Old 6 Mar 12, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Third Timers taking First Timers - lots of pics and vids

Hello everyone,

Thought I would do one of these pre-trip report things to keep myself amused as signed off work for a while and bored (had a back op 2 weeks ago). Anyhoo, heres the plot.

Myself, my better half and gorgeous little girl Emily are literally veterans now on the Florida scene. We first booked to go in 2008 (for August 2009) for our 'Holiday of a lifetime' - 3 weeks in a villa, and booked it through Thomson. I won't bore you to death with the details, but Thomson didn't crown themselves in glory before we actually lifted off trying to rip me off but various visits to the travel agent, a massive unread 20ish page document of evidence against them sent to their complaints department which they didn't read and then letters and discussions with ABTA and it got sorted

So the first trip you think might have been tainted - no way, it was everything we had hoped and more. The 2009 trip was actually only supposed to happen in 2010 for my better halves 30th but we just couldn't wait and had the money already there, burning a hole in my account. We didn't expect to go again - well not for a while anyway but as soon as we got back, a few weeks of depression kicked in and I decided to do a bit of looking around for a DIY holiday, so wasn't long before the Villa and Flights were booked for a trip in 2010.

So - whats different about the 2012 trip? We couldn't go in 2011 which was probably a good thing to give us a break as my sister was getting married in Santorini in August so that was our holiday and it was amazing. To make up for not going in 2011, we booked the newly acquired villa of the owner we booked with for 2010 last July before we went to Santorini so we knew Florida was going to happen again. The biggest thing thats different about this trip is two of our friends are coming with us - this was not initially planned but our constant bleating on how good Florida is to all our friends paid off - not only do we get people to show around but we get to share some of the costs too.

So who is going 2012
Dave (me)
Lindsay (my other half)
Emily (our 8 year old girl)
Steve (my friend going back 20 years)
Sarah (Steves partner)

Where are we staying?
Last trip we stayed in villa in Rolling Hills and this time we are going to be in a Sunset Lakes Villa which has a stunning view right out front.

Where will we be going whilst in Florida?
Everywhere Our family love Disney Parks, and myself and Lindsay love Epcot and strolling around the World Showcase. Cant wait to show Steve and Sarah around this as they will be as impressed as we were with it. Love the end of night fireworks and know they will too. We will also be going to the Universal Parks a lot as thing Steve will absolutely love them - and I will get to go on more rides as its been limited with a young child and only two adults on the past trips

My friend Steve and partner Lindsay absolutely love their food - so think there are going to be some epic meals consumed whilst we are out there. We planned on going to Manny's Chophouse last visit but due to me getting ill we lost a few days and something had to drop off the plan. I think with Steve there it will be like a Man vs Food episode because that bloke can eat and he is slimming down now for the holiday to make room to put it all back on when there lol.

Well, I am going to finish this initial post by starting to put a few pictures from our past trips on starting with pictures from 2009. I have hundreds of pictures and video from our trips but have selected some more significant ones from both trips to put on here and will start this now (I love seeing others holiday pics from Florida so hope you enjoy some of these).

First morning after arriving (and a 4am swim by me). The villa we got allocated by Thomson was in Clear Creek and far exceeded our expectations (reading some of the trip reports on the Thomson website I think we were one of the very fortunate ones who paid for a standard 'Bronze' villa and got a much bigger and better one).

Standard one of the castle to start the theme park pictures

Lego Monster at Downtown Disney (we got a small one of these recently from the new Lego store at Liverpool One)

Outside the McDonalds at Downtown Disney which is now gone - glad we got to go in 2009 as was boarded up on our 2010 trip.

Thats all for this initial post - keep tuned for more pictures and stories of past visits and what we plan to show our friends on this years trip.

Dave
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)

Edited at 08:01 PM.
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 12, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Well, back in 2009 I checked before we left to see if there were any launches planned for Kennedy Space Centre and there were none. I got to the Thomson desk at Sanford and was presented with our details for the villa and asked to go to a welcome meeting to register the villa the following day (a downside of not going DIY). Anyway, when the agent was giving me the details she asked if I was aware there was a Shuttle Launch in the next few days - when I asked when it was about 1:30am on 25th August - which was Lindsay's Birthday! Following day when registering the villa ended up parting with a good few hundred $'s for this which had to include a coach transfer to the centre because it was that coach that had to take us to the launch viewing area. That was a long day - and because of when we were picked up we only got very limited time to see the space centre itself before having to get on the coach to be taken to the Banana River viewing area, where we proceeded to spend about 5 hours in the dark - only for the launch to be scrapped when there was less than a minute left! We decided not to take them up on the kind offer of spending another $25 each for the coach transfer to come back the next day for another attempt - good job because that got scrapped too.

