Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 23 Jun 19, 01:34 AM  
Link to this Post
fingerssl
Proud to wear my Ears

Virgin economy menu

Flying out in 11 days time. Can anyone confirm what the Virgin Economy menu is at the moment please. I’ve seen the sample menu on the VA website and if it is that then airport sarnies it will have to be.

Edited at 01:36 AM.
fingerssl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 02:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I came out at the beginning of the month and it’s the same menu
I ate bits of of it just
I normally fly BA and never have an issue plane food is what it is
But this was the worst in a long time
I’ll be eating at out back and taking some cornflakes in a bowl and buy a carton of milk :air side and stick it in the cool lunch bag I have
For the return flight
On way last week on return he’d ordered 2 gluten free for him and GDs age almost
3 they got chicken mash and broccoli then b/f yogurt fruit OJ cheese and oat crackers
Guy next to them was way jealous when he got some awful chicken curry type thing and a cereal bar for break fast

Edited at 02:35 AM.
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mercator
Proud to wear my Ears

I don't know what the sample menu has on it, but we flew out here to Orlando yesterday from Gatwick on VS27 and this was the menu:

I had the gluten free menu, which was better than I expected. The main was chicken with black pepper (thankfully not the chicken & mushroom shown as a GF option on the main menu!) General consensus from the others on the regular menu I think was "alright".

Edited at 07:07 AM.
Mercator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

It looks like the meals have changed since October, which was a curry, and sausage and mash. I’m not keen on anything on this menu - Boots meal deal it is!
Thanks for the pic
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Love the “classic pork” chilli con carne I always thought the “classic” was beef
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
ManCity
Helping Minnie

Implicit in the OP's question is an assumption that all flights have the same menu and that it will still be the same in 11 days time. Is that really the case?

Mercator's menu is different to the website's sample one. If they only had one menu then there would be no need to call the website one a 'sample'. VA have a lot of transatlantic routes, from different UK airports to different US ones. Is it necessarily the case that all UK airports provide the same menu? Is it necessarily the case that a specific flight (e.g. VS27) has the same menu every day? How many menus do they have? How do they allocate menus to the various flights during the week? How often do they change them? They don't publish this information.
ManCity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ManCity View Post
Implicit in the OP's question is an assumption that all flights have the same menu and that it will still be the same in 11 days time. Is that really the case?

Mercator's menu is different to the website's sample one. If they only had one menu then there would be no need to call the website one a 'sample'. VA have a lot of transatlantic routes, from different UK airports to different US ones. Is it necessarily the case that all UK airports provide the same menu? Is it necessarily the case that a specific flight (e.g. VS27) has the same menu every day? How many menus do they have? How do they allocate menus to the various flights during the week? How often do they change them? They don't publish this information.
A 'sample' menu on the website is to cover them in case they are let down by their suppliers and have to change menu. Saying sample covera them against any possible complaints.
I don't know the answer to your questions but it's in their interests to have the same menu on all flights from a purely economic and logistical point of view or at least for each destination

I believe VA change menu in Economy every 6 months and UC and PE every 3 months

Edited at 08:54 AM.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

Yes we returned last week and can confirm the menu posted above was the food we got on the way out. I know it’s plane food and I’m not expecting Michelin star but it wasn’t nice. We were in row 37 not sure how the food is served out in order but by time they got to me I only had the veggie option. Have to also admit the afternoon tea wasn’t for me however the scone was nice. On the way home we had pulled pork and mash but again only 1 left when all 4 of us asked for them which surprised me with us being near the front of the plane.
martyn7836 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Boyle73
Imagineer

We all at the chilli on the way out and the pulled pork dish on the way back and didn’t mind either at all.

The sandwich on the way didnt sound so good (pesto and basil doesn’t like me) so we didn’t touch it and the cheese croissant on the way back was just vile 🤢

We take enough snacks on both flights plus we also eat at outback before we take off so the plane meal is really just a snack 😬😆

Edited at 10:26 AM.
Boyle73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

They serve in teams and sections, so being at the front may actually be of no benefit at all.
With any airline economy food, If you can recognise the veg you've done well. If you can recognise the animal the meat came from you're a genius freak of nature.