Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 17 Jun 22, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
David's are based in Canada, not the US. The US brokers pay tax in America on your behalf and you have to then claim it back as you do not need to pay it. Often this is far more hassle than it's worth for the small amount. Either way, you are responsible for reporting the income made in the UK and paying the tax on it, but using a US company would result in paying tax twice.
If you can prove you have paid tax in one country then you do not need to pay it in the other, the UK and USA have tax agreements in place. I have a few shares in my old employer based in USA, and as the dividend is taxed at source there I do not need to declare it as taxable income here.
Old 17 Jun 22, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

Yes, you can claim them as an allowable deduction.

community.hmrc.gov.uk/custom...e-00155d9c9e54
Noodlez is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 22, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Point I don’t know. You can apparently rent for £1000 each tax free. I think that’s it, I don’t think you can knock the dues off that but could be wrong.
You can deduct the dues from your taxable income from renting though.
Old 18 Jun 22, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Yes, heard this on a recent pod cast, very interesting for us for next year as we may do Universal again whilst we have the 15 month pass.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 22, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Not quite as straight forward as it seems, I asked for a quote for a cruise and got this back...

"Our names are Lucy Riggs and Kate Guthmiller and we are thrilled to help you with your cruise swap for points!

Depending on your home resort, your rented points would be worth at least $16.00 per rented point towards the cost of the cruise. Anything above that would be due 100-125 days prior to the sailing via ACH Bank Transfer (credit card payments cannot be used). Please note that any points rented towards the Cruise Swap Program must have a check in date prior to your sail date.

The benefit of the swap is that you are not responsible for any upfront costs - we pay the deposit. You are also not issued a 1099 for your rental income as these points are swapped for the cruise - an additional savings. We also help with all aspects of the rental process - matching you with potential renters to maximize the # of points rented at the best value.

Please let us know the number of guests traveling (and their ages if under 18) and we would be happy to price out a sailing for you.

Let me know if you have any questions and I look forward to working with you and getting your cruise swap started!"

My immediate thought is that if I'm doing all the work to rent anyway, I may as well rent myself for the full amount.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 22, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
... My immediate thought is that if I'm doing all the work to rent anyway, I may as well rent myself for the full amount.
I'd agree, you're only getting $16 per point and you have to do all the legwork. You'd get a lot more than that renting a confirmed reservation, especially at a popular resort.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 22, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Even renting on the Dibb at £14-14.50 pp will give you more than $16 at the current exchange rate, without the extra hassle, am unsure if this is worth it or not, sounds a bit complicated
Old 18 Jun 22, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I do wonder if the $16 is for SSR, OKW, VB & HHI as they advertise that they pay less for those than the other resorts, and they've said 'at least $16'. The calculator is also showing $18 for the other resorts if you're above the 7 month window.

A bit better, but still it's just renting your points then using the income to pay for the cruise / hotel, rather than an actual swap. Looking at the cash price also, I'm not sure how their examples of half the amount of points have been reached, I can't get to that figure, it must have been worked out on discounted cruises.

I've replied with specifics and asked for more details so will update the thread, but I think I've already ruled it out, like Jakki said, possibly a good option to have them behind you if you're struggling to rent your points, so maybe helpful for some.

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 22, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I do wonder if the $16 is for SSR, OKW, VB & HHI as they advertise that they pay less for those than the other resorts, and they've said 'at least $16'. The calculator is also showing $18 for the other resorts if you're above the 7 month window.

A bit better, but still it's just renting your points then using the income to pay for the cruise / hotel, rather than an actual swap. Looking at the cash price also, I'm not sure how their examples of half the amount of points have been reached, I can't get to that figure, it must have been worked out on discounted cruises.

I've replied with specifics and asked for more details so will update the thread, but I think I've already ruled it out, like Jakki said, possibly a good option to have them behind you if you're struggling to rent your points, so maybe helpful for some.
Good point, I know that when I owned at OKW it rented for less (along with SSR) than other resorts so the lower amount might be for them but even $18 for the popular resorts isn’t that great considering they’re also going to get commission for booking your cruise. If you own at a popular resort it’s probably better to rent yourself and use a TA that offers an incentive to book

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

For the cruise swap program, you would rent your DVC points through the DVC Rental Store to our guests and the income earned from the rental of these points would go towards the cost of the cruise. For example, if you did rent your Copper Creek Points within the 7-11 month booking window, you would need to rent 292 points for the May 20 sailing in order to pay for it in full. Through DVC we can book a stay with an arrival up to May 19, so I don't think we would have an issue renting your points.

Hmm that sailing in the same category direct with DVC is 307 points per person.

The above calculation is worked out on $18 a point for CCV at 7-11 months.

Edited at 10:33 AM.