Will we go to the Space Centre this year?
Not decided yet and won't be pre-buying tickets. We went there for a full day on our 2010 trip and had a good look around so have kind of seen most of everything and don't think anything really has changed. But, our friends haven't so its up to them if we go when there. I don't think we will end up going - but wouldn't be unhappy if they decided they wanted to.

Here are some more pics

Me and Emily outside the entrance

This was a good few hours into our wait - Emily quite tired.

It was at this time I really wished I had a very high end camera - couldn't really get a good pic of the shuttle on the pad - was kind of banking on getting some excellent ones when it was lighting up the sky for me.

Following morning - decided after a very long day and only getting back to the villa after 4am we would have a more relaxed day - it was Lindsay's birthday too
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 12, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Final one for now as don't want to spoil you all

Some of the must do places for us to visit as I have already said are the Disney Parks. We are going to get the 14 day Ultimate Tickets so we can come and go as we please and park hop to our hearts content. We are also going to get the Universal Tickets so we can hop between those parks too for 14 days.

One thing we have never done at Disney - which is a total travesty, is Boardwalk. This is a definite must do when we visit Epcot. Never been through the International Gateway so will be doing this and a trip to Beaches and Cream is definitely on the cards too (won't be doing the Kitchen Sink though - I can't eat Bananas )

Here are a few more pics

Epcot - would be more realistic, especially in the United Kingdom if there were crisp packets flying around and was less clean - but think I will stick to the lovely, steam cleaned version we have come to expect.

Strange Moth thing spotted next to me in 'Germany'

Universal City Walk at night is just gorgeous to walk around

Old 6 Mar 12, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggerishtink
Apprentice Imagineer

Lovely photos, hope your back is better for your trip
Old 6 Mar 12, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Thanks. Sure my back will be ok - saw the neurosurgeon earlier and he is very pleased at my progress after 2 weeks, but did tell me not to get over confident . Hopefully back in the gym 'properly' by the end of the month. In a few days going to start swimming to get movement back
Old 6 Mar 12, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Great start and some fab pics, looking forward to more
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 12, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida2009
slightly serious Dibber

Brilliant start mate. There is nothing like doing a pre trip report to feed the excitement. Love the photos. We got pics of the castle with that stupid crane behind as well in 2009. Looking forward to hearing more.
Florida2009 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 12, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Cheers for the replies

Yeah, that darned crane - but it was gone first week in September when the haloween decorations were out ... there may be some MK Halloween pics on the next 'pic' update tomorrow
Old 7 Mar 12, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Well, heres another few pictures and chit chat about our upcoming trip.

We visited Seaworld on both our trips to Florida so far and think we have done it now. The only thing we have not seen which we would like to is the Shamu Rocks show - see the daytime one in both 2009 (when the trainers were in the water with the Whales) and in 2010 after the accident (where they were only in the water when the Whales weren't in the same part). I fully expected the show in 2010 to be a let down but it wasn't - was really pleased how they had coped after the tragedy.

So - will we be going this year. Its undecided and down to our friends again - if they want to go we will go with them as its a great park to spend the day.

Here are some more pictures

Love this picture. Took a few just on the bounce and managed to catch this one by pure fluke.

I think this is Dawn, the trainer who tragically lost her life - I do have a couple more pictures of her but thought I would keep it to this one.

Old 7 Mar 12, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
And now for some random pics from our 2009 trip (just working through the pics I have selected to show you in chronological order)

Mickey from Hollywood Studios

Diving into our pool which was luckily quite deep at that end (so no trips to the ER for me).

Lindsay and Emily are Dr Seuss fans (Emily loves cats - you can tell from that cat she takes everywhere). They love the Seuss Island at Islands of Adventure

Magic Kingdom in September when they had changed over to Halloween theme all through the park (they do this overnight - how cool is that)

Band on at Universal City Walk - was really cool to have a live band playing as we had a walk about - they were good if I remember too

Good Old Golden Arches at Downtown Disney. Shame these aren't there now as it was convenient to pop in for a Milkshake when passing.