truphone or Airalo e-sims. Apps available to manage them from the app store on apple phones. I've used both and they work very well and are very cheap.

You can have both the e-sim line and your UK line active but just use the data off the e-sim (so you can still receive calls if need be).

$4.50 is the cheapest airalo package and if someone refers you then you get a few dollars credit towards it.

For $11 you can have 3GB for 30 days.

Truphone will give you a free trial (just download the app). For US data they have a 5GB 30 day plan for £13 or 10GB for £19.

With both truphone and airalo you can use for hotspotting so turn your single phone into a hotspot for the whole family (just watch the battery if doing that as it'll burn down quick).

If you really also need a US phone number (you dont get one with the e-sim data only plans) then I'd recommend taking a look at text+ (app available on the appstore). Watch a couple of adds and you can have a free US phone number to make and receive calls on and also to send text messages on, this all works over wifi or a data plan.

I've found it useful for when I need a US number (like ordering off Amazon Prime US).
swintonowl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamx
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Orlando Soon View Post
You can I did the exact same thing. Then yesterday loaded it with £10, ready for my trip next week
So I can order a free sim from 3 and then how do I add the data pack? Through an app or website?
DisneyDreamx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Mpet
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DisneyDreamx View Post
So I can order a free sim from 3 and then how do I add the data pack? Through an app or website?
You can top up here and buy a data pack - you don’t even have to register - just us the mobile number
new.three/account/anon...Type=Anonymous
Mpet is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 22, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamx
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mpet View Post
You can top up here and buy a data pack - you don’t even have to register - just us the mobile number
new.three/account/anon...Type=Anonymous
That’s great, thank you 😊
DisneyDreamx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List