Notices

Old 25 May 18, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
UPDATE post #17. SURPRISE! We’re Going To New York... no You’re Not Staying At The Plaza ...

Hi everyone, I love reading trip reports and as there aren't as many for New York I thought I'd give it a go.
We're traveling to NY as a party of 3 - myself, hubby and 15 year old daughter. The title of the trippie is based on my daughters dream to go to New York and stay at the Plaza ( Kevin McAllister in Home Alone 2 - you have a lot to answer for! ).

She has loved this film since was little and she developed a bit of an obsession with visiting New York - my hubby and I went for my 40th birthday7 years ago - she staysd at home with my Mum and had a rare time, however it has been brought up frequently over the years - how could we have gone without her when we know how much she wants to go hmmmm let me think... quite easily actually we had a fab time

So the story behind the booking of this trip...we had been to Orlando in October 2017 had a fabulous time as always... post holiday blues were painful but we were soon organising for Christmas and had a lovely festive period with friends and family... spent a few days away with family over New Year and on the 1st with post-Christmas blues now setting in my hubby took himself to his favourite place!

A few hours of browsing and he mentions that BA have a good sale on and look at the price of a trip to New York in July... flying from Aberdeen too... he didn't need to ask me twice... the fastest holiday decision we've ever made! Woohoo we said we would love to go again but hadn't had a timescale in mind... get me a spreadsheet I've an itinerary to plan!

We decided then that as it was daughters birthday in March we would keep it as a surprise till then - not gonna lie I found this so hard - I really don't know how others can do this so far in advance. So 3 months (and lots of near slip ups later) we revealed on her birthday using a scratchcard from Etsy - thoroughly recommend this idea as part of a reveal for older kids. Alongside a box of NY themed gifts and leaflets kindly sent over by Jonathan (DapperDisNY) we couldn't have hoped for a better reaction!

So after around 50...are we really going? and I just cant believe we're really going! came the question? And the answer... at $350 a night... eh no!

But it's on the spreadsheet and we all know the rules... if it's on the spreadsheet we will definately visit! Can't remember which kind dibber informed me of the 25year celebration of Home Alone 2 which is on at the Plaza this year...so thanks again for the info we will be going to see that.
So the details of the trip are 5 nights at the Intercontinental Times Square travelling from Aberdeen via Heathrow to JFK on Friday 13th July- I thought flights might be quieter that day haha less busy in UC - spare seats ... free upgrades? Such wishful thinking!
We have purchased a 5 attraction New York explorer pass and plan to use this for ESB, TOTR, harbour cruise, The Ride and 9/11 museum. Other plans include Central Park Zoo, The Highline, Brooklyn Bridge, Roosevelt Island Tram and SOL crown visit. We're also looking at tickets for Wicked, I'd have been happy to queue on the day at the ticket booths to try and grab us a bargain but so far they haven't been selling for this show unfortunately - so will probably end up booking them in the next few weeks at full price 😬
So that's it for now I think... 7 weeks today we'll be on the plane... bring it on!

Edited at 09:59 AM. Reason: Update
jools1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
katebush95
VIP Dibber

Mobile

All sounds brilliant! I went to New York last Easter and absolutely loved it 😍😍

Glenbrook Villa April 2009
Highgrove Villa July 2011
New York New York April 2017

Back to the magic take two! November 2022 Pre-Trip report
katebush95 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Oh thanks Judy, it is an amazing place isn’t it... such a buzz about the city... can’t wait to go back 😀😀
Old 30 May 18, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We loved NYC last year can’t wait to be back there in July so much to see and love the atmosphere. People were so friendly and helpful too just a fantastic place to visit!

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Originally Posted by floridafan101 View Post
We loved NYC last year can’t wait to be back there in July so much to see and love the atmosphere. People were so friendly and helpful too just a fantastic place to visit!
Yes we had the same experience when we went last time too, have you been in July before? I am expecting very different weather than on my February trip 😀
Old 31 May 18, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

That's fab it'll be amazing . Been once in Nov and twice in July. I love July and have booked again for next year. My kids love it and my 14 yr old dd had me doing the gossip girl tour last time
And too many canary/Balearic island visits to list
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mrs dee View Post
That's fab it'll be amazing . Been once in Nov and twice in July. I love July and have booked again for next year. My kids love it and my 14 yr old dd had me doing the gossip girl tour last time
Hi there and thank you it’s good to know you enjoyed that time of year, my daughter is not into gossip girl but loves friends so might have to search out their building... if there’s anything you think I’ve missed that we should do please advise me 😀😀
Old 1 Jun 18, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jools1302 View Post
Hi there and thank you it’s good to know you enjoyed that time of year, my daughter is not into gossip girl but loves friends so might have to search out their building... if there’s anything you think I’ve missed that we should do please advise me 😀😀
You've got all the main things planned you'll have a ball. We also did a day trip to Washington DC and I'd highly recommend a boat in Central Park. We did the circle line cruise too along with your list. Can I make a suggestion if she hasn't seen gossip girl ... it's amazing even I got addicted 🙈 ... and has way more New York scenes than friends . If she has Netflix she could download for the plane

Ps if you walk over Brooklyn bridge you must go to dumbo street in the left. That's the street where you see the Empire State Building through the bridge - it's iconic and a fab photo opportunity - totally stumbled on it by accident last time and not at all far from the bridge

My 2015 trip report
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...light=Nyc+pofq
Still to do a 2017 one

Edited at 09:30 AM.
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 18, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
singerella
Excited about Disney

Oh wow, what a lucky girl! I was just like your daughter and was a childhood dream, but I had to wait until I was 30 to go! We've been to NY twice now with no kids and must admit to feeling a bit guilty, but we had an absolute ball! Can't wait to take them all there one day. We managed to get crown tickets for statue of liberty last time which was fantastic, highly recommend if you can bag them...they go early though. The views from Ellis island were amazing too. Good luck on getting tickets for Wicked, we saw Lion King (booked in advance) but hubby almost fell to sleep as he was so tired from walking all day! On a different note, I read lots of NY chick-lit before going if your daughters into that? I heart new york was a good one. Whatever you decide, have fun, it'll be incredible!
singerella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 18, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Biscaya
Excited about Disney

Hi, your trip sounds fab and very similar to our own. We travel later this month also with our 15 yr old DD. First time for all of us, we're so excited. Counting the days
Biscaya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List