Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 23 Jul 19, 03:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

Question KSC on a launch day?

Hi

We already have tickets to KSC bought through Orlando Attractions and planned to go on Wednesday, which I’ve just realised is the new date for the launch.

Will our tickets still be valid to get in? We don’t plan on upgrading or seeing the launch from any particular view points (I’m not sure if we will stay to view it, especially if it’s late at night).

Is it going to be crazy busy? Does anyone have any tips?

Thank you.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Nordboy
Excited about Disney

I think you can view it from the visitor centre with your normal entry ticket. If you wanted to view from the launch areas then you have to buy an add-on ticket that gets you closer to the launch.

I've been lucky to see two shuttle launches from KSC. The first very late in the night from a long way away, but still impressive. The second STS-120 we saw from KSC itself. Still rates as one of the most impressive things I've ever seen/ experienced. Not sure how the new rocket compare but I'd still make an effort to see more.
Nordboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Dreaming
Getting Excited

Dreaming's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

We accidentally went on a launch day. We wasn’t allowed to go on any tours that take you out to see the launch pads and etc. but they refunded our ticket because apparently we looked pretty gutted 😂 they set up an area to view the launch and if you can wait it out as launch times usually get delayed (ours by 2 hours!) it’s amazing! So we were lucky in the end!

It wasn’t crazy busy, I’d say like normal! Just take some sort of shade like an umbrella as there is no shade if planning on staying!
2000 - DLP on-site, 2002 - Florida Villa Park, 2004 - Best western (Birthday Surprise!), 2005 - DLP off-site, 2006 - Christmas at Legacy Park, 2008 - Highlands reserve, 2010 - High Grove, 2013 - WDW 13 of us and a wedding!, 2015 - Taking the partner for their first time, Mabella South, 2017 - Parents beautiful wedding! Providence/Tuscan Hills, 2018 - DLP in summer!, 2019 - our wedding! 💓
Dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Based on my single experience of (also accidentally) going on a launch day, the traffic approaching KSC can get quite bad, so you may want to factor that into journey time for getting there. We didn’t stay for the launch, but I would guess the trafffic may also be a challenge in the time immediately following the launch.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Certainly worth seeing especially if they plan to return core stage to KSC landing pad.

There FB page is good for updates or just change plans to Thursday.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
ManCity
Helping Minnie

Only a Dibber could think of deliberately avoiding a launch! Seriously? It's the only reason the place exists, so to be able to see one on the day you are going anyway is the best possible news - you should be 'over the moon' with joy! (Sorry). It is at 6.24pm so you have time to see everything else first and the launch window for this one is instantaneous, so it will happen on time (or postponed to another day). You won't be hanging around waiting. It will be a bit busier than usual, but not excessively so. Get there for opening - as usual - as there is lots to see anyway.

Yes, your ticket is valid. According to the KSC web site, they are not even charging extra for the viewing near the Saturn/Apollo Center, so that is first come first served. However, I wouldn't try to watch from there. There is also viewing from either side of the Atlantis building in the main visitor complex - a lawn on the left and bleachers on the right - where they pipe a commentary over the PA. It is a bit further away and you can see the rocket once it clears the tree line in the distance. Because the launch is later in the day, I would advise you to do the normal bus tour to the Saturn/Apollo Center (which is where all the moon stuff is, so is a 'must see') as early as possible in the morning before it gets busier with people going to view the launch from there. Then you can focus on everything else in the main visitor complex, including Atlantis, in the afternoon. Enjoy, I'm jealous!
ManCity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you everyone, your info has been really helpful.

Dreaming - did you pay for extra tours of the launch sites on top of your ticket? Just wondering if we will be able to do the bus tour, which I think is part of the normal ticket.

On further research, the launch is planned for 6.30pm, so the viewing area is available as KSC is open until 7pm - what happens if it’s delayed and KSC closes?

I would happily wait it out, but it’s harder with 3 kids to consider- now thinking of taking their tablets if we do need to wait around. The kids are still waking early so hoping to set off early and spend a full day there.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think you would regret not staying to see and hear the launch. We saw a landing, and that was fantastic. A launch is another level. The kids can have a nap somewhere if it's a late one.
Old 23 Jul 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Dreaming
Getting Excited

Dreaming's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

I think we got refunded the tour which we paid extra for, I think it was the up close tour. I’m pretty sure all tours were cancelled that day though as they can’t travel out when a launch is on ☺️ all complex activities were as normal though so 100% worth the visit!
2000 - DLP on-site, 2002 - Florida Villa Park, 2004 - Best western (Birthday Surprise!), 2005 - DLP off-site, 2006 - Christmas at Legacy Park, 2008 - Highlands reserve, 2010 - High Grove, 2013 - WDW 13 of us and a wedding!, 2015 - Taking the partner for their first time, Mabella South, 2017 - Parents beautiful wedding! Providence/Tuscan Hills, 2018 - DLP in summer!, 2019 - our wedding! 💓
Dreaming is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
sandmoggy
Staying in the Castle

Hi were going tomorrow, weve been unlucky and two holidays running have been there on launch day for it not to happen, but loved the atmosphere! It can be a long wait, bring lots of snacks! Im hoping its third time lucky for us tomorrow, fingers crossed! It will be extra bust tomorrow i think because of the 50th celebrations and i think they have other things going on, but i think youd regret it if you missed it...
sandmoggy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List